Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2015, 09:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
They sure are nice.. but too expensive. I don't need one of an edition of 25 if I'm going to hang it in my garage with my bike stuff, which is where I'd want to put it. Figure cost well over $100 by the time you've framed it nicely enough to do justice to a $50 print.

Giclee is actually the pretentious art word for "Inkjet".

It has a really funny French meaning that's almost a joke on a customer.

I can make A3+ "Giclee" prints like those at home. They cost me less than $5 per print.
When you do let me know and I'll buy some....

Oh I get it....I like these and if I had any walls, would get a few. Be good to sell at Vecchio's also.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 06-09-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:18 AM

I get it too and $50 really *isn't* that expensive I just think for cycling posters he might be better with editions of 1000 and a lower price. For me a cycling theme doesn't fit into the living room/dining room/family room/bedroom where I do have expensive prints. For me a cycling photo/poster is going in the garage and I don't want anything expensive in the garage or the basement. (Heck I have sold my own photos for more than this too)

I don't even have a hard time with the framing costs, I've done plenty of expensive frames too. (I have the fancy "giclee" printer cause I'm into photography.)

Comparison with a Richard Sachs frame is wrong. The whole thing with the Giclee remark is because there is near 0 marginal cost to make more of these. A custom frame has a huge marginal cost because it is a big labor. There is also near zero chance that your expensive Sach bike is going to be devalued if and when Richard decides he's going to make 1 million frames next year.

You can print these on a $500-1000 printer all day long. A run of 25 will not even exhaust a $100-150 set of ink and fine art paper is somewhere between $3-5 per page in the smaller size. If you're going to pay a lot you're strictly paying for the non-marginal cost & the artists idea of what he or she deserves.

Since it is all about what the artist thinks he or she deserves you can easily make the argument that if these are an edition of 25 they should be $500 or $5000 each.

Didn't mean to belittle the artist.. it all comes down to devaluation of any type of art (photography included) that can be duplicated perfectly via digital technology compared to any form of art/trade that still requires lots of manual labor. (Sculpture, original painting/drawing, even handmade bike frames, musical instruments, etc..)

Last edited by benb; 06-09-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:10 PM

Some great original posters here -

https://postergroup.com/search?q=bicycles