Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayomatic View Post
I forwarded Patrick Sercu's email to the seller. He thanked me and said he updated the ebay auction. He did update it, by listing the frame and fork only for a $1690 USD asking price (including worldwide shipping).

That still seems mighty steep for just the frame and fork.
IMO, that's still high but not ridiculous. I don't believe that it'll sell for that. If you're truly interested in it, send him an offer that is more in line with the market. Perhaps $1400 on the high side?

Texbike
Old 05-28-2014, 09:29 AM
Epic=No Smiles

I sold a boring color MX-L in a similar size here for $825 (I think, maybe $875). I think that one is a very good deal at $1200 and still reasonable at $1500.

If you like it, I think you should buy it. You won't find another.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:13 AM

thinking about it

I'll see. I've never done a build before so getting a complete bike was more attractive to me, and all those Campy parts were a nice incentive, though I do really like the frame/fork. I guess I could turn it into a long-term project...it's not an immediate need, just a want!

Whoops, I see he's had 2 offers already. I guess I opened myself up to competition by posting here! :-)

Last edited by Rayomatic; 05-28-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Whoops, I see he's had 2 offers already. I guess I opened myself up to competition by posting here! :-)
I doubt that the forum members here are the ONLY ones that look at auctions for MXLs...

Since the bike didn't belong to Sercu, it doesn't have any significant provenance or anything that would make it stand out from another MXL other than the paint. The alternative is to find a lower-priced MXL in a different color scheme and have someone like Al Wanta slap a fresh coat of paint on it in the colors that you like. However, you would still end up paying $700-$900 for a decent MXL frameset and would spend at least $500 to replicate the paint job that is on the bike in the auction. AND the paint wouldn't be original (assuming here that the paint on the bike in the auction IS original).

Texbike
Old 05-28-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
I doubt that the forum members here are the ONLY ones that look at auctions for MXLs... Texbike
Indeed! Just japes of course. All's fair in the wild marketplace.

I suppose with a build I can spread the cost of components out over time.

UPDATE: looks like the seller declined both those offers. Not sure, but it also looks like they were both made by the same person.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:09 PM

Aren't the most important considerationso I want it? Can I afford it? Is there anything else I would rather have for the price?

OTOH if you think you will want to sell it pretty soon THEN other peoples' opinions as to "market value" may be important.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 05-28-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:12 PM

A point I've often made to talk myself into buying something I want but can't rationally justify! If I had oodles of cash to burn I'd think nothing of it, but a rich man I ain't, hence must haggle and wring hands.

I would not be selling it soon, I'm sure. I'm more of a "buy and hold" kind of guy.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Aren't the most important considerationso I want it? Can I afford it? Is there anything else I would rather have for the price?

OTOH if you think you will want to sell it pretty soon THEN other peoples' opinions as to "market value" may be important.
I really agree with this post. Same applies to Delta brakes, Merlin Newsboys, etc. How does one really put a value on something used and very desirable to a very small niche. It's clear you want it and why not. You've already put hundreds of dollars of time into your research, in the long run it'll make a much better story if you do buy it.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:35 PM

There are no bikes i bought that i really regretted even if sold shortly with a small loss. There are however a few i dident buy that i regret very much not pursuing. Its the ones that gets away you think about, not the ones you had and dismissed for whatever reasons imo.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
You nailed it, Christian. My main problem is I'm always attracted to one-of-a-kindness, which does no kindness to my bank balance. I know it was on ebay for a while. My sister lives in Brussels (I'm 2nd-gen Canadian, Belgian parents) and is visiting me in Canada this summer. Says she could bring it with her, saving me lots on shipping, duties, etc. So for me it's a matter of how high could I offer without getting into "stupid" territory.
Since you have an "in" in Belgium, I would just search the craigslists over there for a nice leader and have your sister bring it over on the plane. I have three Merckx' and they were all shipped over from Belgium by a friend of mine and even though the shipping charge is high, I am still way ahead as I am not paying eBay prices.

www.2dehands.be
www.kapaza.be
Old 05-28-2014, 01:22 PM

Thanks, Jet. I've looked around on 2dehands.be and 2ememain.be (I can handle French and understand a bit of Flemish to boot). Didn't know about kapaza, so thanks for that.

Seen other bikes there, but this particular one has really caught my eye. Can always make an offer and see what happens.

Last edited by Rayomatic; 05-28-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
There are no bikes i bought that i really regretted even if sold shortly with a small loss. There are however a few i dident buy that i regret very much not pursuing. Its the ones that gets away you think about, not the ones you had and dismissed for whatever reasons imo.
Heheh, I can always afford to regret, but can't always afford to buy!
Old 05-28-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Heheh, I can always afford to regret, but can't always afford to buy!
Can you really put a price on piece of mind ?
I get what you r saying ofc you dont want to pay a ludicrous amount but if its in the ballpark and its a frame thats rare and you really want, its hard to resist and the times i did i often regret it later.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:14 PM

Update

I'm arranging to buy the frame from the seller outside Ebay by paying him in monthly installments (which helps me finance the bugger), and he'll ship when paid in full.
That'll give me time to figure out what kinds of goodies to put on it for a classy build!

Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Epic=No Smiles

Nice. You'll never regret it. That bike is gorgeous. And MX-Ls ride so so nice!

Tags
merckx, mx-leader, valuation