Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayomatic View Post
Thanks, donevwil, for all your input. I was thinking "hey, if the guy doesn't budge on price, then just pick up an MXL frame off ebay, get it painted the same, and buy the parts." And then I started looking into what it would cost...

I wouldn't want to be the only one who thinks the Sercu connection makes it worth more, as I'd be stuck if I ever had to sell it, which is a big reason why I wanted to get some other opinions.
Not that you'd ever do it, nor that I condone it, but I often use the "what could I get for it parted out" theory when I'm looking at bikes, classic cars, etc. A skilled ebay flipper could pull in something on the $2500 - $3000 front without considering the provenance.

Last edited by donevwil; 05-15-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
The Sercu bike is more than I would pay, but it's one of a kind. If that means there's another buyer who would pay close to that price is another question. It's been for sale a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time.
You nailed it, Christian. My main problem is I'm always attracted to one-of-a-kindness, which does no kindness to my bank balance. I know it was on ebay for a while. My sister lives in Brussels (I'm 2nd-gen Canadian, Belgian parents) and is visiting me in Canada this summer. Says she could bring it with her, saving me lots on shipping, duties, etc. So for me it's a matter of how high could I offer without getting into "stupid" territory.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:16 AM

Ebay update

The seller put it back up on ebay with some more details about components. He's asking $3490 USD including shipping from France.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271499666170?...84.m1438.l2648

I've sent him some other questions by email, but he hasn't answered yet.
I wonder if he was insulted by my offer? But really, he's asking quite a bit for a bike whose provenance he hasn't given any evidence for (prior Patrick Sercu ownership, which is what I mainly asked him about), and I already offered more than the top price suggested for a complete MX-Leader by Fishbike.
(then again, a frame alone just sold on ebay for $922:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-90s-E...item20e0ef9c0d)
Thoughts?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:51 AM

Hmmm. I'm not sure how I missed this thread before...

Here's my take on it - MXLs usually bring a premium of 30-50% more than comparable condition/color Corsas/Centuries/Etc. MXLs in the most desirable paint schemes (think team colors like Motorola, TKom, Belgian colors, etc) tend to bring premiums over their comparable condition but "lesser" painted MXL brethren. Even taking the potential Sercu ownership possibility out of the equation, I still believe that this would be a $1200-$1400 frameset due to the paint and condition.

Five-pivot Deltas bring $250 pretty easily in decent condition. First Gen Ergo shifters (notice the small bump at the bottom of the shifters?) bring about $250 as well due to their rarity. C/8 speed Record cranksets bring around $125 as do C Record seatposts. I'm not sure about Shamals at this point, but perhaps $400? HS/BBs bring about $75 each in good shape.

IMO, there's a solid $2000-$2500 in pieces there. I would think that an offer in that range would be reasonable. However, keep in mind that complete bikes are rarely worth as much as the sum of their parts.

EDIT....... I forgot the derailleurs! A nice, 8 speed Record derailleur set could bring a couple hundred bucks. HOWEVER, looking at a close-up of the rear derailleur on this bike, it appears that it may have the crack above the top bolt that so many of the Campy derailleurs from that era had. I would be sure to ask about it...

Good luck with it! It's a beautiful bike!!!

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 05-22-2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: More info added.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:57 AM
Epic=No Smiles

If that bike were a 57, I'd happily buy it at $2500, because it's a unique bike with a nice parts spec, and like Texbike, I couldn't care less if I could resell an MX Leader in my size.

But $3500 for me is a "no way" price.

BTW, do you really think there is any question on the provenance of the bike? That seems silly. The seller is well-known, Patrick is friends with Eddy, etc. The price is stiff, but I think the bike is clearly what the seller says it is.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:58 AM
Epic=No Smiles

BTW, that saddle is beastly.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:11 AM

I agree with the two comments above me - it's a truly lovely bike, I dig the paint and it has pricey bits on it. I'd place it's value at around $2000ish as well. I probably would not pay the seller's price, but others might have more money than me. He's high, but it's his bike. I have bikes I wouldn't sell for what I thought their average value was.

If you have the cash, and it's worth it to you...go for it. I do think it's ambitious pricing.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian View Post
BTW, do you really think there is any question on the provenance of the bike? That seems silly. The seller is well-known, Patrick is friends with Eddy, etc. The price is stiff, but I think the bike is clearly what the seller says it is.
I don't know the seller, or his reputation. I just think it's a good general policy to be skeptical before forking over big money ("no way" money, as you said!), especially when treading unfamiliar waters. I'm no expert, so I can't look at Sercu's name painted on a top tube (which, let's face it, is something easy to do), and say "yep, that's the real deal alright" with enough confidence to hand over upwards of $3k. But I'm asking him questions that I think can be reasonably answered by an honest seller, which I like to think him to be, and will be keeping in mind the nominal value of the bike w/out the provenance, which I thank everyone (including you and texbike) for advising on.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:30 AM
aka RAEKWON

also nobody seems to have mentioned the shamals which in great condition can go up to like $700 or more.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
also nobody seems to have mentioned the shamals which in great condition can go up to like $700 or more.
I did. However, I wasn't sure of an accurate value so stated $400ish.

Texbike
Old 05-22-2014, 10:39 AM

The heart wants what the heart wants.

That being said, lot of simpler ways to get into an MXL.

The Sercu connection is an excellent one -- if legit -- and the parts will draw quite a pretty penny as well if you wanted to go in a different direction.

However, that being said, for me, I'd pass and look for something that's a bit less one-off.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:48 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
I did. However, I wasn't sure of an accurate value so stated $400ish.

Texbike

oh yeah you did

I sold my ventos for about $300 with a broken spoke, I see ventos go for $400 and shamals go for way more, specially in mint condition (those seem in amazing shape)
Old 05-22-2014, 10:58 AM

MX Leader

I think many of these that come up for sale are over-priced.
Consider that you are buying a 20 year old frame that will result in a heavy full bike (not an issue to some but we do live in the age of lightweight bikes).
Also, many feel like the MX Leader is over-build for all but strong and/or heavy riders.
If that is really your jam and you like nostalgia- go for it. If you want a really nice bike for a lot of riding you should look at a modern steel bike. Better in every way.
Also, I don't consider a pro ridden/owned bike to be a plus. Especially if it was raced on. They put their gear through all sorts of torture.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I think many of these that come up for sale are over-priced.
Consider that you are buying a 20 year old frame that will result in a heavy full bike (not an issue to some but we do live in the age of lightweight bikes).
Also, many feel like the MX Leader is over-build for all but strong and/or heavy riders.
If that is really your jam and you like nostalgia- go for it. If you want a really nice bike for a lot of riding you should look at a modern steel bike. Better in every way.
Also, I don't consider a pro ridden/owned bike to be a plus. Especially if it was raced on. They put their gear through all sorts of torture.
Heretic! How dare you!?!?!?! Burn him!!!!

Texbike
Old 05-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Epic=No Smiles

They ride nice.

Any bike made for Patrick Sercu in 1996 probably wasn't chucked in the back of the Solo Superia service course...

Tags
merckx, mx-leader, valuation