Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanE View Post
Not requested and I don't know.
I weigh 168 am I too fat for these?
Are you worried they make your arse look fat?
Old 01-14-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post

I won't be getting those wheels then. They might be great wheels, but I've known too many people both in real life and on other forums that have had Chinese brand/company wheels fail while riding, and it's my arse on the line, so I won't take the chance, but you all go on ahead, it's perfectly fine with me since it's not my arse on those wheels.
Xiamen is a bicycle manufacturing hub. If your wheel doesn't say ENVE on it, it was probably made there alongside 95% of the rest of carbon wheels on this planet.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:54 PM

Peter Chisholm approved

Peter likes BTLOS for Chinese rims. Built a set for me and they've been excellent.

Just saying.

Jon
Old 01-14-2022, 03:31 PM
Picshooter

It would be interesting to see a "family tree" as to who actually makes rims, wheel sets for other brands. My guess is that there would be some brands that wouldn't want that info to get out.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:37 AM

Trying silicone ESI bar tape. Super tacky, medium-thick, it feels nice and smelled horrible removing from the package. It can supposedly be wrapped and used on both sides and is easy to customize cushion in key spots based on tightness.

Would be an excellent practice wrap tape since it has no adhesive and doesn’t mind being stretched.

Coming from Silca nastro medium thickness, which I liked until I didn’t. It bonded to the bar and was a PITA to remove. Never again!

Old 01-15-2022, 10:17 PM

Another Perfetto RoS LS

I really like these & for me they have a much wider temp range of usefulness than even what Castelli claims

Vary the base from no sleeve to long for temps & the zip vents on the sides really create a venturi like effect if you open the front zip a bit if heating up

Really like these

Sigma sport has pretty good prices on some colors now & if you use SIGNUP10 you get another 10% off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Perfetto Red.jpg (50.7 KB, 327 views)

Last edited by flying; 01-15-2022 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:51 AM

I absolutely did not need this piece. It's sort of a niche piece-between a base layer (they say mid layer) and a jersey. It's borderline ridiculously expensive for a base layer. But it is so luxe and comfortable, and surprisingly warm, and as light as a light base layer. The detail is over the top too with merino in the sleeves, arms, and back. I can sleep in it on camping trips. It can replace two pieces. Wear it off bike. So justification.

I have a few items from Velocio and all seem to be really good. I like that they are quasi local and that they have sustainability and social justice elements to their mission. The quality is very high and so far their pieces seem to fit my body better, form fitting torso and waist without tight shoulders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mens-alpha-longsleeve-navy-front_2000x.jpg (93.6 KB, 290 views)
Old 01-16-2022, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
I absolutely did not need this piece. It's sort of a niche piece-between a base layer (they say mid layer) and a jersey. It's borderline ridiculously expensive for a base layer. But it is so luxe and comfortable, and surprisingly warm, and as light as a light base layer. The detail is over the top too with merino in the sleeves, arms, and back. I can sleep in it on camping trips. It can replace two pieces. Wear it off bike. So justification.

I have a few items from Velocio and all seem to be really good. I like that they are quasi local and that they have sustainability and social justice elements to their mission. The quality is very high and so far their pieces seem to fit my body better, form fitting torso and waist without tight shoulders.
I got one of these in orange not too long ago and 100% agree.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
Peter likes BTLOS for Chinese rims. Built a set for me and they've been excellent.

Just saying.

Jon
Yup..thanks..
Phil writes-
Quote:
It would be interesting to see a "family tree" as to who actually makes rims, wheel sets for other brands. My guess is that there would be some brands that wouldn't want that info to get out.
I don't know but I'll bet 1 or 2 or 3 factories in China are making all the rims and wheels you are seeing these days, carbon wise. Including some 'American' wheel companies..who are using 'private label' hubs.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 01-16-2022 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:43 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post

Just saying.

Jon
I've kept that in mind for my last few sets of rims, but went with Nextie instead. BTLOS didn't have the profiles or the depths I was looking for.

These are wheelsets 5 & 6 I've built with Nextie rims

M
Old 01-16-2022, 04:45 PM

Red Bull and a Snickers bar today. I was dragging ass towards the end.
Old 01-16-2022, 05:10 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
The quality is very high and so far their pieces seem to fit my body better, form fitting torso and waist without tight shoulders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I got one of these in orange not too long ago and 100% agree.
Can either of you compare the sizing/fit of this piece to their jerseys? Same for the jackets. Thanks
Old 01-16-2022, 05:53 PM

Well my latest would be this MB I picked up Monday. I just had to admit that the knees are now so bad that hiking the local mountain trails are out of the question. Yet I must have my time in the woods to keep my sanity. So I'm going see how the ol' body handles mountain biking now days. As much as I love my old steel road bikes there's been too much advance in MB tech not to go that route.

Fuel EX 8 XT, hopefully a good choice for all around riding.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
Can either of you compare the sizing/fit of this piece to their jerseys? Same for the jackets. Thanks
I got a size medium and am 6’ 160lb, 40” chest. It fits snug. In Assos and Rapha i wear size large. Most casual US clothing is size M for me.

If I were buying for at home, more casual, size large would be best.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:23 PM
Adrenaline Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I got a size medium and am 6’ 160lb, 40” chest. It fits snug. In Assos and Rapha i wear size large. Most casual US clothing is size M for me.

If I were buying for at home, more casual, size large would be best.
Thanks. I'm thinking about one of these for xc skiing, hiking and cold nights. The radiator mesh jersey I have is snug and that's what has me thinking about going up a size.