Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2022, 09:02 PM

Pain after hernia operation

In October I underwent laparoscopic surgery where mesh was applied to correct an inguinal hernia. I experienced soreness after the procedure that was centered around irregular pain and constant sensitivity to my testicle on the affected side.

During two follow-up visits my surgeon said this is likely caused by trauma to my spermatic cord. Without specifics he stated if this pain did not subside before my next visit in early February, he would then recommend steps to alleviate the problem. The pain and sensitivity continue and are worsening.

Has anyone has experienced similar postoperative pain after inguinal hernia surgery and what treatment was performed to remedy the situation? One of my concerns is this will impact my ability to continue cycling among other activities.
Old 01-12-2022, 01:42 AM

So I haven't personally experienced that but I am a urologist and have treated similar. Obviously any comments by me are generalizations from my experience and may or may not apply to you.

I have seen patients present with testis pain following both laparoscopic and open inguinal hernia repair. Many times the pain has resolved with time. A couple of possible etiologies, none of which speak to the quality of the surgeon, would be nerve injury during the dissection or nerve entrapment/irritation by the mesh placed. Options can include removal of the mesh (then the surgery may have been for nothing), a nerve block (injecting anesthetic and a steroid into the spermatic cord-if works can do a nerve ablation or surgery to divide the nerves to the testicle), physical therapy, medications such as elavil or Lyrica. Any of these can improve the pain or may do nothing.

Once again, this is just my experience. The important thing to note is that it may get better spontaneously but if not there are options.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:32 PM

Thank you for the feedback. I spoke to my GP this morning and he stated something similar but in much less detail. Hopefully this resolves itself but its good to understand there are potential treatment options.

Last edited by nickl; 01-12-2022 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:41 PM

I've had two open hernia surgeries and I'm thankful both didn't include pain afterwords. I can feel where my mesh is and after surgery the second time it did get uncomfortable at times but it resolved itself. Hope it works out for you quickly and without another surgery!
Old 01-12-2022, 04:44 PM

I've had two hernia surgeries (1987 and '95) and am thankful I refused the screen mesh on both. No problems and no pain.

I disagree with the comment that removing the screen mesh may render a superfluous surgery. A surgeon can remove the mesh and fix the damn thing like he should have in the first place. And the repair should be stronger.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
I've had two hernia surgeries (1987 and '95) and am thankful I refused the screen mesh on both. No problems and no pain.

I disagree with the comment that removing the screen mesh may render a superfluous surgery. A surgeon can remove the mesh and fix the damn thing like he should have in the first place. And the repair should be stronger.
I was not aware until after my surgery that non-mesh repair was an alternative. Considering my hernia was considered quite minor I believe this could have been an option. Also, I personally know at least a dozen individuals that have had inguinal hernia surgery and all included mesh repair. Wondering why the non- mesh alternative is so uncommon.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl View Post
I was not aware until after my surgery that non-mesh repair was an alternative. Considering my hernia was considered quite minor I believe this could have been an option. Also, I personally know at least a dozen individuals that have had inguinal hernia surgery and all included mesh repair. Wondering why the non- mesh alternative is so uncommon.
Dr. Reinhorn in Boston did my inguinal hernia three years ago, with mesh, and I have had zero issues. I just wish I had the surgery as soon as I was (initially self) diagnosed in April rather than taking it easy all that summer and getting it done in the fall...

Three weeks later I was as good as new...

[Edit: I do vaguely recall some soreness lower down, but it went away with no long term issues]
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 01-15-2022 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:53 AM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Adhesion maybe?
Old 01-13-2022, 03:38 PM

Recovery time with mesh is faster and less likely to reoccur than open, traditional surgery. I think that may be why mesh is used as a default. I have had mesh and traditional both.

Last edited by earlfoss; 01-13-2022 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
The mesh surgery is faster and easier, and usually with faster recovery as mentioned already. The old fashion surgery requires more skill and time, as the surgeon has to cut and sew the stomach muscle medium so that it heals back stronger and more secure than before surgery. It just takes more skill and time to do it this way. Any surgery can fail but, you will have to search long and wide to find an old fashioned hernia repair that failed or was problematic.
Old 01-13-2022, 05:48 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Other than adhesion, my wife the 20+ yr surgical nurse says some surgeons are way less heavy handed than others [moving things out of the way] with regards to this aspect of the procedure. Not to mention sometimes fat and or intestine begins to migrate into the scrotum thru the hernia.

The fact the surgeon indicated "likely caused by trauma to my spermatic cord" would cause me to ask "trauma from incursion or actual procedure". Not that it matters at this point I guess..

Best recovery. You're not riding out or on the trainer sooner than you are suppose to have, I am sure I would be.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:32 AM

I had this done in 1995 and had no issue. Actually celebrated with my gf 6 hours after release from outpatient.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:21 PM

no mesh procedure

best in the world

https://www.shouldice.com
Old 01-15-2022, 04:36 PM

Quote:
ir. Wondering why the non- mesh alternative is so uncommon.
Had double inguinal repair, with mesh, three weeks ago. Had extensive discussion with my surgeon about non-mesh alternatives. His view--like those others here have said -- is that mesh recovery (vs. open) is much faster, is lower risk than mesh was ten or 15 years ago (due to evolution of the procedure) and probably (at least in my case) had a lower rate of failure. His view was the the open procedure, in which the hole is closed by stitching together the separated tissue, stresses the tissue and may fail over time, since as we age, tissue gets less flexible. Having tried to repair sew-up tires in my misspent youth, I get the picture.
Old 01-15-2022, 04:51 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
Recovery time with mesh is faster and less likely to reoccur than open, traditional surgery. I think that may be why mesh is used as a default. I have had mesh and traditional both.

The hernias on avg are too big to not use mesh [sez the wife]