Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2013, 10:26 PM

Over Drive is another cycling anime. I went about 5 episodes deep and just couldn't really into it. Tries to mix comedy with cycling, but isn't quite as funny as Yowamushi Pedal. A few things from Y. Pedal:

No anime club at a Japanese school?! That situation just doesn't exist...ever

The Ace of the cycling club rides a.....Trek?!

No mechanic ever adjusts a seatpost for free. If it were my LBS they would have adjusted the seatpost and then held the bike for ransom until I paid for the service.

Was that Lance Armstrong pedaling at 130 RPM?

The cycling portion is hilarious, kind of like Initial D (or the Lucky Star parody) where the guy driving starts to drift and then the video pans slowly on how precise the drifting is. Similarly, the unbearably long focus on a gasp.....front derailleur was pretty entertaining. As was the thinking that somehow high end bikes can lock on to slower bikes to make them faster (rather than drafting). Now that was pretty funny. I actually can't wait till he gets on a real road bike.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengher87 View Post
Over Drive is another cycling anime. I went about 5 episodes deep and just couldn't really into it. Tries to mix comedy with cycling, but isn't quite as funny as Yowamushi Pedal. A few things from Y. Pedal:

No anime club at a Japanese school?! That situation just doesn't exist...ever

The Ace of the cycling club rides a.....Trek?!

No mechanic ever adjusts a seatpost for free. If it were my LBS they would have adjusted the seatpost and then held the bike for ransom until I paid for the service.

Was that Lance Armstrong pedaling at 130 RPM?

The cycling portion is hilarious, kind of like Initial D (or the Lucky Star parody) where the guy driving starts to drift and then the video pans slowly on how precise the drifting is. Similarly, the unbearably long focus on a gasp.....front derailleur was pretty entertaining. As was the thinking that somehow high end bikes can lock on to slower bikes to make them faster (rather than drafting). Now that was pretty funny. I actually can't wait till he gets on a real road bike.
There are many funny things about Y Pedal, and you named a couple of them. i'm definitely looking forward to the other episodes. I will check out the one you mentioned, too. Is it on Crunchy roll?
Old 11-02-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloody sunday View Post
There are many funny things about Y Pedal, and you named a couple of them. i'm definitely looking forward to the other episodes. I will check out the one you mentioned, too. Is it on Crunchy roll?
I believe it is, although I am not entirely sure. I usually use AniLinkz on some of the more obscure anime that might not be popular enough to stream on larger Anime aggregate websites.

http://anilinkz.com/over-drive-episode-1

I may actually try and watch more episodes since I'll have to wait until Tuesday to watched a subbed version of y. Pedal's latest episode and now have the cycling anime bug.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:54 AM

Never heard about over drive, will check that one out... looks more like a darn drama... 2007 and stuff.

For some reason is like the seasons, some years everybody was doing just drama stuff, other years are great for anime

Last edited by ultraman6970; 11-03-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:51 AM

Here's the manga version of Yowamushi Pedal: http://www.mangahere.com/manga/yowamushi_pedal/

And they are all translated.

You can thank my manga crazed daughter for this info....
Old 01-13-2022, 11:00 AM

Bumping this old thread because the anime Yowamushi Pedal is available in Netflix.

Watched the first three episode and it was actually decent. Funny, no fan service, and in the first three episodes it already explained importance of saddle height, cadence and gear ratios.

Pretty good and fun way to introduce younger kids to cycling/racing concepts.

Last edited by tuxbailey; 01-13-2022 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:59 AM
what's a little rust?

Related--the instagram account Niigata0252 regularly features scans of old cycling catalogues and other print materials with manga and other illustrated characters doing bicycling-related things. Fun stuff to look at, and inspiring for doodlers.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:22 AM

I've been wanting to watch this for ages, there was write up I came across about a year ago that opened my eyes to it

https://www.lavelocita.cc/guides-pag...o-see?rq=Pedal

Sent from my SM-A705YN using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2022, 11:24 AM

There’s this cycling-oriented manga that’s really well drawn; ‘Wind Breaker’: https://readmanganato.com/manga-ab951884
Old 01-15-2022, 04:42 PM

The animated Disney show Phineas and Ferb had a really cute/positive episode that my son was watching recently. All the kids in the show get obsessed with cycling and they have a race and montage and song and there’s a bizarre and hilarious cameo with animated Greg Lemond giving pep talks.