Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2022, 10:45 AM

Every time I ride or drive, if I see another cyclist I always check out their bike. Like Angry said, I often know a rider on the road by their bike before the rider. I did do an mtb time trial this fall and passed a guy on a Pivot very similar to mine. As I passed him I yelled out "Nice bike"!! He yelled back, "Thanks, but yours is faster!" Thought that was pretty funny. I would think most of us here typically check out other's bikes.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I tend to not ogle if there's a person involved. I'll give a look, maybe a little longer look, but I won't stare. That applies to not only bikes, but other situations like cool cars, famous people, attractive women ... I think it might be my upbringing in which I learned to not make a fuss, don't bring attention to yourself, etc.

Couple of examples: I rode an elevator with Patrick Ewing once - didn't say a word to him. I rode an elevator with Bernard Hinault once. Only words I spoke were to show him how to use his hotel key card to get the elevator out of the parking garage. 10+ years later, I'm still kicking myself for that one.
Mr. Hinault, I hear you punch like a sissy. Only one of us is getting off this elevator.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Mr. Hinault, I hear you punch like a sissy. Only one of us is getting off this elevator.
Ooh, that would have been good, especially if in English with a very exaggerated French accent. He did have a UCI minder-muscle with him. Had to have been muscle, cuz he couldn't figure out the elevator either.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:53 AM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i think we all have a "friend" or three that we could literally not pick out of a crowd if they didnt have their helmet on and bike under them. lol.
So true.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:56 AM

I’m very offended when I’m not ogled on my bike.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I I rode an elevator with Bernard Hinault once. Only words I spoke were to show him how to use his hotel key card to get the elevator out of the parking garage. 10+ years later, I'm still kicking myself for that one.
You should have said you could not help him right now but would be sure to help him out next year.

(esprit d'escalier of course)
Old 01-15-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
A few years back I was drooling over a Pegoretti outside a Charleston, SC bike shop. A fit cyclist walked over, clearly concerned I was eyeing his bike for theft. After assuring him I was just another enthusiast who had never seen a Peg in person, he warmed up and started extolling the virtues of his bike. Turns out he was a Paceline forum member - and very sadly I can’t remember his name!

Greg
Was it this one, by chance? I think this was in Savannah... The bike was stunning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151005_162937_South_Carolina.JPG (131.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-15-2022, 02:44 PM

oh absolutely!

on a ride last weekend got passed by a guy on a sweet colnago master xl steel and i complimented him on his ride, got a thumbs up in return (he was in go-fast mode, no time to chat).

and later that day someone caught up with me and said, "nice serotta!" as he was riding behind for a bit. turns out he was just checking the build out, not being a wheelsucker. we then chatted for several miles after, he has a couple of serottas also. very fit dude, incidentally (masters racer).

Last edited by 54ny77; 01-15-2022 at 02:46 PM.