Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2020, 04:55 AM

More Campy OCD

Just mounted a new pair of 28mm tires to the almost complete Eriksen. She sports an Enve 2.0 rim brake fork. I am building her with a Record 11 group. I have an older pair of Chorus 10 speed calipers that I intended to temporarily finish the build with.

To my dismay the front caliper works a little too well, the tire rubs. Knowing that it is unacceptable to ride a bike with a tire smaller than 30mm (I blacked out the size marking on the 28's) I am wondering which generation Campy calipers have the greatest clearance. Ideally a pre-facelift Record 11 caliper will clear otherwise I might have to pick up a set of 20mm tires and use a magic marker to change the two to a three.

Brad
Old 02-08-2020, 04:59 AM

I bet they will fit if you just go with the latest science and run them at 1 bar.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:32 AM

Not all tires marked 27mm or 28mm are true to size, and several are wider in real life (tubular or clincher), especially depending on rim width (for clinchers). The brake hole on the Enve fork is higher that on a Serotta fork, so for a fork design of that era, it has reasonable clearance. When I needed more clearance with a Campy build, I ended up using grey Ultegra calipers. I mainly use 11v skeleton calipers of different years, but I believe they all have the same clearance. Not a lot of help...
Old 02-08-2020, 05:59 AM
Everything is connected

Do a search on the site as this subject has come up a few times...check Paul’s response (#22) in the thread.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...earance&page=2
Old 02-08-2020, 06:08 AM

I’ve found you can also adjust some of the clearance using the tension screw on the calipers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2020, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the post. Now you have me freaking out about rim width. When did cycling get so stressful? I don't remember having to make so many decisions back in the 80's when I fell in love with cycling. All of this stress over 3 mm of rubber is going to drive me insane. I think that I will mount some 25's and ride the damn thing.

Anyone interested in a tire swap?

Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
Do a search on the site as this subject has come up a few times...check Paul’s response (#22) in the thread.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...earance&page=2
Old 02-08-2020, 06:30 AM

The current 2020 Chorus 12 speed brakes have been designed with extra clearance. I believe that is the most in the line up.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful View Post
Just mounted a new pair of 28mm tires to the almost complete Eriksen. She sports an Enve 2.0 rim brake fork. I am building her with a Record 11 group. I have an older pair of Chorus 10 speed calipers that I intended to temporarily finish the build with.

To my dismay the front caliper works a little too well, the tire rubs. Knowing that it is unacceptable to ride a bike with a tire smaller than 30mm (I blacked out the size marking on the 28's) I am wondering which generation Campy calipers have the greatest clearance. Ideally a pre-facelift Record 11 caliper will clear otherwise I might have to pick up a set of 20mm tires and use a magic marker to change the two to a three.

Brad
The most clearance brakes for Campag are the ones made by Tektro..Chorus and below, starting with year 2015..you can tell those as the barrel adjuster threads into the caliper arm rather than just sliding in there.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:16 AM

Here's a post of mine on this exact topic from January 2013 (seven years ago, yikes!):

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...4&postcount=20
Old 02-08-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Brad
Just curious, do you have the brakes all set up with a cable installed and tensioned? I know that with my current build, if I put the wheel in and the cable isnt installed on the caliper, its resting position rubs on the tire. As soon as a cable is in, and theres tension, its not longer rubbing. You can test this by squeezing the caliper a bit with your hand.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
...I don't remember having to make so many decisions back in the 80's..
Wouldn't be a problem if you were running 21's at 120 psi.