Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2020, 09:19 AM
Randomhead

New Jersey doesn't have a minimum passing distance law and it shows. Of course, Pennsylvania has one and it's one of the state's best kept secrets. The only place I have seen a Penndot sign mentioning it was at the end of a bridge from New Jersey, educating the New Jersey drivers. Better than nothing I guess.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:43 AM
ZhugeLiang

Men are from Mars, women from Venus.

Can be so right, yet so wrong.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
oof yea, Jersey City would be a pretty tough place to ride bikes, especially as a form of transportation commuting during regular commuter hours.

one big problem is all the congestion there, which puts drivers on edge and makes them angry in the first place. then, any little thing that slows them down sets them off. it's not a good environment to be a cyclist in.

i think it's great that they are expanding the bike lanes and something they absolutely should do, but i also know it's a tough job in a city like that with limited real estate.

i can respect his mission and his vision, and it's great that he's bringing awareness to the law and cyclists right to use the road. i hope he keeps going, sees some progress and most of all - that he doesnt get seriously hurt.
I disagree...by doing this, he does the same thing that Critical Mass rides do...piss people off. I think there are way better ways to get his point across. No better way to help the anti-bike crowd that to use this guy as a poster child of how "goofy, uninformed, crazy", bike people are. I don't think he is but it sends a wrong message and gives ammo to the anti-bike, cars-forever, crowd.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Men are from Mars, women from Venus.

Can be so right, yet so wrong.
??
Old 02-08-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I disagree...by doing this, he does the same thing that Critical Mass rides do...piss people off. I think there are way better ways to get his point across. No better way to help the anti-bike crowd that to use this guy as a poster child of how "goofy, uninformed, crazy", bike people are. I don't think he is but it sends a wrong message and gives ammo to the anti-bike, cars-forever, crowd.
I agree
Old 02-08-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I think there are way better ways to get his point across.
such as?
Old 02-08-2020, 10:42 AM

In his favor: Moron, aggressive drivers usually don't want to scratch their dumb cars on his beast of a commuter bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I appreciate his mission but it is true that he will probably get very hurt in the process. Some people out there are crazy and like he mentioned on the video, I would not be afraid of someone beating the crap out of me (which might happen) but just running you over. It is a problem that most streets in JC are very narrow and it will not be of popular opinion to remove parking to put a bike lane but that is exactly what they should do.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
In his favor: Moron, aggressive drivers usually don't want to scratch their dumb cars on his beast of a commuter bike.
Really, there are lots of youtube videos of aggressive drivers using their cars to hit others.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:05 AM

Jersey City cyclist angers drivers by riding in middle of lane

I’ve been living in Jersey City for 17 years and it’s not the kind of place where you should expect that the city or community will adapt to you no matter what side of the coin you’re on. But for the most part when you treat people with respect you will be getting the same in return. It’s generally understood that you have to hold your own here, so in regards to cycling, you need to bike aggressively but without crossing certain lines. He’s crossed that line of disrespect that is not only gonna get himself hurt but it will be making it harder for people like me because it’s encouraging these drivers to see us as trolls. I also serious doubt he’s from here or he wouldn’t be acting like that which could open up a whole other can of worms (the big G word). In short, I think he’s just an instigator and what he’s doing is counterproductive in every way .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by GutiSteve; 02-08-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:19 AM
Randomhead

I'm pretty sure that a significant number of motorists see all cyclists as trolls, no matter what the riding style is.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:00 PM

Jersey City cyclist angers drivers by riding in middle of lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I'm pretty sure that a significant number of motorists see all cyclists as trolls, no matter what the riding style is.

I agree but he’s also taking a significant number of motorists who probably would have just drove right past him and gave him some space and giving them a real reason to be pissed off at cyclists.

Last edited by GutiSteve; 02-08-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:08 PM

He is not really riding incredibly stupid at least not based on the video in the link that i can tell.With dogs and a cargo bike i wouldent ride close to the parked cars either so some stressed out driver can get to the next redlight 2 seconds earlier.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
He is not really riding incredibly stupid at least not based on the video in the link that i can tell.

With dogs and a cargo bike i wouldent ride close to the parked cars either so some stressed out driver can get to the next redlight 2 seconds earlier.

He’s not riding stupid for a suburban Portland neighborhood. You can take a whole lane here if you can keep up with the pace of traffic, no prob. If you hog a one way street going slow with multiple cars behind you and run your mouth on top of it, you’re acting like a douche.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutiSteve View Post
He’s not riding stupid for a suburban Portland neighborhood. You can take a whole lane here if you can keep up with the pace of traffic, no prob. If you hog a one way street going slow with multiple cars behind you and run your mouth on top of it, you’re acting like a douche.

Run his mouth? You mean explaining to the cars that honk their horns in efforts to get him out of their path that he is legally allowed to ride where he is riding?
Old 02-08-2020, 12:49 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
I think the big part of Angryscientist's post that is missing is that the entrance to the Holland Tunnel is in Jersey City. It's a really dumb design with a highway set into city streets. The result is that tunnel traffic can pour off the highway, which it does. The tunnel backs up twice a day, and people decide to shed north to the Lincoln Tunnel or George Washington Bridge.

As for activists, there isn't a 100% effective way of causing change. This guy has taken an aggressive tack. My issue with it, personally -- as in why I wouldn't do it myself -- is that you simply don't know who is drunk or high, or distracted in a way that is dangerous.

Phil Gaimon posted this the other day on his Strava, which is somewhat relevant: One KOM and one police report for assault with a motor vehicle. Enjoy your license while you can, @ssh*le https://www.strava.com/activities/3080856523
Phil is particularly outspoken about traffic problems.