Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2020, 05:47 PM

Just a curiosity, but why would you consider the AR series wheels to be less adept at cornering?
Old 02-06-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
I would have a HARD look at the Bontrager Aeolus XXX6 wheels, ask around you will not be sorry.

I have the 4’s and they are spectacular-
Old 02-06-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
Just a curiosity, but why would you consider the AR series wheels to be less adept at cornering?
I own a set of AR4.5 and they're excellent wheels. I would even run them in a road race, but for crits the low tire pressure soaks up watts and speed. Not by a lot, but it's noticeable.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
I would have a HARD look at the Bontrager Aeolus XXX6 wheels, ask around you will not be sorry.

Another +1. The XXX are fantastic wheels all around. I’ve been keeping an eye out for a set of 6s to replace my 5.6. Nothing with the ENVE but the XXX quality seems to be a step above.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:11 PM

I’m looking pretty hard at the xxx6 now too! My Aeolus 5 were bombproof. I sold them because I went to disc and they were rim brake.

I didn’t realize the price was comparable to the Enves. Planning to head to my shop to take a look in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by earlfoss; 02-07-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
I’m looking pretty hard at the xxx6 now too! My Aeolus 5 were bombproof. I sold them because I went to disc and they were rim brake.

I didn’t realize the price was comparable to the Enves too. Planning to head to my shop to take a look in person.
See if your Trek dealer will give you a discount. Mine took off nearly 15% off the wheels with the combined Madone purchase.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:05 PM

+1 for using the ARs. I have been going wider and wider on my race wheels. Currently using Eastons that are about 20.5mm inner bead width. I use a 23/25 labeled tire combo (F/R) that measures out to 26/28 on the rim. I run 75-80 psi and the bike corners really well.

For my next race bike, I am planning to go to the AR wheels so I can still be aero using a tire that measures out to 30mm. Slightly heavier, but still aero and so comfy, and imho better at cornering on real world crit courses.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:04 PM

A brief update:

I bought a set of Bontrager XXX6 and they are GREAT. No regrets. They handle perfectly in all but the craziest crosswinds, and they're fast.

On top of the performance and dependability angle, the new Bontrager warranty makes purchasing a set a no-brainer.

I highly recommend.