Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2020, 11:05 AM

For inspiration:

Watch this:

http://bloodroadfilm.com

"Blood Road follows the journey of ultra-endurance mountain bike athlete Rebecca Rusch and her Vietnamese riding partner, Huyen Nguyen, as they pedal 1,200 miles along the infamous Ho Chi Minh Trail through the dense jungles of Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. Their goal: to reach the crash site and final resting place of Rebecca’s father, a U.S. Air Force pilot shot down over Laos some 40 years earlier.

During this poignant voyage of self discovery, the women push their bodies to the limit while learning more about the historic ‘Blood Road’ they’re pedaling and how the Vietnam War shaped their lives in different ways."
Old 01-31-2020, 01:04 PM

Organized tour

I did a ~2 week bike tour about fifteen years ago with PedalTours out of NZ, mostly coast from Saigon to Hanoi + Ha Long Bay extension. Subcontracted through local Vietnam "Eco Tours", but I can no longer find them. Highly recommended with first class van support, super hotels - but also very long days ~200km planned that we shuttled some in the heat (even in February). And roads then were pretty rough - we had mtn bikes and needed them. Surprised most by the reception of the people, had some trepidation beforehand but super friendly locals. Beautiful, like nowhere else I've cycled. Be glad to elaborate if you like...
Old 01-31-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
Can't help but wonder what business you're in...at least one that'd take your meeting to Hanoi. Hey, have em change it to BANGKOK! Now THERE is a city!
In data center business. We've held the regional meetings in various places around SEA, Seoul, Singapore, KL, etc. Also a bunch in China. APAC will grow/is growing significantly faster than EU/Americas so we spend some effort there.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:58 PM

Question - would there be any chance of unexploded ordinance off trail? I know Laos is still unearthing undetonated bombs, many of the smaller anti-personnel especially. I wonder if this is also an issue in the Vietnamese countryside.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
Question - would there be any chance of unexploded ordinance off trail? I know Laos is still unearthing undetonated bombs, many of the smaller anti-personnel especially. I wonder if this is also an issue in the Vietnamese countryside.
As a USAF Weapons guy (I loaded bombs on B-52 in Guam and F4's out of Ubon Air Base, Thailand. '70-'71) I can promise you that there are many TONS of unexploded ordnance all over that country. No question in my mind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b-52.jpg (66.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 01-31-2020, 03:47 PM

the photo seems a bit much but what do I know
Old 01-31-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
Totally agree, Jeff N. ya got the horrors but wait Vietnam is still a pretty place for long time...
Old 01-31-2020, 04:26 PM
ferro verum est

Apparently Vietnam has a few bike factories now–if you have a production bike like a Niner there's a good chance it's made in Vietnam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
As a USAF Weapons guy (I loaded bombs on B-52 in Guam and F4's out of Ubon Air Base, Thailand. '70-'71) I can promise you that there are many TONS of unexploded ordnance all over that country. No question in my mind.
Wow, thank you for your service. As someone in ordnance did you end up on the ground in Vietnam? Or were you in bases in the region? Always nice to hear from a SME.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
Totally agree, Jeff N. ya got the horrors but wait Vietnam is still a pretty place for long time...
I'm sure it is. No, I was never "boots on the ground". Being in the USAF I, admittedly, had it far better than the Army or Marine Corps guys. I was at bases only and spent most of my time at Ubon Air Base, Thailand, '70-'71, a front line fighter base for that friggin' war. If you go to youtube.com and type in "408th MMS Ubon" (I don't know how to "link" stuff) you'll see an EXCELLENT film showing exactly where I was at, and what I did, at the exact time I was there. Check it out. Here's a pic of an AC-130 Gunship from the 16th SOS, Ubon, Thailand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AC-130 Gunship.jpg (87.9 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Jeff N.; 02-07-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
NOT trying to spin this thread off on a tangent but VietNam means many things to many, many people. VERY strange times, starting early in the Eisenhower administration(actually at end of WW2, and influenced a LOT by what happened in Korea) that became a confused, black spot that ended many people's lives and careers, all the way up to the guy in the 'big chair'...

I was a midshipman onboard USS KittyHawk for summer cruise, summer of 1972..Had 2 right seat KA-6 tanker rides(VA-52), flew over southern part of North VietNam(Vinh River), tanking F-4s before going 'up north'...It wasn't until my Naval War College tour(1983), that I learned the ugly underbelly of what the VietNam war really was, from post WW2 thru exiting in 1973, thru the 3rd and last invasion of the South by the North in 1975..

"10,000 Day War"..great read.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-01-2020 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the info everyone.

If the meeting happens it will be in Hanoi. The company is kicking off a corporate human rights initiative.

I try to ride whenever/wherever I travel. Sometimes it works out well, other times not so much.

Getting a North Vietnamese perspective of the war would be interesting too. I served in the Army for 20 years and have always been a history buff. In fact I'm currently watch the Ken Burns series on Vietnam.

Oh, and I cycled during my deployments to Iraq. I had my old GT Zaskar shipped over and rode around Z Lake at Liberty/Victory. It was actually fun zipping by General Petraeus.

Last edited by Hellgate; 02-08-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:42 AM

I've cycled, bikepacked, and toured Vietnam quite a bit during the last 2 years working with factories here. From a general perspective, you can get any association of the war out of your head. It's a new generation there, and people are fairly modernized in HCMC or Hanoi. Americans are not treated any differently than other foreigners. You are just considered "foreigner" to them. Lastly, unless you're riding in the jungles of the west near the Laos or Cambodian borders, there should be no concern of unexploded bombs along your riding route.

I recently did a tour with Velo Vietnam (http://velovietnam.cc/) in the northern mountains which was pretty stunning. March is not a peak time to go for scenery, as all the rice fields will not be in blossom (September-October is the best time to go) but at least it should still be dry since rainy season begins around May.

Anyway, Vietnam is an amazing country. It definitely suits my personality but it's not for everyone. The roads are generally pretty good and well paved. You'll be fine with 28c tires if you stick to the road. The riding is also great if you can stand 1) the heat, 2) the unpredictability of things like traffic or changing routes on the fly if a road doesn't look good and, 3) not having premium amenities at all places you stay.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
That's for the info everyone.

If the meeting happens it will be in Hanoi. The company is kicking off a corporate human rights initiative.

I try to ride whenever/wherever I travel. Sometimes it works out well, other times not so much.

Getting a North Vietnamese perspective of the war would be interesting too. I served in the Army for 20 years and have always been a history buff. In fact I'm currently watch the Ken Burns series on Vietnam.

Oh, and I cycled during my deployments to Iraq. I had my old GT Zaskar shipped over and rode around Z Lake at Liberty/Victory. It was actually fun zipping by General Petraeus.
If you would like to do a road ride out of Hanoi, I recommend riding the climb up Ba Vi national park (~100mi round trip from Hanoi) or Giong mountain which is closer and not as tall as Ba Vi. Check out The Hanoi Bicycle Collective shop in Hanoi and you can ask the friendly staff for a route to either place.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmendoza87 View Post
If you would like to do a road ride out of Hanoi, I recommend riding the climb up Ba Vi national park (~100mi round trip from Hanoi) or Giong mountain which is closer and not as tall as Ba Vi. Check out The Hanoi Bicycle Collective shop in Hanoi and you can ask the friendly staff for a route to either place.
Perfect, thank you!
Old 02-08-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmendoza87 View Post
I've cycled, bikepacked, and toured Vietnam quite a bit during the last 2 years working with factories here. From a general perspective, you can get any association of the war out of your head. It's a new generation there, and people are fairly modernized in HCMC or Hanoi. Americans are not treated any differently than other foreigners. You are just considered "foreigner" to them. Lastly, unless you're riding in the jungles of the west near the Laos or Cambodian borders, there should be no concern of unexploded bombs along your riding route.

I recently did a tour with Velo Vietnam (http://velovietnam.cc/) in the northern mountains which was pretty stunning. March is not a peak time to go for scenery, as all the rice fields will not be in blossom (September-October is the best time to go) but at least it should still be dry since rainy season begins around May.

Anyway, Vietnam is an amazing country. It definitely suits my personality but it's not for everyone. The roads are generally pretty good and well paved. You'll be fine with 28c tires if you stick to the road. The riding is also great if you can stand 1) the heat, 2) the unpredictability of things like traffic or changing routes on the fly if a road doesn't look good and, 3) not having premium amenities at all places you stay.
Thank you. The northern route tour looks great.