Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2020, 07:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
or lack of fresh water? We have the tech to desalinate. Many ways, heck every submarine in the fleet does it. Seeing the NOVA episode where they showed the last time the CO2 was this high and the beach was 90 MILES inland from the current VA coast--wow, and all of FL submerged.
The 'tech' to desalinate is energy heavy PLUS it creates tons of brine waste that kills sea life.
Quote:
Food could be a problem as well.
Of course..when I hear, "there is enough food created now", I have to chuckle(a worry chuckle), because that is really naive. Climate change(it's not a hoax, mr potus) is going to make everything harder, many people will suffer and die..unless the people that make the decisions get their collective heads outta their bums..it's going to be really ugly. For our grandkids, kids or even earlier..IN the US? Not even close..our ultra-partisan politics will be the death of us(literally)...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-08-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:21 AM

I think they solved that

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
The 'tech' to desalinate is energy heavy PLUS it creates tons of brine waste that kills sea life.
I didn't realize our nuc subs were bad for the environment in that sense (only know about the sonar damage to mammals at sea), but using the subs was just a stop-gap idea until plants are built. There was tons of press and debate about the Carlsbad plant near me--largest in USA, and I don't remember anything about deadly brine; and it is literally next to a protected lagoon habitat:
https://www.carlsbaddesal.com/
Old 02-08-2020, 05:31 PM

One Is 100% Sure It's Better To Sell, The Other Is 100% Sure It's Better To Buy

The market has been on such a tear for so long that normal isn't normal anymore and philosophies are changing.

The retirement 60/40 split (60% stocks, 40% bonds) is coming under scrutiny now. Long term low interest rates have changed the metric. A 75/25 split is being touted now:

I have a long way to go and am riding the stock wave. I'm just ahead of my target at this point, thanks to the Bull that pauses but continues to run. Change is certain, I'll assess what's best for me when the time comes. But for those out now, stocks are indeed stronger and have been for so long that at least a review of your mix would be prudent.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...t-anymore.html
Old 02-24-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
….and…. we're back — DOW up 450, S&P up 43 and NAZDAQ up 130 (all time high)
…and TESLA, wow, uo 20% yesterday, and another 15% today @ 900
….and back down, all 2020 gains given back
Old 02-24-2020, 10:18 AM

The Wild Ride

Quote:
It will be back, there's nowhere else for money to go, big gains and pullbacks will be the norm this year as world events and the election pull at the market.

It's just February, the fun is just beginning. If the market finishes the year as the talking heads have been saying my 401k will still be ahead of my targets.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I've been sitting on cash, when it appears to bottom out, I'll buy. My IRA and 401 will be fine, I'm getting lots of stock.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:09 PM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnot good today!
Old 02-24-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I've been sitting on cash, when it appears to bottom out, I'll buy. My IRA and 401 will be fine, I'm getting lots of stock.
that's the flip side of: when it appears to top out, i'll sell. Nice in principle, but difficult to execute in practice.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
that's the flip side of: when it appears to top out, i'll sell. Nice in principle, but difficult to execute in practice.
I only have one "liquid" account to sell, the remainder are tax deferred retirement accounts. I've had my Janus Venture since 1991, when it drops significantly, I shove some money in that.

My son day trades on a small scale as a hobby. He ended up with just about a thousand in profit last year. Just enough to complicate his taxes.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:33 PM

Dow plunges 1,032 - third worst point decline in history.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:48 PM
50 bpm

Meh. Long haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2020, 05:06 PM

I wrote myself a crash plan a couple months ago:

Graduated buy-in between 8% and 20% drops from all-time high. With 75% of my available cash, invest 20% @8%, 30% @13%, 50% @18%. Invest remaining 25% available cash and available Bonds at 20% and lower.

Until then im doing my usual per-paycheck investments
Old 02-24-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Meh. Long haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I always think it's interesting when people say this regarding anything
Old 02-24-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanile View Post
I wrote myself a crash plan a couple months ago:

Graduated buy-in between 8% and 20% drops from all-time high. With 75% of my available cash, invest 20% @8%, 30% @13%, 50% @18%. Invest remaining 25% available cash and available Bonds at 20% and lower.

Until then im doing my usual per-paycheck investments
that would be the prudent thing to do, when buying into the dips
Old 02-24-2020, 05:41 PM

With interest rates so low, investors have been flocking to the stock market.

Buffet has always linked stocks to GDP, but currently stocks are on a totally different planet to GDP and it's fueled entirely by investors who aren't earning anything on their savings anymore and who feel stocks will continue to increase.

So much uncertainty around over and above a virus that has ground the worlds manufacturing hub to a halt: Brexit, Iran, climate change (bushfires here), US elections... and a massive asset bubble fueled by those very same low interest rates.

This is not going to end well. I shifted my superannuation account (Australian equivalent of 401k) to "defensive" mode (fixed interest) in the middle of last year and am very glad I did. It'd be down considerably by now had I done nothing.

The Australian economy's spluttering. We're technically already in a per-capita recession, but immigration numbers are propping things up artificially. I suspect we'll be in proper recession in the next quarter... bushfires and coronavirus already hitting us hard, wages have been stagnant for years and unemployment is trickling up slowly but steadily. We also have the highest per-capita household debt-to-income in the world, an ageing population and because we manufacture absolutely nothing we rely entirely on China to buy the resources we dig out of the ground (and send us immigrants and students). Because of coronavirus, neither of those two things are happening. Prior to that, the bushfires killed tourism and a lot of operators have shut down.

I'm 38. Plenty of time to get back in "growth" mode when things settle.

Last edited by robertbb; 02-24-2020 at 05:48 PM.

Tags
economy, freemoneyhouse, game stop, i like this stock, stonks, wealth