Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM

2024 Barry Roubaix

Anyone else ride Barry Roubaix last weekend?

Hadn't competed in years but decided that Barry Roubaix would be the perfect ride. Signed up VERY early, like within minutes of registration opening way back in November 2023.

I did the 36 miler and felt great! The course was in awesome condition - roads were pretty smooth and no dust. Some sand on Sager Road but that's part of the fun! Weather was brisk at 36 degree and windy.

Hats off to the organizers and the town of Hasting, Michigan. That town of 9000 managed to host 5500 cyclists and make it fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Barry Roubaix start.jpg (135.6 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Barry Roubaix end.jpg (152.1 KB, 91 views)
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM

I rode the 62, err.. most of it anyways. Cramps stopped me around mile 42 so I decided to call in SAG.

I'm a bit miffed with the 62 mile route at this point. They hit you with all the fun milestones in the first 36 (sager road, the wall, etc) then the rest is a bunch of somewhat boring rolling gravel/paved hills - nothing too interesting or unique, imo.

My brother in law ended up with a massive mechanical failure 10 miles in so he barely got to ride.

Regardless - I had fun and probably some of the strongest riding I've ever done - making for 30 or so PR's We're definitely doing the 36 next year!

I noticed that I don't tend to take photos on gravel rides or races - mostly just to stay in control of the bike.

Here's one from calling it quits:

here's a fun one from last year's pro photos, when it was 80+ degrees: