Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
Using that logic Pete should be in. Pete never cheated on the field, as Bonds did, but as a manager. On the field Pete had more hits that anyone in MLB history. Personally I don't think any of those guys should ever get in, including Pete, and I am a life long Reds fan who saw Pete play at Crosley Field.
He broke the one cardinal rule baseball has had for decades: Don't bet on the game.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
He broke the one cardinal rule baseball has had for decades: Don't bet on the game.
I get that and why I said he should never get in. Bonds and the rest cheated for years on the field in an era that was corrupt from the top down and why I don't think they should ever get into the HOF. Now with these new scandals and the slap on the wrist punishments handed down the integrity of the game itself is completely dead, at least to me. I don't think I will ever watch a game again.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rada View Post
I get that and why I said he should never get in. Bonds and the rest cheated for years on the field in an era that was corrupt from the top down and why I don't think they should ever get into the HOF. Now with these new scandals and the slap on the wrist punishments handed down the integrity of the game itself is completely dead, at least to me. I don't think I will ever watch a game again.
Eh, with Bonds and Clemens, they made sure fire Hall of Famers all the more Hall of Famer-y.

The line gets blurrier with guys like McGwire and Sosa and Palmeiro and the like. I don't think they compile the stats needed to get there without the help.

I get that's where things get sticky, but Bonds and Clemens? Totes should be in.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Eh, with Bonds and Clemens, they made sure fire Hall of Famers all the more Hall of Famer-y.

The line gets blurrier with guys like McGwire and Sosa and Palmeiro and the like. I don't think they compile the stats needed to get there without the help.

I get that's where things get sticky, but Bonds and Clemens? Totes should be in.
I get that is the line many people take, erase the juiced seasons and they still put up the numbers. To me the bottom line is they cheated. Multiple seasons. Period.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:13 AM

It was all the fault of the video replay guy!

https://nypost.com/2020/04/22/red-so...red-to-astros/

Last edited by fiamme red; 04-23-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
when people start getting year-long bans, or longer, it’ll change.
this
Old 04-23-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
It was all the fault of the video replay guy!

https://nypost.com/2020/04/22/red-so...red-to-astros/
Cora was exonerated regarding the Sox, but not so re: Houston. Thus, we wont ever again see him in a Sox uniform.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:15 PM
Are you thinking....

Did it change the game?

As far as the Astros and the 2017 WS, here is an interesting observation -

From an article about Clayton Kershaw in Axios Sports –

Perhaps no team has lost as much (from the Astros cheating scandal) as the Dodgers, and perhaps no Dodger was damaged as much as Kershaw. He is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, a three-time Cy Young Award winner, a once-in-a-generation talent, and he will also be remembered for bad luck and bad outings in the playoffs. The biggest of those failures -- there's a compilation video online that has about 100,000 views -- was against the Astros in Game 5 of the 2017 World Series. Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci found a single statistic that tells the story of that game better than any commissioner's investigation. Clayton Kershaw is known for his devastating curveball, and an equally weaponized slider, and he threw 51 breaking pitches to the Astros that night and they swung and missed at exactly zero.

Picking signs the old fashioned way is a tradition in baseball, and if you get caught, you get a 90+ mph heater in the ribs. Also a tradition. Using the replay camera/monitor is out of bounds. Vacate the title, and take the overs on how many Astros get plunked (assuming we ever get back to baseball).