Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 02:08 PM

If you're that worried about marring your frame, slap a few pieces of helicopter tape where it makes contact with the frame and replace when/if necessary.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:08 PM

Attachment 1697955279
Decided i no longer wanted to be part of the problem to adding unused CO2 cartridges to the environment. I carry a lezyne mini on my plastic bike but this ~20 yr old blackburn aluminum blows its away-pun intended
It leaves some barely visible marks that can easily be wiped off if needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C6940A31-7F8F-4E4E-A483-B502019E335F.jpg (96.0 KB, 173 views)
Old 02-21-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enr1co View Post
Attachment 1697955279
Decided i no longer wanted to be part of the problem to adding unused CO2 cartridges to the environment. I carry a lezyne mini on my plastic bike but this ~20 yr old blackburn aluminum blows its away-pun intended

If I carried a pump like that it’d be dead from water/road-slime before I ever got to use it...

And that’s one of the biggest reasons I don’t use frame pumps or frame-mounted mini-pumps.

I’ve gone through two C02 cartridges in the last 5K miles.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:25 PM

Think I found the answer and will do co2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2018, 02:27 PM

Finally, someone who rides with a real pump, carrying it old-school no less. Well done. I learned how to put my pumps like that when I was 16 (am 44). Had those plastic Silca numbers from back in the day, but very handy to place them on the rear triangle. It's just as safe, it's a hand pump, and stays there tight enough to survive cobbles/gravel/dirt/bumpy pavement. I currently have a blackburn too. Very neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enr1co View Post
Attachment 1697955279
Old 02-21-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post

https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...gaAlTwEALw_wcB

I carry one of those as my C02 backup - in a ziplock, in my jersey pocket.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:42 PM

I have been using pump straps from Zefal. They are small Velcro straps with a piece of foam attached. The foam goes between the pump and frame tube with the Velcro portion wrapped around the frame securing the pump. No need for a pump peg and they eliminate rattles. Not sure if they are still sold though.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:44 PM

why did you decide on co2?

frame pumps are my preferred option, simply because then you always have air. and they weigh as much as a couple co2 cartridges with an inflator anyway. the silca one is awesome and the most elegant option. the topeak one works slightly better, but both are sufficient. with the topeak one, I glue a rubber washer to the plastic end and the little switch on the handle. that way, anything contacting the frame is rubber, so no scratching. works great on several bikes, painted as well as various Ti finishes (including Moots).
Old 02-21-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semdoug View Post
I have been using pump straps from Zefal. They are small Velcro straps with a piece of foam attached. The foam goes between the pump and frame tube with the Velcro portion wrapped around the frame securing the pump. No need for a pump peg and they eliminate rattles. Not sure if they are still sold though.
this thing?

https://www.amazon.com/Zefal-Doodad-.../dp/B000AO3FTE
Old 02-21-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
why did you decide on co2?

frame pumps are my preferred option, simply because then you always have air. and they weigh as much as a couple co2 cartridges with an inflator anyway. the silca one is awesome and the most elegant option. the topeak one works slightly better, but both are sufficient. with the topeak one, I glue a rubber washer to the plastic end and the little switch on the handle. that way, anything contacting the frame is rubber, so no scratching. works great on several bikes, painted as well as various Ti finishes (including Moots).

I don’t want my frame marked up at all..I was looking at the one Moots sells on their website. It’s not bad and $165. I only worry about the marking.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
I have no need to reinvent the sport of cycling, and am happy to no longer need to carry a frame fit pump. CO2 cartridges are far more convenient, and spent cartridges can be recycled. The Silca inflator is pretty slick (https://silca.cc/products/eolo-iii-co), and CO2 cartridges can be bought cheaply in bulk on eBay. Carry a couple cartridges, an inflator, a couple tubes, and a patch kit in a saddle bag and you’ll pretty much always make it home.
Same for me. It seems like lots of folks on the forum use frame pumps. I did a long time ago before C02 cartridges were available. I only ride a modest amount (5k miles a year) and get on average 2 flats a year. But most of my rides are short (under 40 miles) so maybe if you riding multi-day / long distances there's a need? do people like the way the look?
Old 02-21-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post
do people like the way the look?
always thought a frame pump was an eyesore. it's the principal reason I opted to go CO2.

and as far as an objection to CO2's env impact, the cylinders are steel and can be recycled.

altho I occasionally see them discarded on the roadside by some slob, always stop and pick them up. rarely have to ride more than a mile or two before finding a recycle bin to put them in...
Old 02-21-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post
Same for me. It seems like lots of folks on the forum use frame pumps. I did a long time ago before C02 cartridges were available. I only ride a modest amount (5k miles a year) and get on average 2 flats a year. But most of my rides are short (under 40 miles) so maybe if you riding multi-day / long distances there's a need? do people like the way the look?
I used to have a Silca pump with a heavy Campy head decades ago, when I also rode tubulars. (Like I said, I have no need to reinvent the sport). The only thing the Silca was good for was self defense: the campy head swung on the end of the pump was capable of destroying an auto windshield and leaving huge welts on the body of any attacker. Otherwise, the shafts would blow out of the pump bodies from the pressure in the tires and they were a pain in the ass to use.

I am vigilant about carrying spent CO2 cartridges home and putting them in the recycling bin. I hate seeing the things on the side of the road.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:09 PM
v a n i l l a

How much do you flat?

I carry a mini-pump in my jersey to stage the tube for installation and then continue pumping with it until I can't. From there, CO2 finishes the job.

Make sure you practice using your CO2 set up a few times at home so you know how to get a good seal on the valve and avoid losing all your gas or worse, freezing the valve stem and then tearing it off the tube.

silca premio: spare tube, two CO2 cylinders, CO2 head, patches/glue, glueless patches, tire levers, surgical glove, paper towel.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:41 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post

PNW pal, do you mind going back and changing the title of your thread to "CO2s!"