Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 06:34 AM

Cannondale CX fit

Hello, all, curious to see if anyone can help me with a fit question.

First, I know the correct answer is "go to the local Cannondale shop and try it," but my local shop doesn't carry a few gen old Superx.

I am 6', normally proportioned, and I ride a 58 Supersix EVO with a 120mm stem. The CX geometry for Cannondale is wonky, and the same frame size in the CX has a 1.5cm longer top tube, and a standover of 85cm. I found a great deal on a 58 and I am wondering if I can get it to work with a smaller stem. I am a roadie, and this will be a gravel bike, and occasional off roader, but more than likely a road bike with wider tires on days I don't feel like taking the EVO.

Seem way too big? Anyone else with any advice?
Thanks
Old 02-21-2018, 06:43 AM

Edit: just re-read your post.

It seems you are already aware of stem changes and the like. The Geo change isn't going to be huge, but you'll feel more in the bike than on the bike. If you aren't planning to race cross, it's not going to be as big of a change (imo).

Lucky for you, you already run a long stem that gives you that flexibility.

Initial message:
If you are wanting the same fit, I'd guess you'd want to look for a 56 superX instead. The 2011-2015 gen of the SuperX was sized "traditionally" for cross bikes. They measure the seat tube, which effectively "sizes them down." If you went with a 58, you'd end up running a shorter stem and the headtube etc would be longer than what you are used to in comparison.

My experience: I ride 60cm Cannondale road frames (SystemSix, CAAD9) and rode a 58cm SuperX disc. It fit nearly spot on to my road bikes, and both geometries had a 59 top tube.

Last edited by hollowgram5; 02-21-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:48 AM

Same height, apx 33 inseam and I have a 56 super-x. 58 was way too big

For road reference I ride bikes with a 57 to 57.5 top tube - serotta c3 58, giant tcr advanced m/l
Old 02-21-2018, 06:54 AM

im 187 or 6´2 ride a 58 cx cannondale.

Its a big bike for beeing called 58. This holds true for quite a few years back in the line up.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:44 AM

I'm guessing you're fairly stretched on your EVO? I had the same setup (58cm with 120mm stem) but am 6'2 and it felt stretched.

Comparing the 58 EVO and 58 SuperX, the difference in reach (6mm) is a bit less than the difference in top tubes (15mm).

The average cx bike has a shorter stem than the average road bike, for quicker handling. If you're looking for roughly the same position but slightly more upright (1cm less overall reach) I don't see anything wrong with putting a 100mm stem on a 58 SuperX. Or a 110mm to match.

Last edited by andrewsuzuki; 02-21-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:05 AM

For years, Cannondale advised in writing to size down when comparing their road and cyclocross bikes. I'm looking at a 2009 catalog and below the cyclocross geometry chart, it states "If you ride a 56 road frame, you should choose a size 54 Cyclocross frame." Similar advisories can be found in the 2010 and 2011 catalogs.

Greg
Old 02-21-2018, 09:06 AM

Thanks, everyone. I definitely think geometry is important, and I want it to fit well, but I also feel sometimes we make a bigger deal about it than necessary. If I was racing, or on it for hours at a time, sure, but for a 15-20 mile ride, it should be fine. 1.5cm is less than 3/4", so that is probably do able. Someone mentioned that even though the top tube is longer, the reach isn't as long due to angles, etc. I have a 90mm and 100mm stem at home I could try. Also, the stack is taller, which might be nice to help make it more upright. As I understand, sometimes a generalization about a bigger frame is that it may not be as agile, but in some ways it may be more comfortable due to the increased head tube length and stack.

Anyway, if anyone else has some thoughts, they are much appreciated!

Brian
Old 02-21-2018, 09:09 AM

The rule on older gen CX cross bikes at our shop was always to downsize. I was on a 54 CAAD (or SuperSix, had I gotten one of those), but would've had to ride at 52 CAADX/SuperX. Current gen bikes seem to line up a bit better with road sizing.

That's not to say that you couldn't make it work depending on your current fit, but you'd need to see it or get on it to tell. I'd be inclined to say an older 58 is too big
Old 02-21-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLD 25 View Post
Hello, all, curious to see if anyone can help me with a fit question.

First, I know the correct answer is "go to the local Cannondale shop and try it," but my local shop doesn't carry a few gen old Superx.

I am 6', normally proportioned, and I ride a 58 Supersix EVO with a 120mm stem. The CX geometry for Cannondale is wonky, and the same frame size in the CX has a 1.5cm longer top tube, and a standover of 85cm. I found a great deal on a 58 and I am wondering if I can get it to work with a smaller stem. I am a roadie, and this will be a gravel bike, and occasional off roader, but more than likely a road bike with wider tires on days I don't feel like taking the EVO.

Seem way too big? Anyone else with any advice?
Thanks
Doesn’t the CX bike have a higher bottom bracket? If so, you probably would want a shorter seat tube (a 56j to give you adequate clearance and the right toptube length. For obvious reasons, a bit more clearance is a good thing on a CX bike.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:05 AM
extremely tall

IMO size down one size from cannonade road to cannonade cx. as always, stack and reach measurements are you friend.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:41 AM

yes, down sizing would be ideal. If i was going to ride this tons and race and make money, I would. I want an inexpensive versatile bike, and found one a little big, and I am more wondering if this would still work fine, even if it is not as ideal.

So, all other numbers aside, the reach is .6cm longer than my 58 EVO. That surely can't be that easily noticed and can be fixed by a stem.

The stack is 3cm taller. If I understand correctly, that would make it more upright. That isn't a problem either, and to be honest, would be desirable. Since the EVO is racy, sometimes it would be nice to have a more upright cruiser to enjoy on days when I am not chasing strava segments, etc. Anything else that stack would affect besides me being less aerodynamic?

Bottom bracket height is 1cm more on the SuperX, and the standover is 3cm more. So the BB height may change the feel slightly, and the standover could be crucial if I fell off on to the top tube(which never happens), but anything else?

thanks
Old 02-21-2018, 11:49 AM

With the SuperX, Cannondale advises to use the same size bike as your road bike. Yes, the reach will be longer as they want you to use a shorter stem. So you can't just look at the stack and reach charts. I can't say how well your road bike fits you, but disagree with those saying you should automatically size down.

More here: https://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/cann...locross-bikes/
Old 02-21-2018, 11:54 AM

Thanks, everyone. Unfortunately the bike sold. What a deal it was! Carbon Superx with sram red cranks and an easton ec90 seatpost for $300 on ebay.

Thanks for the help though!