Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 09:57 AM

Why Carbon Clinchers?

Just out of curiosity, why are you using carbon clinchers?

Weight?

Better road feel?

Better braking?
Old 02-20-2018, 09:58 AM

Because glue is weird and scary.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:59 AM

Looks

Stiffness

Weight (stiffness to weight)

In that order.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:05 AM

Why Carbon Clinchers?

For me, I always have two wheel sets for my bike..I’m an outlier on here and never have had more than two bikes at a time. I have a set for 8 months out of the year and another for 3-4 depending on weather.

I picked up a set of carbon clinchers because of weight, slight aero factor (bora 35s), stiffness, convenience, and ease to work with compared to tubulars...depending on tire choice...ride just as nice as tubulars IMO. Unless you have the time, patience, money to pay a shop, or you’re seriously racing...I prefer clinchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2018, 10:12 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW View Post
For me, I always have two wheel sets for my bike..I’m an outlier on here and never have had more than two bikes at a time. I have a set for 8 months out of the year and another for 3-4 depending on weather.

I picked up a set of carbon clinchers because of weight, slight aero factor (bora 35s), stiffness, convenience, and ease to work with compared to tubulars...depending on tire choice...ride just as nice as tubulars IMO. Unless you have the time, patience, money to pay a shop, or you’re seriously racing...I prefer clinchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope this doesn't go down that 'tubulars or clinchers' rabbit hole...Hope it will stay 'carbon clinchers or aluminum clinchers'..goods and others...why each or why carbon, if you are a clincher kinda guy.

I've built more than a few and 'some' carbon hoops are really a breeze to build, 'some' not-so-much...BUT IMHO, for the weight and $ of carbon hoops/clincher, not sure I 'get it'...compared to some really nice aluminum clincher rims...DT411/511, as examples.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:16 AM

I'm not sure what you are getting at in this thread but my guess is that I agree. For me personally expensive wheels are for racing and racing is always done on tubulars so yeah I never saw the point in carbon clinchers. But these days you can get used carbon clinchers for a song it seems. If I did get a set of carbon clinchers I would want aluminum brake tracks so I would not have to deal with switching pads which is something I normally reserve for race day. I'd probably still reserve them for the local training race rides but that's just me.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:21 AM

For racing I have run tubulars forever, but for certain ones this season I'll be on carbon clinchers (Aeolus 5 TLR) set up tubeless.

I like the little extra insurance against flats on some courses. Many around here won on tubeless last season so I don't think the extra weight is a liability. I've been training on this setup enough to feel confident in this plan.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:23 AM

I recently purchased the new Mavic Ksyrium Pro UST wheels. They are light and aluminum and have no issues that carbon clinchers have.

I chose those over the Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST not just because of the price but more I just could not figure out the difference and why I would need carbon wheels.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Hope this doesn't go down that 'tubulars or clinchers' rabbit hole...Hope it will stay 'carbon clinchers or aluminum clinchers'..goods and others...why each or why carbon, if you are a clincher kinda guy.

I've built more than a few and 'some' carbon hoops are really a breeze to build, 'some' not-so-much...BUT IMHO, for the weight and $ of carbon hoops/clincher, not sure I 'get it'...compared to some really nice aluminum clincher rims...DT411/511, as examples.
I use a set of Zipp 808s on my TT Bike. I occasionally put them on my road bike, equipped with rim brakes, when I want to go downhill in the rain and be unable to stop. If I get really daring, I keep the latex tubes I use to TT on the rims, and ride long descents constantly on the brakes to see how hot I can get the rims before the tubes blow. /sarcasm off.

Carbon rims are heralding the ultimate switch to disc brakes on road bikes, with which braking in the wet and overheating are not issues. I agree with Old Potato that on a road bike equipped with rim brakes, there are good aluminum rims that perform as well and in some conditions better than carbon wheels. IMO, the only benefit of carbon is the ability to build lighter weight aero wheels. They make no sense for everyday training wheels.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:31 AM

It's really a combination of two questions -

Why Carbon?

Although people tend to rationalize the selection of carbon for reasons of performance ("It's lighter!", "It's more aerodynamic!"), the real reason is likely because it is what's new and in fashion.

Why Clinchers?

Because they are perceived (and with generally good reason) to be easier and more convenient, both for initial installation and for on-road repair. Also sometimes for performance reasons (they have become the best choice for rolling resistance and aerodynamics reasons for certain events, particularly Time Trials/Triathlons).

Many reach the conclusion that the answer to both questions is carbon clinchers. However ...

In many cases, when you combine two products, instead of ending up with the best features of both, you end up with the worst features of both. In many ways, this is the case with carbon clinchers. They are often nearly as heavy as aluminum clinchers, but without the consistent braking and good heat management of aluminum clinchers. Aerodynamics appears to be a wash.

Instead, a better answer to both questions might be a hybrid rim, such as on the HED Jet series and the Swiss Side Hadrons, which combines an aluminum rim extrusion with a carbon fairing. These wheels provide the same aerodynamics as full carbon clinchers at roughly the same weight, combined with the reliable braking of aluminum rims. The HED Jet series is also available with their proprietary 'Black" rim treatment, which provides outstanding (and long lived) braking even in wet conditions.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Why Carbon?

Although people tend to rationalize the selection of carbon for reasons of performance ("It's lighter!", "It's more aerodynamic!"), the real reason is likely because it is what's new and in fashion.

Why Clinchers?

Because they are perceived (and with generally good reason) to be easier and more convenient, both for initial installation and for on-road repair. Also sometimes for performance reasons (they have become the best choice for rolling resistance and aerodynamics reasons for certain events, particularly Time Trials/Triathlons).

Many reach the conclusion that the answer to both questions is carbon clinchers. However ...

In many cases, when you combine two products, instead of ending up with the best features of both, you end up with the worst features of both. In many ways, this is the case with carbon clinchers. They are often nearly as heavy as aluminum clinchers, but without the consistent braking and good heat management of aluminum clinchers. Aerodynamics appears to be a wash.

Instead, a better answer to both questions might be a hybrid rim, such as on the HED Jet series and the Swiss Side Hadrons, which combines an aluminum rim extrusion with a carbon fairing. These wheels provide the same aerodynamics as full carbon clinchers at roughly the same weight, combined with the reliable braking of aluminum rims. The HED Jet series is also available with their proprietary 'Black" rim treatment, which provides outstanding (and long lived) braking even in wet conditions.
Carbon fairings on aluminum rims a fairly old idea..actually, but I know you knew this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camp5-768x647.jpg (88.9 KB, 322 views)
Old 02-20-2018, 10:48 AM
ergottWheels

Carbon clinchers give you more aerodynamic rims and stronger builds than you can get with alloy (assuming lower spoke count that's typical). Weight isn't really their strong point. Braking depends on who you talk to. I think the better rims currently available are excellent.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2018, 10:55 AM

Carbon Clinchers

For rim brake? The answer is vague for me. Carbon clinchers do not brake as well as their aluminum counterparts. Especially if wet/damp- At least for me.
So I would say only slight weight or aerodynamics.

Disc? No drawbacks other than cost.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:57 AM

I find them to be stronger, lighter and only slightly more expensive than aluminum rims.

Now the details. Experience is limited to CX Disc wheels. Training and racing.

Comparison experience is between the Pacenti Sl25 Disc only rim and the Light Bicycle RM29C06.

Pacenti SL25. ~460gm, $90.
RM29C06 ~350gm, $162.

I found the pacenti aluminum to be soft. The rims barely lasted a season of training and a few races. Soooo may dents.

I relaced them with the carbon rims from Light-Bicycle. Built up easy. I babied them a bit at first to be honest, then in one race I hit a rock to hard I burped down to about 8 psi. I was sure I cracked the rim so I rode the thing to the pit, not caring...figuring it was toast. Nope. Not a mark on it. Wheel was straight as ever. After that I stopped babying them and have ridden them pretty hard. Two seasons and still like new. Buitl up a 2nd set for the pit bike.

I like em for the purpose stated.

Last edited by crankles; 02-20-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:06 AM

Stronger, lighter, more aerodynamic.