Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2018, 02:34 PM

Local for me ... downtown Sac is undergoing something of a "revival" with the addition of a new sports arena: hip restaurants, breweries, and shops. Sleepy it is not these days. And, the nearby cycling is pretty decent, whether you like roads, trails, or climbs.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:47 PM
Barely Hanging On

Sacramento has a great airport, is a great place to ride, and has a lot of great things to do. It's not super-exciting in comparison to many tourist destinations, but it's an easy place to get around and get some riding in, even if you are not all that familiar with the area.

For me, the biggest reason to avoid going is that it would take a huge amount of self control not to put in multiple orders.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:55 PM
Administrator

what sacto has going for it is access to the bay area people, without the bay area pricing for the show. there is easy driving access to some of the best riding in the country.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:00 PM

I will probably watch reruns of football games instead of attending NAHBS in Sacarmento.

Hadnt seen a contrarian post yet. So here it is.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
I will probably watch reruns of football games instead of attending NAHBS in Sacarmento.

Hadnt seen a contrarian post yet. So here it is.
<like>...
...because you are so clearly, contrary to your post, in.

<like>...
...because you <dislike> cars.

<dislike>...
...because who really <dislike>s mentos?

Old 02-18-2018, 06:57 PM

Yawn-as a Midwesterner
Old 02-18-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheart View Post
Local for me ... downtown Sac is undergoing something of a "revival" with the addition of a new sports arena: hip restaurants, breweries, and shops. Sleepy it is not these days. And, the nearby cycling is pretty decent, whether you like roads, trails, or climbs.
I hope its changed some since the last show. Only place open for lunch on Saturday I was there at the last NAHBS was an overwhelmed Subway.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:41 PM

Pre-plan your parking if you will drive. I got "killed" on a 2-1/2 hour parking stint across the street at the last Sac'to NAHBS, like $30 or so.
I will park remotely this time, and ride to the venue where they have free(?) valet bike parking.
San Jose was great back at the first NAHBS, I rode there from my rented house, and was able to meet Brian Baylis, Craig Calfee and so many others.

I strongly recommend taking Friday off to attend this show, ...much less crowded.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I strongly recommend taking Friday off to attend this show, ...much less crowded.
Yes. Friday is, by far, the best day of these shows. I've been to three NAHBS shows and Friday is the best. The exhibitors have time and energy to chat and there are way fewer people.

My best experiences have been to arrive on Thursday afternoon and go to the hotel associated with the show. You'll meet friends and fellow bike people who are not yet stressed out. Friday is the best day of the show, by far, followed by Sunday morning when it first opens. I'm gone by Noon or so. Saturday is fun, but it's busy.

My best experiences have been when I was able to plan a few days around the show and get a hotel and get there early and avoid the stress. It's a bike show, not the NFL Combine. Everything should be chill and fun.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I hope its changed some since the last show. Only place open for lunch on Saturday I was there at the last NAHBS was an overwhelmed Subway.
Any food place inside of (or within a few blocks of) the convention center is likely to be way over-priced (just like the parking), so you may want to plan ahead on where the nearest decent food (at a decent price) can be found that is to your taste.
There are probably over a hundred possibilities within say a 6-block radius, and you've got a year to think about it.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
Any food place inside of (or within a few blocks of) the convention center is likely to be way over-priced (just like the parking), so you may want to plan ahead on where the nearest decent food (at a decent price) can be found that is to your taste.
There are probably over a hundred possibilities within say a 6-block radius, and you've got a year to think about it.
Price wasn't the issue. Places open on a Saturday was the issue. Clear at least a couple years back it was a Monday-Friday, 9-5 kinda thing to serve the office drones in that part o town.

Reality for me is unless its a really compelling line up, I don't see a reason to keep lining Don Walker's pockets by going to NAHBS whenever its in town to see the same ol same ol.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:34 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
The place was shut down around the conversation center... pretty deserted on the weekend. There was one place and everyone from the show was there for a sandwich. There's some neighborhood stuff a little ways off but we would need to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I don't doubt that's what you both experienced....but I can say that it wasn't the same for me. I was there on Sat and parked about 5 blocks away from the Convention Center; I must have passed at least half a dozen open places (maybe more, it's not as if I was counting) that were serving food while walking to the show and nearly all of those were in the last 3 blocks from the entrance.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:41 PM

I guess I parked too close!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 02-19-2018, 02:00 PM

That's one way to do it. The other way is to find a builder you like who:
1. Will be exhibiting in Sacto
2. Has a queue of not much more than a year

You order the frame _right now_, then arrange to pick it up at NAHBS. That gives the builder motivation to have it ready for you by then, and you can bask in all the oohs and aahs as the less-fortunate ogle your frame. The kicker is all the wonderful jealous glares you'll get late Sun afternoon when you waltz into the booth and take that beauty home.

Seriously, though, most builders are very motivated to take as many completed frames to NAHBS for customer pickup as possible. Saves them having to build a stock/show bike, saves them breakdown time, saves $$$ for the ones who didn't drive by having less stuff to ship home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
So what you're saying is I've got a little over a year to save a down payment on a new frameset?
Old 02-19-2018, 02:02 PM

Fri can work really well, but all the bikes that are being judged are being pulled from booths on Fri for judging and for photos. That sometimes means a lot of trips back to booths you've already seen trying to see the bikes that were missing your first/second time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Yes. Friday is, by far, the best day of these shows. I've been to three NAHBS shows and Friday is the best. The exhibitors have time and energy to chat and there are way fewer people.

My best experiences have been to arrive on Thursday afternoon and go to the hotel associated with the show. You'll meet friends and fellow bike people who are not yet stressed out. Friday is the best day of the show, by far, followed by Sunday morning when it first opens. I'm gone by Noon or so. Saturday is fun, but it's busy.

My best experiences have been when I was able to plan a few days around the show and get a hotel and get there early and avoid the stress. It's a bike show, not the NFL Combine. Everything should be chill and fun.