Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 10:24 AM

They were adjustable wrenches.

But when i googled the maker (Turny Japan) the first thing that came up was an old oil filter spanner which pretty much looks the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg japan turny.jpg (25.6 KB, 577 views)

Last edited by tuscanyswe; 02-21-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:50 PM
foo

I had the dual Shimano/Campy version but haven’t had a Campy bike in a long time... this Shimano/Shimano version needs less guesswork and fumbling and the nub on one side has nice stability with 12mm thru axle hubs.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosty View Post

I had the dual Shimano/Campy version but haven’t had a Campy bike in a long time... this Shimano/Shimano version needs less guesswork and fumbling and the nub on one side has nice stability with 12mm thru axle hubs.
A Shimano/Campy version could be a bit confusing, unless it is well labeled. As it happens, many Shimano lock ring tools can actually fit a Campagnolo lockring, although it is a bit tight on the diameter, while also being a bit sloppy between the splines. (While it is not ideal to use a mis-matched lockring tool, it will actually sometimes work in a pinch.)
Old 03-21-2018, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
A Shimano/Campy version could be a bit confusing, unless it is well labeled. As it happens, many Shimano lock ring tools can actually fit a Campagnolo lockring, although it is a bit tight on the diameter, while also being a bit sloppy between the splines. (While it is not ideal to use a mis-matched lockring tool, it will actually sometimes work in a pinch.)
it's not confusing in the least bit. i own the abbey dual tool, and there is no chance to make a mistake, and i regularly use it for both lockrings.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
it's not confusing in the least bit. i own the abbey dual tool, and there is no chance to make a mistake, and i regularly use it for both lockrings.
so do I. and 100% of the time it's "this side is the one I want", try it, then flip it over and loosen the lockring.

kinda like every time I've ever stuck a USB cable end into a computer.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
so do I. and 100% of the time it's "this side is the one I want", try it, then flip it over and loosen the lockring.

haha, it's true. i've actually considered painting one side. but then i would forget which side i painted.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:45 AM
foo

Yup, pretty much!
It's not confusing... just a bit fumble-y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post

Quote:
haha, it's true. i've actually considered painting one side. but then i would forget which side i painted.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Perhaps the Abbey tool is made with tighter tolerances. My Park Shimano lockring tools fits both my Shimano lockrings and my Campagnolo lockrings (although it fits better with the Shimano lockrings), and I have used it successfully on Campagnolo lockrings.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:15 PM
Administrator

the abbey tool is very high quality.

looking at the two, it sure doesnt look look like that should be possible, but i guess the park tool might be a little sloppier... (not doubting your experience, just thinking aloud)

Old 03-21-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
the abbey tool is very high quality.

looking at the two, it sure doesnt look look like that should be possible, but i guess the park tool might be a little sloppier... (not doubting your experience, just thinking aloud)

Notice that the Shimano and Campagnolo sides have the same number of splines (and in the same orientations). The Shimano splines are narrower, so they'll fit into the Campagnolo lockring grooves (while the wider Campagnolo splines won't fit into Shimano lockring grooves). The other difference is that the Shimano tool is just slightly larger in diameter the Campagnolo tool, so it may be too large in diameter to fit into a Campagnolo lockring. But if the Shimano side was just little smaller in diameter, it could just fit into a Campagnolo lockring (while still working perfectly fine with a Shimano lockring). This is the case with the Park tool I have.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Notice that the Shimano and Campagnolo sides have the same number of splines (and in the same orientations). The Shimano splines are narrower, so they'll fit into the Campagnolo lockring grooves (while the wider Campagnolo splines won't fit into Shimano lockring grooves). The other difference is that the Shimano tool is just slightly larger in diameter the Campagnolo tool, so it may be too large in diameter to fit into a Campagnolo lockring. But if the Shimano side was just little smaller in diameter, it could just fit into a Campagnolo lockring (while still working perfectly fine with a Shimano lockring). This is the case with the Park tool I have.
That photo is a tool of the very first batch of Crombie tools I made. The current tools have a longer S-Group side to work better with a Hyper Handle or comparable tool. The Campagnolo side is also tapered to take advantage of the different depths of lockring splines Campagnolo has made over the years for some reason I can't get an answer to.

Your suggestion of using the WRONG tool for the job is possible with some tools but it doesn't work with ours. We take advantage of all the room the lockrings offer and you're not squeezing something in there unless it's supposed to fit. Furthermore encouraging this kind of practice is bmx level hacker kind of methods. Good to know it'll work in a super pinch but not something to do in practice.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:56 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Ahead of tomorrow's thread- a shout out to Park Tool, specifically Marc!

Repaired my busted torque wrench, calibrated, and shipped it back in a day!
Old 04-16-2018, 07:25 PM
foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Ahead of tomorrow's thread- a shout out to Park Tool, specifically Marc!

Repaired my busted torque wrench, calibrated, and shipped it back in a day!
Phew... nice!

And thanks for giving the thread a nudge.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:30 PM

Does this count?

Finally got around to putting some pegboard up around my work table, and thought I'd make myself a nifty little board for my hex wrenches.

Nothing fancy, just a bare piece of wood with holes drilled into it and mounted with L screws.

Though I did plane the edges. I'm not an animal.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:38 PM
foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Does this count?

Finally got around to putting some pegboard up around my work table, and thought I'd make myself a nifty little board for my hex wrenches.

Nothing fancy, just a bare piece of wood with holes drilled into it and mounted with L screws.
Yea, it counts... nice!

Quote:
Though I did plane the edges. I'm not an animal.
Bonus points!