Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 09:45 AM

tough Friday morning so Bang.. 300mg of caffeine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bang.jpg (71.1 KB, 208 views)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:42 AM
You still here?

When I was (much) younger I lived in Hawaii, was single, enjoyed somewhat of a party life and developed a taste for rum. Any drink that contained rum was good by me. I got older, got married, acquired a modicum of responsibility and toned down things substantially.

Years later Tequila was my choice, a shot or so in a wine glass, sipped and savored over the evenings conversations. Still my favorite way to cap off a good day. Several weeks ago there was a story on 60 Minutes that told of the controversy regarding the legitimacy of two Havana Club rums, one from Puerto Rico and the other from Cuba. This stirred my rememberances of my days with rum. Living in Mexico an advantage is that Cuban products are widely available, no banned products here (cigars too). I found Havana Club Añejo Cuba in our local ultramarinos (grocery store) and bought a bottle to see what the fuss was. It was quite cheap, less than $10us.

What a nice, very pleasant spirit! Smooth and sweet with great characteristics that make it suitable for casual sipping, much too good to swill or mix. So, as you can see I’m about half way through my ‘research’. It’s not going to replace my beloved Tequila but supplement my evening enjoyment. The only trouble I can foresee is that I may have to share it with others that aren’t Tequila afficianados.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4239E4E1-6034-4C9E-BEEC-88315CA2FD9E.jpg (106.3 KB, 201 views)
Old 02-16-2018, 12:20 PM
v a n i l l a

I had the havana club (cuba) once - that was legit booze. $10? c'mon...thats the deal.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:19 PM
Lanterne rouge

Just finished a glass of good Rye over a few ice cubes.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:58 PM

Just finishing a McClean Vinyards Zinfandel. We had a frozen Home Run Inn pizza for dinner because Les had a busy day getting ready for a weekend celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the founding of our church: St. Paul's Lutheran in San Diego (Pacific Beach). She has former choir members returning to sing, brass quartet, tympani, etc. Tomorrow there is a free carnival at Doyle Park. I think it's very nice that we will have all of this to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of my entry into the world. Who knew? The McClean is pretty good but Predator is better for similar $$.

Oh yeah: Home Run Inn is a place we frequented on the west side of Chicago when I was in high school. If you can find one of their frozen margarita/sausage pies in your market it's worth a try.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 02-16-2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:09 AM

Zoe Maine Beer company happy hoppy ale that I got for valentines - very nice.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:09 PM

If anyone is looking for william larue weller, and a few of the "lower end" pappy kin:

https://onlineauctions.waddingtons.c...search=bourbon

I kind of wish I had not opened my bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle - paid $120 2 years ago, have taken 3 drinks out of it and now it is selling for $1100 a bottle.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:18 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
If anyone is looking for william larue weller, and a few of the "lower end" pappy kin:

https://onlineauctions.waddingtons.c...search=bourbon

I kind of wish I had not opened my bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle - paid $120 2 years ago, have taken 3 drinks out of it and now it is selling for $1100 a bottle.
$1100? $120? the last one of those I bought paid $40 off the shelf! (of course that was a few years ago...and sadly no longer a possibility)
You have it, so take a sip of it tonight and enjoy it.

IMHO the bidders should be chasing the WLW bottles.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:03 PM

The $120 was in CAD. If I win an allotment bottle next year it's going to auction.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:35 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
The $120 was in CAD. If I win an allotment bottle next year it's going to auction.
got it...that said, drink yours. let the others pay while you enjoy.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Just finishing a McClean Vinyards Zinfandel. We had a frozen Home Run Inn pizza for dinner because Les had a busy day getting ready for a weekend celebrating the 75th Anniversary of the founding of our church: St. Paul's Lutheran in San Diego (Pacific Beach). She has former choir members returning to sing, brass quartet, tympani, etc. Tomorrow there is a free carnival at Doyle Park. I think it's very nice that we will have all of this to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of my entry into the world. Who knew? The McClean is pretty good but Predator is better for similar $$.

Oh yeah: Home Run Inn is a place we frequented on the west side of Chicago when I was in high school. If you can find one of their frozen margarita/sausage pies in your market it's worth a try.
I will have to try the Predator. As a former Pacific Beach/Delmar/LaJolla resident, I know you are close some decent wine country. Fortunately, I live in Zinfandel country and there is a surfeit of good to spectacular Zins from local wineries. Currently drinking Cooper and Runquist Zins, both easy to drink and a nice mouthful.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:10 PM

We had a b'day party for me Monday night and Predator was VERY popular though we had LOTS of fun wines including Veuve Cliquot. Life is tough! :-)
Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 AM

Jeet Sweesus!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post

Best of set: willet 10 and four roses 2014

Honorable mention: PVW15 2016 just because. Frankly not as great as previous releases relatively speaking. Sort of like being at the mansion and getting lulled into thinking that one is a 5 when in any other situation would be an 11

Delorean: EC12 squat bottle. Should have backed up the truck when it was $20 all day long

Next week: annual Pliny the Younger road trip.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:45 PM
Lanterne rouge

Got this from a guy up the road. Its good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30460DE8-9FFF-4C55-B40C-05AE3AD3B9F1.jpg (127.0 KB, 98 views)
Old 02-27-2018, 05:39 PM

Fogbelt Federation Giant barrel aged Stout

I finally had a relaxing Saturday (well, after hanging a gutter on the garage).

DSC01783-1.jpg