Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
i noticed this saturday, i dont group ride often, so it was shocking to me. all these fancy S works with ultegra or dura ace and geez they were grinding and buzzing and so noisy. I was thinking sheesh, the bike shop owner oughta be selling chain lube at the start of every ride, or ear plugs, or tuneups, or Campy
I’ve also been surprised at how much the all carbon frames seem to magnify the shifting noise. Those hollow, plastic structures make each shift really ring out.

Tim
Old 02-19-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I’ve also been surprised at how much the all carbon frames seem to magnify the shifting noise. Those hollow, plastic structures make each shift really ring out.
deep carbon rims make it even worse.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
deep carbon rims make it even worse.
That may have been a big part of it. I usually ride solo and, when I hooked up with some other riders recently, I could not believe the noise they all made when shifting. My bikes have Campy and aluminum rims.

Tim
Old 02-20-2018, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post

I have never once been unable to repair a Campy equipped bike. I'm not going to say never, but no so far.
That's what they all say...on Paceline.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
That's what they all say...on Paceline.
Being a Campagnolo-centric shop in an area that is lousy with bike shops(22 in the republic, more in Boulder than Denver)..yes, Campagnolo is a small segment of bikes but if all or most of that segment come to one place(like Vecchio's)..it's a big segment(and income source) for the shop. There is one place that does Ducati in Boulder(we sold a bike to the main wrench there..last name Maertens..yup, same family)....and they are very, very busy.....

PLUS, being Euro-Campag-kinda smaller frame brand centric..a lot of people come in just to look and see..and THAT generates biz too...it's really not that hard if you know yer *****e, have economy of scale, and not try to be all things to all riders...no tag-a-longs or kiddie bikes, thanks..
Old 02-20-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Reek View Post
Unless you're riding Mavic Zap, your groupset sucks.
Hahaha !!!!
Old 02-20-2018, 09:31 AM

I'm a Campy guy through and through but given their poor Record of pedal offerings over the years this is my one concession to Shimano.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:38 AM

Campagnolo

All I have ever known is Campagnolo I am most comfortable with it. I have several steel bikes all with Campagnolo and a new Carbon with 11speed and I am so very happy with this amazing and historic company. Shimano is so well marketed especially with newer generation. I ride regular in race groups and I rarely se Campagnolo groupo’s.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:16 AM

Wait...

Wait...Campy isn't popular?!? All Campy here, both road bikes w/ SR EPS and the gravel/singletrack rig is SR Mechanical. Oh well, I've never been all that cool or popular...
Old 02-21-2018, 07:00 AM

Yeah, I still love my Campy R11 stuff. Just wish it were less expensive. Hence the SRAM stuff on the CX bike
Old 02-21-2018, 07:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPIC! Stratton View Post
Yeah, I still love my Campy R11 stuff. Just wish it were less expensive. Hence the SRAM stuff on the CX bike
Chorus...mix and match....
Old 02-21-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Chorus...mix and match....
Hah. Well upgraded to the bike trailer and a 18mo so I'm pushing for a tune on this one and a new bike in 2 years.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC Slim View Post
I'm a Campy guy through and through but given their poor Record of pedal offerings over the years this is my one concession to Shimano.
These were acceptable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (8.6 KB, 117 views)
Old 02-21-2018, 02:02 PM

Long time Campagnolo exclusively guy. I'm going to sound a bit harsh here, but a family business will only succeed if the family members taking over are competent. The errors the current crew make from a business perspective are mind boggling.
For example, I read an interview last summer with the Campag brand manager. The interviewer asked him why the drop in market share vs shimano. He explained that it was because in the past, customers had frames specially built by custom builders, and then carefully selected the components one by one. He said they just realized, in 2017, that consumers actually now buy complete bikes. They just realized this NOW? 30 years late!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Long time Campagnolo exclusively guy. I'm going to sound a bit harsh here, but a family business will only succeed if the family members taking over are competent. The errors the current crew make from a business perspective are mind boggling.
For example, I read an interview last summer with the Campag brand manager. The interviewer asked him why the drop in market share vs shimano. He explained that it was because in the past, customers had frames specially built by custom builders, and then carefully selected the components one by one. He said they just realized, in 2017, that consumers actually now buy complete bikes. They just realized this NOW? 30 years late!
Which past was that? 1940? I had someone tell me recently that in the 1970s most frames were custom.

Sometimes I read things that make me wonder if I'm living in an alternate reality from the author.