Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
Luge is great and one of the few sports that an old fart like myself can actually train for while watching the event.. Just recline the La-z-boy as far back as it will go and lean a bit into the turns as they pop up on the coarse. I'm so good at it that I can complete multiple runs without spilling a beer.
I tried doing this too but I got cramps in my toes from trying to enter the turns.I guess I'm too old to be so active.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
What is duller to watch than luge and skeleton racing? Who wants to watch people slide down a tube while lying as still as they can? Maybe they should just roll bowling balls down the track to generate the same spectator excitement.
Found an answer for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GgTA8e2LXU

"...Who wants to watch people slide down a tube while standing as still as they can?..."

Ps. Love the commentators too
Old 02-20-2018, 06:44 PM

What about natural track luge? I didn't even know it was a thing.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
What about natural track luge? I didn't even know it was a thing.
Whoah! This looks a lot more interesting that Olympic luge. Picking lines through corners seems much more difficult. And with the walls that are usually on the sides of the track, there has to be some epic crashes.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:59 AM

Leaving the winter realm re sports, but to answer OP's original question - golf. Easily the most boring game in the world. Boring to watch. Boring to play. Boring everything.*, **

*Excluding mini-golf, which is always fun. This is an absolute.
** Excluding the driving range and a good six pack.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:19 AM

I love all the sled races. The short track speed skating is my favorite though.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetuximab View Post
I hate curling.
And yet it has the highest TV audience of any sport at the Olympics.

You may as well just turn the Olympics off then.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:58 AM

Natural luge.

When I lived in Denver, there were several deaths when skate boarders would "luge" down the Mount Evans road at night. Needless to say, a number of them got trucked.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:01 PM

I like Skeleton. Speed and danger. The sled sounds like a rocket on the track. Luge is another of my faves. I enjoy all of the sledding sports. Although 2-man luge is just plain weird. How did they come up with that idea?

At the risk of sounding cliche, olympic coverage this year is really lame. All I seem to be able to see are figure skating, ice dancing, curling, and X-games type stuff. I don't care of the events that are scored by a judges opinion. And curling is like bowling on ice. I like to bowl, but don't like watching someone else do it on TV.

I enjoy cross country skiing, biathlon, and hockey. Downhill skiing events are cool, as is ski jumping. Seems like I am never able to catch any of these on TV. Heck, the other night (Sunday), NBC was running prime time coverage of women's downhill practice. In prime time...coverage of practice. I could hear Allen Iverson in the background...

Last edited by berserk87; 02-21-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:04 PM

Not boring....US Women’s victory in the cross country ski sprint relay.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
Not boring....US Women’s victory in the cross country ski sprint relay.
All kinds of relays are usually exciting because of the complication of handoffs/changeovers and the potential for disaster they engender.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
I like Skeleton. Speed and danger. The sled sounds like a rocket on the track. Luge is another of my faves. I enjoy all of the sledding sports. Although 2-man luge is just plain weird. How did they come up with that idea?

At the risk of sounding cliche, olympic coverage this year is really lame. All I seem to be able to see are figure skating, ice dancing, curling, and X-games type stuff. I don't care of the events that are scored by a judges opinion. And curling is like bowling on ice. I like to bowl, but don't like watching someone else do it on TV.

I enjoy cross country skiing, biathlon, and hockey. Downhill skiing events are cool, as is ski jumping. Seems like I am never able to catch any of these on TV. Heck, the other night (Sunday), NBC was running prime time coverage of women's downhill practice. In prime time...coverage of practice. I could hear Allen Iverson in the background...
+1 A lot of the evening coverage is pretty poor. Has NBC shown anything hockey related this year other than that lame fluff piece about the Korean women's hockey coach?
Old 02-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Byron

Quote:
Luge is great and one of the few sports that an old fart like myself can actually train for while watching the event.. Just recline the La-z-boy as far back as it will go and lean a bit into the turns as they pop up on the coarse. I'm so good at it that I can complete multiple runs without spilling a beer.
You must have a more limber neck than I. Mine gets sore just watching them.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:40 PM

Most any sport you are not a participant in is generally boring. Bowling, fishing, hunting, bikes, NASCAR, football,,,,if you don't know the the skill required you won't appreciate the effort necessary to be at the top.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
+1 A lot of the evening coverage is pretty poor. Has NBC shown anything hockey related this year other than that lame fluff piece about the Korean women's hockey coach?
I don't think so. There is another cable channel that I have that shows hockey, but it's taped delayed. I know the result before I can watch the game, so it's not very cool.