Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 08:26 AM

UCI needs a concussion protocol

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/02/conc...bu-dhabi-tour/

Cavendish apparently suffered a concussion, got back on his bike, and raced another 5km before they realized that wasn't a good idea. Kind of reminds me of the scene last year when the rider crashed on his head, got up wobbly, was almost run over by riders/team cars, was helped back on bike before bouncing off the curb a few times (maybe Cannondale rider at tour de cali?).
UCI really needs to institute a concussion protocol, like real major sport do. Or would that take too much leadership?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Kind of reminds me of the scene last year when the rider crashed on his head, got up wobbly, was almost run over by riders/team cars, was helped back on bike before bouncing off the curb a few times (maybe Cannondale rider at tour de cali?).
Yeah, it was Toms Skujins, who now races for Trek-Segafredo.

For a one-day race, if someone needs to pull you aside and evaluate you medically for a concussion, you would be done anyways. For a stage race, maybe you could allow the rider back into the race (if they pass) so they can help their teammates in the next stage?
Old 02-21-2018, 08:48 AM
Kind of OK

Speaking as someone who is 5 weeks out recovering from a concussion, they need to have some way to assess whether your head made significant contact with anything. When I planted my face and head firmly on the planet, I was actually pretty coherent and probably would have waved the ambulance off had I not had a broken wrist and foot.
I'm writing this now with one closed eye due to double vision resulting from a third nerve palsy that only showed up the next day. My balance is for schiet, my eyes don't react to light quickly and I'm generally a step slow.
Perhaps helmets can have some sort of paint indicator that will visually show that it has deformed due to contact?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:14 AM
Classics Fan

I've been saying this for years.

The fair thing to do, given the importance of team mates in a grand tour, is to have some way to take a rider to a hospital under certain criteria and then (if they are healed/better) allow them back in the race the next day, but disqualify them from GC and possibly other contests within the race.

The issue is just that you don't want a rider or team to 'game' the system, and try to use it to get an advantage.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:18 AM

You'd think a sport where people whack their heads on pavement at high speed would take head injuries just a tad more seriously.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
You'd think a sport where people whack their heads on pavement at high speed would take head injuries just a tad more seriously.

It's because they aren't forced to. The NHL and NFL were forced to do so for fear of being held liable. Pro cyclists have poor representation and are treated like livestock. I'm not talking about a mobile MRI unit following around the peloton here. Just a simple protocol administered by the race doctor looking for concussion symptoms. Takes a minute or two. Honestly, I think race organizers love to put concussed guys back on the bike. Makes for dramatic tv.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
Speaking as someone who is 5 weeks out recovering from a concussion, they need to have some way to assess whether your head made significant contact with anything. When I planted my face and head firmly on the planet, I was actually pretty coherent and probably would have waved the ambulance off had I not had a broken wrist and foot.
I'm writing this now with one closed eye due to double vision resulting from a third nerve palsy that only showed up the next day. My balance is for schiet, my eyes don't react to light quickly and I'm generally a step slow.
Perhaps helmets can have some sort of paint indicator that will visually show that it has deformed due to contact?
I hear you. I was knocked out in 2012 in a wreck. Rode 117 miles the next day and have never been right sense. Migraines, amnesia, and light sensitivity for well over a year after. And now 6 years later and I stil have memory issues and the biggie is a total lack of concentration. It almost impossible for me to say on task. Even simple things like keeping my train of thought focused while typing a comment here is a challenge now. And nothing like having 10 or 15 seconds out of the blue where you don't know who you are, where you are, etc.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
Speaking as someone who is 5 weeks out recovering from a concussion,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Even simple things like keeping my train of thought focused while typing a comment here is a challenge now. And nothing like having 10 or 15 seconds out of the blue where you don't know who you are, where you are, etc.
Damn.