Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 10:52 AM
Administrator

my particular circumstances mean that i do most of my riding solo, and with 2 kids, and busy lives, the reality is that it would be inconvenient, to say the least to have to get rescued on the side of the road for something as silly as a flat.

i'll admit straight away that i've pinched tubes on the side of the road trying to install too quickly. it's not out of the question to have a few flats on a spirited ride where i'll take a gravel descent too quickly and hit a rock or two just the wrong way.

all that combined, my preference is a source of unlimited air. frame pump or good mini pump have never let me down. i also carry the small park glueless patches, about the size of a quarter and weigh about as much. i've definitely used it on the side of the road when i pinched my spare tube on install, and other times when multiple flats come into play.

with the mini pump and the glueless patches, i can pretty much be sure no amount of flats will prevent me from carrying on with a ride and home.

the other thing about just CO2 that would bother me, is once it's gone, it's gone - meaning that if you get a flat on a planned 60 mile ride at mile 10 - you have to just hope you'll be good for the last 50 miles. the boyscout in me just doesnt like those odds.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:54 PM

Frame pump!

Old 02-24-2018, 06:03 PM

My favorite was helping some guy on a fondo who misused his only CO2 and was stranded on the side of the road with 40 miles to go. I stop my ride to lend him my frame pump, and the guy doesn’t know how to pump properly and bends his valve, and blames me for lending him a crappy pump. Cant win.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:58 AM

I'm a fan of pumps, I have one for each bike...just check them every now and then to make sure they are in good working order. But I just built a bike with tubeless tires, and I'm thinking there might be a time I may need the instant shot of air...
Old 02-25-2018, 07:19 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
I'm a fan of pumps, I have one for each bike...just check them every now and then to make sure they are in good working order. But I just built a bike with tubeless tires, and I'm thinking there might be a time I may need the instant shot of air...
I mean if you have a flat on tubeless you going to be put a tube in anywyas so no need for co2
Old 02-25-2018, 07:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
If ya got goop in there, and you flat anyway..you will need a tube or a ride home...If it's really cut bad(you'll know that as the goop sprays all over everything)...boot it with a $1 bill($5 in the republic) and go home.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
my particular circumstances mean that i do most of my riding solo, and with 2 kids, and busy lives, the reality is that it would be inconvenient, to say the least to have to get rescued on the side of the road for something as silly as a flat.

i'll admit straight away that i've pinched tubes on the side of the road trying to install too quickly. it's not out of the question to have a few flats on a spirited ride where i'll take a gravel descent too quickly and hit a rock or two just the wrong way.

all that combined, my preference is a source of unlimited air. frame pump or good mini pump have never let me down. i also carry the small park glueless patches, about the size of a quarter and weigh about as much. i've definitely used it on the side of the road when i pinched my spare tube on install, and other times when multiple flats come into play.

with the mini pump and the glueless patches, i can pretty much be sure no amount of flats will prevent me from carrying on with a ride and home.

the other thing about just CO2 that would bother me, is once it's gone, it's gone - meaning that if you get a flat on a planned 60 mile ride at mile 10 - you have to just hope you'll be good for the last 50 miles. the boyscout in me just doesnt like those odds.
Could not write it any better.
Frame pump, spare tube, fresh patch kit.
I’m riding home, not walking and not calling to be rescued.

And it is satisfying to hand my pump over to the guy who just flubbed his CO2 inflation.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enr1co View Post
Attachment 1697955279
Decided i no longer wanted to be part of the problem to adding unused CO2 cartridges to the environment. I carry a lezyne mini on my plastic bike but this ~20 yr old blackburn aluminum blows its away-pun intended
It leaves some barely visible marks that can easily be wiped off if needed.
[QUOTE=donevwil;2317848]Official FP-1 hoarder approved!

Moi aussi! Same bike as Enrico, same pump as him and donevil, same location. Big fan of the NDS seatstay placement (just peeking out on the -- old-school style fits this old guy well Oh, and I've lost count how many times it's been loaned out; I've only used it minimally myself (tubular guy for the win) but love having an unlimited supply of air when I go out on long solo rides.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:11 PM

What AS said
Old 02-26-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickl View Post
I’ve been the savior on several group ride when those with lesser equipment have used my pump to expedite their situation.
the couple times I've lent my frame pump to people, they've either just stared at me, confused, or started using it for five seconds, decided it was taking way too long, and borrowed another co2 cart instead. the co2 stuff is great for group rides as you get back up and going pretty quickly (most times). plus you have backup options with the other riders, should something go wrong. for long solo rides, I can't see using it.

I'm definitely in the frame pump camp, for all the reasons Angry mentioned. a viable alternative is the lezyne road drive (or pressure drive for MTB pressures). those definitely will get you up to 100psi if you need it, without ripping your arm off.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:54 AM

For my road riding needs, I' always have a frame pump (or quality mini pump), spare tube, patch kit, and something to make a tire boot, usually a $1 bill.

I pretty much never go on group rides, and when I can get out for a long ride, it's by myself and I want to be able to finish the ride, and an unlimited air supply drastically increases those odds. A pump is also the best thing for adjusting pressure during a ride, or topping off a slow leak.

I do carry Co2 on my shorter MTB rides. 3" tubeless tires mean flats are a thing of the past, and if something catastrophic happens to a tire, it's a short walk back to the car. I did learn the hard way a few of years ago that a single 16g cartridge is not enough to fill a 29x3.0 tire to ride-able pressure! Now I carry 2, and luckily have not needed them in a few years.

I also do some long all day exploratory off-road rides on occasion, and most certainly carry a pump for those!
Old 02-26-2018, 07:55 AM

You frame pump users are certainly a self-righteous bunch. I've not had a pump for 25 years, and the only times I've called for rescue have been solo rides when I was out of spare tubulars or tubes. I certainly know how to use a pump. I just choose not to clutter my bike with a frame pump or a large saddle bag.

So there. Now go polish your Nuevo Record downtube shifters.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:01 AM

Also a question:

Anyone ever mounted a frame pump above the top tube? My previous frame had a pump peg and my Blackburn fit perfectly under the top tube. My new frame (Salsa Vaya travel) has no pump peg, and the orientation of the cables and coupler combine to make the pump not fit well underneath. I also tried the seatstay location, but the Alternator swinging dropout setup makes that not work either. Then I noticed it fits perfectly above the top tube. Looks a little weird, but seems to work. I guess I could also use those rubber blocks and straps, but I'd rather avoid that.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:22 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeNY View Post
Also a question:

Anyone ever mounted a frame pump above the top tube? My previous frame had a pump peg and my Blackburn fit perfectly under the top tube. My new frame (Salsa Vaya travel) has no pump peg, and the orientation of the cables and coupler combine to make the pump not fit well underneath. I also tried the seatstay location, but the Alternator swinging dropout setup makes that not work either. Then I noticed it fits perfectly above the top tube. Looks a little weird, but seems to work. I guess I could also use those rubber blocks and straps, but I'd rather avoid that.
I had a bike that had a HT extention and also a ST one, so I put my frame pump there. Was awesome since I did a couple of mini tours on that bike and this way the frame pump played well with the frame bag.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
You frame pump users are certainly a self-righteous bunch. I've not had a pump for 25 years, and the only times I've called for rescue have been solo rides when I was out of spare tubulars or tubes. I certainly know how to use a pump. I just choose not to clutter my bike with a frame pump or a large saddle bag.

So there. Now go polish your Nuevo Record downtube shifters.
No kidding. I carry two spare tubes and two 16g CO2 carrridges in a seat pack on all rides. I can’t remember a time when I’ve ever flatted more than once and needed to use a second tube or cartridge, even on long rides. I’ve given spare tubes and cartridges away a few times. I’ve never had to call for a rescue due to a flat tire.