Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2018, 07:44 AM

Mountain bike rear derailleurs

What started out as a little experiment with Jones HBars has lead to a complete drive train overhaul on my BMC MonsterCross. I'll skip the details other than to say I'm looking for a Shimano XT 10 speed rear derailleur. They seem to come in two flavors, direct mount and normal. I'm not clear on the difference between the two. Which one will work on my frame?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Direct mount relies on a specific hanger that's built into the frame. The 'normal' mount versions are also direct mount compatible by taking off the top, pivoting arm.

Now... What shifters are you using? If you're running 10sp road shifters, you'll want anything up to a 9sp rear derailleur.

If you're running 10sp mountain shifters, you'll want the 10sp mtn derailleur.

Get the clutch (I don't remember if they make a non-clutched 10sp) version if you can.

HTH

M
Old 05-19-2018, 09:44 AM
Resident Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Direct mount relies on a specific hanger that's built into the frame. The 'normal' mount versions are also direct mount compatible by taking off the top, pivoting arm.

Now... What shifters are you using? If you're running 10sp road shifters, you'll want anything up to a 9sp rear derailleur.

If you're running 10sp mountain shifters, you'll want the 10sp mtn derailleur.

Get the clutch (I don't remember if they make a non-clutched 10sp) version if you can.

HTH

M
To add to this, if you wish to run a cassette larger than the max specified by the factory, WolfTooth/Lindarets make a b-link replacement called the Goatlink.

And as Gummee said, definitely get the clutch version for chain retension. If you get a standard non-clutch derailleur, at best you'll have major chainslap and at worst you'll just be dropping chains if you're running 1x.

If you're running 10spd MTB shifters, just make sure the derailleur has the Dyna-Sys "D" logo on it. This will guarantee compatibility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dynasys.jpg (106.2 KB, 70 views)
Old 05-19-2018, 03:28 PM
bykhed

If using sti shifters and a 10 speed clutch, use a jtek shiftmate to mix and match

http://www.jtekengineering.com/shift...harts-choices/