Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2018, 02:01 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
yikes. pull 'em apart and lube once a month? I have done it, but nowhere near this often. even on my winter bike.

what do you guys like for clean/lube? WD40 and Phil's?
Simple green then grease...mixture of lithium and boat grease. Pretty light blue color.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:25 AM
UN-Registered® User!

Check your Derailleur pulleys for needed maintenance

This was one of the main reasons I moved to using a derailleur cage with larger pulleys, not so much for the watt savings BS.... I use a Berner Cage.

I do not think that even with the new redesigned 12 speed rear derailleur top pulley this problem will be fully solved.

Do yourself a favor, get a big pulley cage.... yes they are ugly, but shifting will be better and cleaning your drive train will be much faster and easier...

I use Muc Off MO94 to wipe and clean my pulleys. Takes me less than 5 minutes and I do it seldom. Once a year or if I have ridden in terrible weather a few times, I take the time to do a better job and clean and lube them with a ceramic specific lube... liquid lube, that is, never grease!

I prefer to stay away from Simple Green or any cleaner that is not intended to be specifically used on bikes or high end car surfaces. The only exception being Simple Green Extreme, which is made for these purposes... and that’s not for my bikes moving parts!

Remember the lube you use will also have a big impact on how nasty these pulleys can get. My choice of lube as of now are White Lightning Clean Ride or Muc Off Dry Ceramic Lube C3. With these lubes I can go for weeks with my drive train looking and shifting great... and they perform well in wet conditions as well... however, remember that if you get caught in rain, you should always clean your chain and lube it no matter what!

Last edited by Avispa; 05-19-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
And replace the top on the top and the bottom on the bottom..-PAL

Once a month I take chain off, cogset off, chainrings off and der pulleys out..clean, lube, replace..
And look for the little arrow for correct direction.