Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-06-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I'm not sure that it's not a solution in search of a problem. It may have success as niche product, but at that price I hardly think it'll be mass market.

They postulate that digital readouts confuse, but I won't buy that, either.
To my eye, based on the pics I've seen of this thing, it looks harder to read than a digital display. There's too much on the dial.

I like the idea, though. If it were (much) cheaper, and a little less busy, I'd probably pick one up. But for the price, I'll pass.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:34 AM
not banished

There is a science that analog dials reduce cognitive loads???????

That assumes a lot of variables.

Anyhoooooo. I like the thought, but the $500 price is kind of a joke so for now I will pass.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:00 AM

I get how analog reduces cognitive load. Its the same as how I use the gauges in a racecar...

You "clock" all the analog gauges so that when in the normal operating range, or in the case of RPM at the critical point of redline, all the needles point at 12 o'clock. That way, all I need to do is take a quick glance and see that all the needles are pointed in the same direction. I don't care, at that time, about the number or value itself... Just STRAIGHT UP.

Apply that to a bicycle ride... Its a different aesthetic and a different way of approaching your riding. If you care, really, about fractions of a MPH, then this isn't the tool for you.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Category VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulasaab View Post
I get how analog reduces cognitive load. Its the same as how I use the gauges in a racecar...

You "clock" all the analog gauges so that when in the normal operating range, or in the case of RPM at the critical point of redline, all the needles point at 12 o'clock. That way, all I need to do is take a quick glance and see that all the needles are pointed in the same direction. I don't care, at that time, about the number or value itself... Just STRAIGHT UP.

Apply that to a bicycle ride... Its a different aesthetic and a different way of approaching your riding. If you care, really, about fractions of a MPH, then this isn't the tool for you.
Hmm interesting point. I guess I'm just too science-y.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP4-ZtzF1Vg
Old 04-07-2016, 06:36 PM

I would really like to get one but at $500 bucks I'll just keep my garmin. Maybe they will lower the rrsp if there is a huge demand for it. They already surpassed the kickstarter campaign. They really have to get power/cadence/HR incorporated in the device. Either way I;m glad that they are bringing some style back to the market.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:17 PM
Classics Fan

I just noticed that Cancellara's twitter feed has like 20 retweets of pictures for this Omata thing.

is he now a co-owner or something? Is he retiring to pursue his dream of an analog bike computer?

https://twitter.com/f_cancellara
Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 PM

i think it is easier to read just because it's not a screen, digital or not.
my biggest gripe with my 810 is that the size of the touchscreen is a power suck. it auto dims to save power and the readability (and glare) really changes in different light conditions or shadows. my old 705 didn't have this problem and i'll just assume it's the change to touchscreen. the analog readout with physical needles allows it to be hi contrast all the time without draining the battery. when i drive and glance at the speedo, i'm not concerned with 50 vs 52. it points somewhere in that area and i'm good. no, i don't need to know tenths of mph, just a general idea, like slow (ish) or fast (ish).

for a speedometer to look like a traditional speedometer but with gps powering the data, i'm interested. i don't know if i'm $500 interested, but i'm interested.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhd View Post
It would look great on a titanium fixie.

I've just built a titanium fixed gear, and I love this thing. May buy one for myself when I graduate college and get a big boy job (next year at 27? I'm old).

I love the way these look, and much prefer an analog dial do a digital dial. I often ride with my computer in my jersey pocket. I also may just grab a garmin mount and some dog-ear replacement tabs and stick em on a nice looking cheap timex to shove out front on the bike.