Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2018, 09:58 PM

Trek Domane SL vs. SLR

The shop where I work is picking up Trek, so I was thinking of trying one of these bikes. I've never ridden or even seen one but I gather from the internet that they are very well regarded.

So, I'm interested in comments on the SL vs the SLR. I'm aware that the differences are 500 vs 600 series carbon, and fixed vs. adjustable rear Isospeed. I'm curious how the differences play out in real world riding. Has anyone owned both? Or at least ridden both?

If it matters, I looking at the "8" level. That would be the Domane SL 8 Disc and the Domane SLR 8 Disc. They are both mechanical Dura-Ace with Aeolus Pro 3 wheels. Cockpit pieces do vary a bit between the models.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2018, 08:55 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

I've got no direct answer to the question, but I DID own a Boone for a few years.

Best riding road-based bike I've had in a very long time.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, but for resale, the fancier one will be easier to move on

HTH

M
Old 05-19-2018, 09:27 AM

The difference between them is the R.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:18 AM
Older Than You

I've ridden them both but not much more than around the block.
Cover up all the decals and you won't be able to notice any difference.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:21 AM

Have not tested Domane bikes so I can only offer up some Trek related insight.

The Aeolus Pro wheels are nice but a bit heavy. You might be better served purchasing the SL and upgrading to the top Aeolus wheels.

Also, as a fairly recent Trek purchaser and having seen Shimano crank arms falling off other new Trek bicycles, Trek's QA needs to do a better job ensuring bits are torqued properly. As do selling dealers. I found bolts with no/little torque and others with too much.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post

Also, as a fairly recent Trek purchaser and having seen Shimano crank arms falling off other new Trek bicycles, Trek's QA needs to do a better job ensuring bits are torqued properly. As do selling dealers. I found bolts with no/little torque and others with too much.
Good to know. I'll look out for that....since I am the guy that builds up the bikes!
Old 05-19-2018, 10:39 AM
kg

Having owned the Aeolus 3 and now the Aeolus 5 Pro, I can say that both are excellent and I couldn’t imagine selling the pros second hand and then spending $1200-1500 more for the Aeolus at retail. I use the pros mostly for racing.

I owned an Emonda SLR 9 for a while and then rented an S on a trip. I can only assume the SL is a significant step up from the S because the S was an unresponsive tank. The SL (at least in Emonda) gets very good reviews. The SLR was a superbike.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:55 AM

If your shop is picking up Trek why not contact the rep to get a demo for you? They would be happy to get a shop employee excited for one of the their bikes.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:08 PM
Evil Genius

For what it's worth, I think the adjustable Isospeed rear is rather interesting. Does it make a HUGE difference? Perhaps not, but there's a noticeable difference in damping with the adjuster at its extremes. Naturally, I tend to ride my SLR 9 with the Isospeed in it's more neutral position...or, at least, the middle.

The ONE thing I wish I HAD done...disc brakes. I've just done a Wilier Cento10Air with disc brakes, and I REALLY wish I'd sprung for them on the Domane.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2351 View Post
If your shop is picking up Trek why not contact the rep to get a demo for you? They would be happy to get a shop employee excited for one of the their bikes.
This might be a possibility depending on their demo program. However in the past we've not had demos of any kind and certainly not a bike of this caliber. Just doesn't make a lot of sense in our market. With 100+ bikes in inventory maybe half a dozen are $2k+. Maybe. And only 2 of them are road bikes.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartenmeister View Post
This might be a possibility depending on their demo program. However in the past we've not had demos of any kind and certainly not a bike of this caliber. Just doesn't make a lot of sense in our market. With 100+ bikes in inventory maybe half a dozen are $2k+. Maybe. And only 2 of them are road bikes.
It never hurts to ask.