Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2018, 07:58 AM

Severals years ago, my EKG at the end of a stress test indicated that I went into 'ST depression' when I went anaerobic. ST depression is essentially the cardiac signal indicative of sudden death by heat attack, so you can imagine the concern.

I felt fine during the test and was ready to go to the next level, but the doc pulled the plug immediately, and I found myself in the hospital the next day for a cardiac cath. I was found to be 'clean as a whistle' which of course puzzled the cardiologist to no end. Three stress tests later, including a nuclear test, it seems that that is just what my body does at high stress levels. I've been given a clean bill of health by multiple doctors, and I have ridden many thousands of miles since then in all kinds of climate and terrain with no problem.

But it is weird.....
Old 05-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadence90 View Post
I recently completed a 9-week intensive cardiac rehabilitation program (Ornish) following my open-heart surgery. The program was excellent, and I and my fellow participants all showed good to excellent improvement even after such a short time. It is a lifetime lifestyle revision, really, but the effectiveness starts very soon.

The Ornish program comprises four modalities:
  • Exercise/Fitness
  • Diet
  • Communication/Support
  • Stress Management

The first three modalities are self-explanatory in terms of health benefits. The fourth, Stress Management, consists of gentle (not the weird aggro-television stuff), focused yoga and meditation, min 30 minutes max 60 minutes per day if possible (very hard to do even 30). Fortunately there is no "hippie-ness, dream catching, or "ohhhmmmm"-ing" about it at all...just very relaxed but very focused concentration. "Mindfulness", exactly...that is a term they used over and over.

Long-term studies have shown that while of course the other three modalities are critically important, Stress Management has been the component most responsible for not only cardiac health improvement but actually also reversal of the original (stress-induced) conditions.

I too was a real skeptic at first, and now instead am a believer in the effectiveness of proper stress management/yoga/meditation. Truly relaxing is critical and extremely helpful; it leads to much more energy, to much better sleep, to a healthier heart and mind, etc.
I had bypass surgery in 1987. At that time heart disease was considered non reversible. Dr. Ornih's first book came out around 1990. A lot of people thought this almost vegetarian diet was rather radical. Just another doctor trying to make a few bucks with a different approach to heart disease.

Dr. Ornish got results...big time. Tests have shown real reduction of plaque in arteries. I had a couple of friends that refused to do any lifestyle change after heart surgery. One died at 42 after a second heart surgery. The other was 51. Some people don't seem to get the message.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:35 PM
なんでやねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
your insulin will be much better regulated without caffeine.
Very interested in this. Any further information? Could be part of why I have such a terrible time losing weight.

I'm an unfortunate owl in a world where business hours are set by evil larks.

Was doing okay with not more than a cup or two until Daylight Savings Time and then it all went off the rails ...
Old 05-19-2018, 03:39 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-29-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:22 PM

Dr Ornish is a leader in lifestyle medicine. More valuable research, Dr Esselstyn's "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" . Dr Greger's "How Not To Die". Documentary "Forks Over Knives". There are thousands of studies and decades of research showing that you cannot out run, out cycle, or out train a poor diet. One can look great on the outside while having clogged arteries.The first sign of trouble may be the last. The modern american diet of processed foods, dairy and animal products has been proven to lead to heart disease and other diseases. As others have mentioned "The Haywire Heart" has great information on electrical issues, A fib etc.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:16 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Update, I had a second event on Saturday. This one was not a MI, merely a massive panic attack. There was chest tightness and I came very close to passing out several times. At one point I had trouble breathing. The enzymes were still present but diminished after the actual MI.

I have since learned that a cardiac artery spasm can be brought on by intense emotional stress in people with risk factors, even in those who's arteries are clear.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...m/faq-20058316

It appears this is why my otherwise healthy heart had a MI.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:40 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-29-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:31 PM
Boeuf Chane

Would anti-anxiety meds help?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:32 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Would anti-anxiety meds help?
Seem to.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:50 PM
AZ Slowpoke

My doctor has advised me to take another four weeks off of the bike. That means I will be six weeks off total. Prior to the attack I had been in what is solid racing fitness for me. Obviously that's going to diminish to an extent by the time I get back into it. Which, I'd like to try getting back to a race fitness level. There was no heart damage and per the doctors there is no reason I shouldn't expect a full recovery.

The question is, how to go about getting back at it? It seems like it would be unwise to jump right into four hour endurance rides and intervals. Initially my thought would be to do some light Z1-2 spinning on a trainer a few times a week for the first couple of weeks. Then after I've established some confidence start to introduce 60-90 minute rides on the road. After a month or so, if all goes well, I can start a base phase with an eye towards peaking for a fast century in November. Any thoughts?
Old 06-01-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I recently completed a 9-week intensive cardiac rehabilitation program (Ornish) following my open-heart surgery. The program was excellent, and I and my fellow participants all showed good to excellent improvement even after such a short time. It is a lifetime lifestyle revision, really, but the effectiveness starts very soon.

The Ornish program comprises four modalities:
  • Exercise/Fitness
  • Diet
  • Communication/Support
  • Stress Management

The first three modalities are self-explanatory in terms of health benefits. The fourth, Stress Management, consists of gentle (not the weird aggro-television stuff), focused yoga and meditation, min 30 minutes max 60 minutes per day if possible (very hard to do even 30). Fortunately there is no "hippie-ness, dream catching, or "ohhhmmmm"-ing" about it at all...just very relaxed but very focused concentration. "Mindfulness", exactly...that is a term they used over and over.

Long-term studies have shown that while of course the other three modalities are critically important, Stress Management has been the component most responsible for not only cardiac health improvement but actually also reversal of the original (stress-induced) conditions.

I too was a real skeptic at first, and now instead am a believer in the effectiveness of proper stress management/yoga/meditation. Truly relaxing is critical and extremely helpful; it leads to much more energy, to much better sleep, to a healthier heart and mind, etc.

Glad you seem to be recouping from this and taking steps to insure a health longterm situation.

Mindfullness is truly a game changer for anyone trying it with an open mind and sticking to it for a while. I still tend to forget just how much better i feel when i do schedule to "relax". Bit weird im not more rigorous about it considering how much better i feel in general from it.

Heal well
Old 06-01-2018, 01:40 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-29-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:46 PM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
The goal isn't really "some fast century in November" first and foremost, but it can of course be a motivator. The goal is to feel better, and to actually be healthier, tomorrow, and then the day after, and then the day after that. November will come on time or not. If not, there will be another.

Best wishes for a strong and healthy recovery.

Thanks,

Correct, the goal really isn't doing the century in a PR, the goal is to work towards fitness and re-establish my routine on the bike.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:56 PM

.... ..

Last edited by cadence90; 07-29-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:07 PM
AZ Slowpoke

In my case, reducing the stress may not be all that hard. For the past eighteen months I have been taking on every project that came down the pike and working every day of the week 12-15 hours a day. Once something went sideways it became impossible to manage. This way of living is gone, I'm not doing it anymore.