Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-19-2021, 10:28 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
The Super League:
May it meet a swift and decisive demise.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonster View Post
may it meet a swift and decisive demise.
+1
Old 04-19-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
with the way some of the Spanish clubs ran themselves into debt, it's doubtful this would even help them in the long term.

That said, both the establishment and the breakaway are amoral at best and immoral at worst. I may actually stop watching football (though none in the Bundesliga has yet to sign up for this).
Old 04-19-2021, 06:10 PM

I used to watch football heavily from 2005 to about 2014. I got to enjoy so many great players and teams in that era. In the years to follow football has been good but money became a bigger factor.

I think about 2008 it began to change. Them Kaka and Cristiano Ronaldo set the records for transfer spending. After that the euros and pounds began to just fly all over the place.

Then I realized that Florentino Perez is a sort of villain. I was a Real Madrid fan. The team was always seeking high profile forwards when their defense could have used bolstering. How they treated Casillas was the nail in the coffin for me.

Now I mainly enjoy highlights on Youtube. Occasionally I’ll watch matches at a bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
with the way some of the Spanish clubs ran themselves into debt, it's doubtful this would even help them in the long term.

That said, both the establishment and the breakaway are amoral at best and immoral at worst. I may actually stop watching football (though none in the Bundesliga has yet to sign up for this).
Old 04-19-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Juventus has reportedly agreed to terms with Luis Suarez. Wonder if Giorgio C was consulted - haha.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 04-19-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Think this might tilt the table?

Ceferin confirmed that any players who played in the ESL would be banned from participating in future international tournaments, including the World Cup.

"The players who will play in teams that might play in the closed league will be banned from playing in World Cup and Euros," Ceferin said. "They could not represent national team in any matches."
Old 04-19-2021, 09:47 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Ceferin confirmed that any players who played in the ESL would be banned from participating in future international tournaments, including the World Cup.
I dunno, that smells like bluff. This one is heading to the lawyers.

The whole thing is complete and utter madness.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:37 PM

The current champions league is a bastardization of the old champions cup anyway. As soon as they moved away from just solely the champions from each of the leagues it became about the money and caving to the bigger leagues and teams became the norm. Sort of a reap what you sow.

This is not to say the big teams aren't acting like spoiled rich, drug addicts, they are. Just that in this case the drug is money. As a friend says "much wants more'

The whole thing stinks and it stinks that American owners seem to be driving the English teams and poor cash management seems to be driving the Spanish teams.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:14 AM

Wow, I never knew that. How would you say it compared to the current CL format?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar77 View Post
The current champions league is a bastardization of the old champions cup anyway. As soon as they moved away from just solely the champions from each of the leagues it became about the money and caving to the bigger leagues and teams became the norm. Sort of a reap what you sow.

This is not to say the big teams aren't acting like spoiled rich, drug addicts, they are. Just that in this case the drug is money. As a friend says "much wants more'

The whole thing stinks and it stinks that American owners seem to be driving the English teams and poor cash management seems to be driving the Spanish teams.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citycyclist247 View Post
Wow, I never knew that. How would you say it compared to the current CL format?
Prior to 1992 the Champions cup was a straight knockout competition where the only competitors were the reigning champions of each league. Every name went into a hat ( unseeded) and were drawn out and who you got, you got. Home and away aggregate score with the winner moving to the next round. Lose and you were out.

But of course that didn't guarantee enough revenue, because it didn't guarantee enough games, for the big clubs especially if the likes of a Man utd was drawn against a Juventus in round 1 - the loser was out of a chance to get more cash at the time.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:37 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citycyclist247 View Post
How would you say it compared to the current CL format?
The old European Cup was pretty stodgy. Comparatively few games, and very big mismatches until you got to the quarterfinals.

I can see how both the powers-that-be and fans wanted more European club competition, and the CL/EL have generally been successful in providing that, but at the cost of the Cupwinners' Cup, which had a special charm and integrity of its own.

(edit) I should add: The Champions League has diluted the format by allowing more teams in, but arguably elevated the prestige of the title because it has raised the level of competition to win it.

Last edited by goonster; 04-20-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:08 AM
Cranky!

UEFA are not the good guys, and their hypocrisy reeks to high heaven, but there is one inviolable principle: Multi-tiered national competition, with promotion and relegation, and merit-based qualification to European competition. Anything outside of that, I'm not interested in.

If Liverpool, et al, want to become creators of global sporting content that's fine, but they will no longer be football clubs rooted in the community.

That cord has already been stretched for a long time, but this would be a terminal rupture.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I dunno, that smells like bluff. This one is heading to the lawyers.

The whole thing is complete and utter madness.
Yup - CL got too big with too much money/greed. Got me yearning for the good ol' days. But can't put the genie back in now.

On a different note - Anyone feeling sorry for Jose?
Old 04-20-2021, 09:55 AM
Cranky!

Quote:
Anyone feeling sorry for Jose?
LOL, no.

Well, Jorge Mendes maybe . . .
Old 04-20-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Yup - CL got too big with too much money/greed. Got me yearning for the good ol' days. But can't put the genie back in now.

On a different note - Anyone feeling sorry for Jose?
Only in the sense that the news of his canning has to play second fiddle to something much more important.

Quote:
The old European Cup was pretty stodgy. Comparatively few games, and very big mismatches until you got to the quarterfinals.

I can see how both the powers-that-be and fans wanted more European club competition, and the CL/EL have generally been successful in providing that, but at the cost of the Cupwinners' Cup, which had a special charm and integrity of its own.

(edit) I should add: The Champions League has diluted the format by allowing more teams in, but arguably elevated the prestige of the title because it has raised the level of competition to win it.
Then again, I wouldn't mind seeing the likes of Steau Bucharesti and Red Star Belgrade go far into the competition. But you are right about the level of competition being higher.
Quote:
UEFA are not the good guys, and their hypocrisy reeks to high heaven, but there is one inviolable principle: Multi-tiered national competition, with promotion and relegation, and merit-based qualification to European competition. Anything outside of that, I'm not interested in.

If Liverpool, et al, want to become creators of global sporting content that's fine, but they will no longer be football clubs rooted in the community.

That cord has already been stretched for a long time, but this would be a terminal rupture.
Yes, pretty much this.