Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2024, 12:54 PM

Trailer hitches and bike racks

Looking at a new vehicle.

Several that we are looking at have factory trailer hitches, but specify that the vertical load on hitch cannot exceed 120 lbs and must be within 24 inches of the hitch.

We have a Kuat 2 bike rack with extension for two more. I'm not putting e bikes on the rack, but even three road bikes would not be allowed. We don't do this often, but that's pretty limiting.

It's hard to imagine that a trailer weighing 5000lbs (which is within spec) would not exert a force greater than 120lbs vertical on the hitch.

Are people concerned with this spec?

Jon
Old 02-19-2024, 01:03 PM

What size hitch and which model Kuat?

If it's 1 1/4", then three lighter bicycles and a lighter rack I probably wouldn't worry. If it's the full sized Kuat rack, my model like that with the +2 extension is HEAVY - like 80lbs+ before any bikes are added. I would not run that on 1 1/4".

I presume from the 5,000lb tow limit it's 1 1/2" which, in that case, no I would not worry if you overloaded that a tad.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:05 PM
Riding Along

I would not even blink at that. The rated tongue weight will have a safety factor that you would have a hard time approaching.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:17 PM

KUAT size

It’s the 2 inch Kuat.

Most that would ever go on it would be 4 cross country mtb. So 120 lbs if bike plus rack. And that would be short distance

But usually just 2 bikes.

Jon
Old 02-19-2024, 01:30 PM
Administrator

That should be fine.

To put it in perspective, many adults weigh >200#.

I dont think many people would bat an eye if a big guy stood on a trailer hitch ball to reach something on the roof. There is probably plenty of margin in that 120# number.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
That should be fine.

To put it in perspective, many adults weigh >200#.

I dont think many people would bat an eye if a big guy stood on a trailer hitch ball to reach something on the roof. There is probably plenty of margin in that 120# number.
120 lbs on the hitch under driving conditions generates larger forces than 200 lbs of static weight.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:56 PM

Does vertical load mean tongue weight? When I bought my Subaru nine years ago I did NOT get it with the OEM hitch (1 1/4") but instead drove from the dealer to a body shop to have an aftermarket 2" hitch installed (Ecohitch specifically for that vehicle that bolted to the body panels). This was to support a 2" Kuat with up to four bikes.

The aftermarket hitch has a 525 pound tongue weight but I think the OEM was only like 200 pounds. I believe a bike rack is basically all tongue weight as it doesn't have wheels the way a trailer would.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:57 PM

It's not the tongue weight that matters in this case, it the lever effect of a weight more than 24 inches beyond the hitch.

We have a hitch on our bike hauling SUV rated for 300 lbs tongue weight. And our 2" heavy duty 2 bike 1UP bike rack with 1 bike extension weighs 65-70 lbs, which extends out a bit, the max weight allowed on a bike rack on hitch is 150 lbs. So I limit my bike load to 2 road bikes and wife's E bike and put the heavy bike as close to rear of car I can.
Instructions that
Instructions that came with the hitch from the installer said for a bike rack to limit the load of the rack and bikes to 1/2 of rated tongue weight of the hitch.

Last edited by Ralph; 02-19-2024 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
120 lbs on the hitch under driving conditions generates larger forces than 200 lbs of static weight.
No one said the 200# dude was going to be static when he was standing on the hitch in my example.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:02 PM
n - 1

What specific vehicles are you looking at? I could see smaller CUV’s and wagons with less than robust subframes having a low rating. Despite the hitch class.

By the way, personal opinion. Having had plenty of experience driving around with the whale-tail 4-bike rack, I’d look hard at the vertical racks like Velocirax. Which doubles as bike storage when in the garage.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
I believe a bike rack is basically all tongue weight as it doesn't have wheels the way a trailer would.
Well...a 3,000 lb trailer might have a 500 lb tongue weight. While most of the weight of the trailer is on its wheels, there is a substantial amount on the hitch.

This is what keeps a 2 5/16" coupler from coming off a 2" ball while driving through the hills of upstate New York.

Not that I know anyone who would do that on purpose.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-19-2024, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
No one said the 200# dude was going to be static when he was standing on the hitch in my example.
Standing on a hitch is about as static as it gets.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:45 PM

Tongue weight limitations are not necessarily a factor of the vehicle's ability to hold weight, but also handling characteristics of how that weight will effect the steering and handling of the vehicle.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Standing on a hitch is about as static as it gets.
What are you getting at?
Old 02-19-2024, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
What are you getting at?
The ability of a hitch to support a 200 lb static load doesn't mean you can safely exceed the 120 lb rating, as the 120 lb rating takes into account higher dynamic loads encountered during driving.