Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2024, 10:36 AM

Is there an easier clip in pedal to engage than Look Keo?

I struggle at times to engage my Look Keo pedals. I inevitably find it upside down when I go to clip in and have to fuss with it. Any suggestions on a 3 bolt pedal that has an easier entry? Thanks
Old 08-26-2024, 10:38 AM

Speedplay is probably the easiest since they are dual sided.

Time pedals hang at a more consistent angle and have the lightest engagement of any pedal I've tried.
Old 08-26-2024, 10:39 AM
I need you cool.

Shimano Dura Ace SPD SL

I used Keos for awhile...clipping in was OK, but they had some creaks and squeaks that were annoying, so switched to the Shimano pedals...could not be happier with them.
Old 08-26-2024, 10:39 AM

Time for sure.

But also the easiest exit, which almost caused me to crash a few times. Some people make it work though...maybe they are more conscious about keeping their toes pointing the right way than I am.
Old 08-26-2024, 10:41 AM
cmg

I usethe older version of speedplay x2. The new ones have limited float. On the looks there's an adjustment screw where the spring is. Loosen it turning counterclockwise.
Old 08-26-2024, 10:52 AM
Administrator

LOOK makes a Keo "easy" to address this specifically I think...

Also, SPD pedals with the tension cranked way down are pretty easy in/out and are dual sided so you never have to flop them over.
Old 08-26-2024, 10:59 AM

I think TIME are easiest in and out.
Old 08-26-2024, 11:16 AM

Keywin pedals have a different engagement pattern - it mirrors the typical clip out sequence - but they are pretty easy to get into.

That ease of entry, though, doesn't mean that you can clip out super easily or accidentally. Their clip out is akin to the effort needed with most other systems.
Old 08-26-2024, 11:28 AM

I need to rename this post…I’m an idiot post

I’ve wanted to try Speedplay for a long time, but thought they were only 4 bolt. Just bought some and excited to try them.
Old 08-26-2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP View Post
I struggle at times to engage my Look Keo pedals. I inevitably find it upside down when I go to clip in and have to fuss with it. Any suggestions on a 3 bolt pedal that has an easier entry? Thanks
Look Keo is the cleat used with Favero Assioma pedals as well...I too find them truly awful to clip back into after a stoplight. Can confirm Dura Ace pedals are infinitely easier to clip into.
Old 08-26-2024, 11:53 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormansCay View Post
Look Keo is the cleat used with Favero Assioma pedals as well...I too find them truly awful to clip back into after a stoplight. Can confirm Dura Ace pedals are infinitely easier to clip into.
Used Speedplay for a number of years. Went to the M2 racer pedal and they did not last. Tried going back to Speedplay but they disagreed with me. Rode Time but the bearings and cleats wore out fast. Tried Look Keo ti pedals and they were a Pita to engage. Always had to flip the pedal to engage. Have Dura Ace 9100 on two bikes and love them and most of the time the pedals flip for easy engagement. I also have Garmin Rally RS 200 power pedals on my main road bike and they work just as well as the Dura Ace.
Old 08-26-2024, 12:00 PM

I have used Look forever. The clip in is inconsistent but tolerable for me.
Sometimes I get it on the first try, other times not.
I tried Shimano once and did not like them because they did not have the same float feeling as Keo.
Old 08-26-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I have used Look forever. The clip in is inconsistent but tolerable for me.
Sometimes I get it on the first try, other times not.
I tried Shimano once and did not like them because they did not have the same float feeling as Keo.
Try the blue Shimano cleat. Not only does it have a bit less float but provides a different feel. The yellow ones would sometimes exhibit a strange slipping sensation the blue ones corrected... for me anyway.

Per Shimano:
By placing the pivot point at the front, lateral sliding movement is eliminated. But these cleats still permit a small amount of angle change from the pivot point back towards the heel so that your foot is not completely locked in place.

Tim
Old 08-26-2024, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP View Post
I've always wondered if putting small, stick on lead weight (like for balancing a car wheel) on the 'heel' end of the pedal would solve this and force them to hang that way. I find the same thing happening as the pedals get a lot of miles on them.
Old 08-26-2024, 05:58 PM

The problem that I observe with KEO pedals is that the shoe/cleat snags somehow as my foot is moving forward, but before the actual snag of cleat engagement has begun.

Forcing my shoe/cleat forward from that point only causes the pedal to rotate forward under my foot.

There is this narrow range of exact cleat placement ahead of the snag point but still behind the catch point of the actual cleat/pedal engagement, and which makes clipping in a very annoyingly inconsistent experience.

I was left completely behind off of the starting line on one criterium's uphill start, I couldn't believe that it was as bad as it was and the extra motivation seemed only to make things worse.

No such issues using SPD-SL pedals, though I have experienced this exact same problem using Tai/Chi clones of 2-sided SPD pedals.

Last edited by dddd; 08-29-2024 at 01:23 AM.