Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2024, 08:37 PM

Seven Red Sky Pro

Seven brought this model to bike shop event. Very nice looking, I wasn't familiar with it. Ti and carbon. More photos of the Ti lugs: https://sevencycles.com/bikes/redsky-pro.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240222_212941_Gallery.jpg (70.9 KB, 794 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20240222_212951_Gallery.jpg (74.5 KB, 791 views)
Old 02-22-2024, 09:16 PM

If I recall, it's a mid-reach bike, isn't it? The Pro must be the carbon part. Seemed cool when I was looking for more tire clearance on my bike.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:17 AM

I don’t like the paint personally, but the bike itself looks amazing. I would right that !
Old 02-23-2024, 01:40 AM

I love me bikes black......Color a no no to me
But bike is great
Old 02-23-2024, 03:13 AM

Nice bike, and surprisingly, I like the paint scheme. It's kind of flashy without all the bling.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:02 AM

Kinda surprised they photographed with 28s with all that empty space at the caliper.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:53 AM

Interesting bike which seems to be built around their proprietary mid-reach “Seven PureRoad” carbon fork. Axle-to-crown length is 389mm so the fork isn’t really replaceable with anything else on the market. Personally I’ve never broken a fork, but still….I guess you have to hope that Seven keeps these in supply.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:50 PM

I believe that is Patria Lanfranchi's personal bike. She runs the Ride Headquarters mobile bike shop and is married to Rob Vandermark. I love my all raw Ti Redsky SL, but I must admit, I have mild worries about fork supply if I need to replace in the future. I suppose if Seven stops making the fork, I could commission a custom steel replacement.

David
Old 02-23-2024, 02:48 PM

I have read this before regarding the Seven PureRoad medium reach fork. Does anyone know for sure that the A-C is 389mm on that fork no matter the rake? They offer offsets from 39-61mm which would produce a HTA 0.5d different if a 39mm offset was swapped for a 61mm offset. I would expect the A-C to be such that it puts the brake track at the appropriate place for a given offset.

If we assume each has the same A-C (I don't) then if you replaced your Seven PureRoad medium reach fork with 51mm offset and 389mm A-C on a bike which as a 73d HTA with the Seven fork, for the Whisky Rd. No. 7 medium reach then the resulting HTA would be 73.65d.

TL;DR: I suspect the 389mm A-C listed is for the 61mm offset version of the Seven fork.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:53 PM

does anyone know if you can buy this fork from Seven? I had heard mumblings that forks were only being sold with new frames. Potentially that's also expanded to customers of new frames should they need a replacement?
Old 04-01-2024, 04:03 PM

their fork section doesn't show a straight steerer fork option anymore

they have a tapered mid reach fork
just ask them if they have some left overs, but probably for original customers I guess, warranty, crash replacements whtvr
Old 04-02-2024, 05:54 AM

Also not a fan of the painted ti and carbon but given the model name of the bike I bet it looks amazing in person. Seven has great attention to detail.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in Maine View Post
I believe that is Patria Lanfranchi's personal bike. She runs the Ride Headquarters mobile bike shop and is married to Rob Vandermark. I love my all raw Ti Redsky SL, but I must admit, I have mild worries about fork supply if I need to replace in the future. I suppose if Seven stops making the fork, I could commission a custom steel replacement.

David
Yes, that is Patria Lanfranchi-Vandermark's bike. She rides the heck out of that thing and changes wheels/tire all the time.

I saw the bike when new circa 2017/2018 while I was living in the Boston area. It was a "proof of concept" and launch of the new model name. All the mid-reach brake option bikes were previously built under other model lines (i.e. Axiom, Axiom SL).

I was irritated at the time because I ordered my Axiom SL Mid-Reach bike from RSC/RHQ and 2 weeks later they announce RedSky and Patria shows the bike. The only differences as far as I remember are the name and the rear fender mounts are in different places: My Axiom SL Mid-Reach has them on the rear drops and the RedSky has them hidden on the inside of the lower seat tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackus View Post
does anyone know if you can buy this fork from Seven? I had heard mumblings that forks were only being sold with new frames. Potentially that's also expanded to customers of new frames should they need a replacement?
As for the fork, I bought an extra and keep it in a box. They tried to talk me out of it by stating they can always replace the headtube and use the new tapered forks but I ride a 53cm and wanted the older style straight fork because it is not as harsh on smaller frames.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 04-02-2024 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:55 AM

I don't think I've ever seen a Red Sky out on the road in the last 5-6 years.

These were very intriguing when they were announced. I think all these years later it has become a bike targeted at us oldsters as people in their 20s especially now think rim brakes are hopelessly out of date.

Are people saying this particular bike has been around for a long time?

I used to go to RSC a lot, I don't think this exact bike is very old, I went on plenty of rides she was on or was leading and never saw it, and you never went on a ride she was on without a presentation at some point on whatever new Seven bike she had that day.

I would want to try one before buying not because of anything like the frame and fork but I'd just to try the brakes.

I kind of suspect if I do go back and buy one it would be an Evergreen though. When I was looking at getting a Seven I was very much in the "get another rim brake mode" but at this point 8 years later I'm much more of the mindset of some kind of all-around do everything bike with discs.

I kind of feel like they sucked the life out of my area when they closed RSC. I don't think I realized just how many of the people out on the road were on their rides, I have been riding a lot this year and I am seeing so few cyclists in the area. It feels like 2000 again. I really miss their sunday morning mixed terrain ride.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a Red Sky out on the road in the last 5-6 years.

These were very intriguing when they were announced. I think all these years later it has become a bike targeted at us oldsters as people in their 20s especially now think rim brakes are hopelessly out of date.

Are people saying this particular bike has been around for a long time?

I used to go to RSC a lot, I don't think this exact bike is very old, I went on plenty of rides she was on or was leading and never saw it, and you never went on a ride she was on without a presentation at some point on whatever new Seven bike she had that day.

I would want to try one before buying not because of anything like the frame and fork but I'd just to try the brakes.

I kind of suspect if I do go back and buy one it would be an Evergreen though. When I was looking at getting a Seven I was very much in the "get another rim brake mode" but at this point 8 years later I'm much more of the mindset of some kind of all-around do everything bike with discs.

As mentioned in my earlier post, if I remember correctly the "Red Sky" line was launched in 2017/2018 (or maybe 2016/2017) and Patria's bike was the first built under that model name but Seven has been making mid-reach brake frames/bikes for a very long time.

My Seven Axiom SL Mid-Reach (pre-cursor to the RedSky) is a fantastic N=1 bike. It does many things well (road, light gravel, wet weather with fenders) and is exactly what I wanted as an urban apartment dweller (low maintenance rim brakes) who rides mostly on the road. It wears Conti 5000 32mm "almost" all of the time.

I think that even if I had more dedicated bikes (MTB, Gravel, Road Race, etc.) I would still have something like this wearing fenders all the time.

As for brakes, I have heard the Grand Cru are very nice but they are too industrial looking for me so I went with the TRP RG-957 which have been great. At some point I might upgrade the pads but the stock ones have been more than fine. They work as well as any 105/Ultegra/Dura-Ace 10/11 speed brake calipers.

I purchased mine from RSC while living in the Boston area for a few years. I tried a Disc Evergreen which was really nice but seemed a bit "slower" than a road bike. I knew we would be moving back to NYC at some point and I would do more road riding so I got the Axiom SL Mid-Reach brake instead of an Evergreen. I was trying to fill a niche need: 1 bedroom apartment dweller (with my wife), low maintenance bike, N=1, mostly road riding, 32mm is perfect (though 35mm fit without fenders if I want).

Last edited by NYCfixie; 04-02-2024 at 09:58 AM.