Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2024, 05:49 PM

Long-term detriment from smart trainer?

Since 2021, I have put a lot more miles on my Wahoo trainer, than I have on the road. I've had magnetic trainers before, but never used them for this length of time.

I'm sure I'm just being paranoid, but I only have one running road bike at present and it's an older Serotta Colorado III. I'm curious if anyone has any insight as to whether I should be checking anything on the frame/componentry as a result of long-term trainer usage.

I do try to keep the tubes and apparatus clean generally. I just want to make sure I'm not doing any damage to my beloved bike. Thanks all.
Old 08-23-2024, 05:59 PM

I thought about this today after an hour on the trainer. My only concern would be the headset bearings. A strong rider who does lots of sprints and intervals might put a lot of stress on the rear dropouts, especially if they are inserts and glued in on a carbon frame.
Old 08-23-2024, 06:02 PM

Check under the bar tape also. You don't want that getting all salty and then that helping to corrode the aluminum.
Old 08-23-2024, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbikerider View Post
I thought about this today after an hour on the trainer. My only concern would be the headset bearings. A strong rider who does lots of sprints and intervals might put a lot of stress on the rear dropouts, especially if they are inserts and glued in on a carbon frame.
I had this issue, on a dumb roller used primarily during the coldest days of winter.

---------------------------

But even more so, i'd argue that the parts that could take a potential beating are the biomechanical ones. One of my knees developed a serious issue due to constant trainer usage (only ~5 hrs/week). A move back to my old haunts now allows me to ride almost exclusively outdoors, and the pain is gone.

And the cause of that pain? About 2 mm difference in cleat position.
Old 08-23-2024, 06:32 PM

Thank you all, I'm glad I asked.

I do try to be conscientious about the bars, having worked in a shop years ago, I remember mechanics removing tape that had basically worn a salty rust zebra pattern into them.
Old 08-24-2024, 07:26 AM

I have a 20+ year old aluminum TT bike (Teschner) that I now use exclusively on my Wahoo Kickr. It developed a crack at the top of the seat tube but it has a limited seat post insertion due to an aero shaped tube. I drilled a hole at the end of the crack and it’s fine for trainer use but I won’t use it on the road again.
Old 08-24-2024, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I have a 20+ year old aluminum TT bike (Teschner) that I now use exclusively on my Wahoo Kickr. It developed a crack at the top of the seat tube but it has a limited seat post insertion due to an aero shaped tube. I drilled a hole at the end of the crack and it’s fine for trainer use but I won’t use it on the road again.
I have been pondering whether I want a dedicated trainer bike, but I do already feel like I have too many now, and at least two are sentimental given I've had one for 25 years. That said, I'm on the fence about whether to buy a cheap beater for the trainer and safe myself the heartache of some unforeseen catastrophe befalling my beloved road bike as a result of repetitive indoor use.
Old 08-24-2024, 11:25 PM

I leave a $100 Lemond on my kickr core and only rode in ERG mode. I love never having to change the bike or worry if something happens to it. Maintenance is also much cheaper.
Old 08-24-2024, 11:34 PM

I've been spending a lot more time riding indoors due to current life situation and time limitations... hopefully should be better in a couple of weeks!

I ride with a bandana/headband and keep a towel nearby to wipe my face etc so I don't drip all over the headset and the bars as others have said. It might be a good reminder to take things apart a couple of times a season to regrease the headset and check on things to make sure it's not being weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdm View Post
I leave a $100 Lemond on my kickr core and only rode in ERG mode. I love never having to change the bike or worry if something happens to it. Maintenance is also much cheaper.
Do you have it set up as a singlespeed as well?
This would be ideal for me but i start getting weird achilles issues when I ride the trainer on erg mode too often so I mostly only do it for ramp tests these days.
Old 08-24-2024, 11:58 PM

the typical detriment of smart trainer or any trainer usage of more than 1 hour involves a strong desire to stick a hot fork in one's eye, so there's that.
Old 08-25-2024, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetchPro View Post
I have been pondering whether I want a dedicated trainer bike.
If this makes you feel any better, the dedicated trainer bike is not considered in the N+1 calculation.

I built a dedicated trainer bike many years ago, from a Cannondale (Trek? can't remember...) and spare parts. It's so much easier to have something on the trainer that never has to be moved, so much nicer not to worry about trashing good equipment with the torque and sweat.

Since it's set up on a Tacx trainer, it has no brakes, no wheels (front fork is stuck in a home-made fork stand.) So it's actually not even much of a bike...

Just do it.
HotTubes
LiteSpeeds
SpeshFat
Old 08-25-2024, 06:46 AM

Just a reminder, if you don't already, I highly suggest using a sweat guard.
Something like this https://saris.com/products/sweat-guard
Other brands make them as well.
Old 08-25-2024, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Do you have it set up as a singlespeed as well?
This would be ideal for me but i start getting weird achilles issues when I ride the trainer on erg mode too often so I mostly only do it for ramp tests these days.
No. I left the OEM drivetrain alone and bought a new chain. Every few sessions, I’ll change to a different gear to somewhat even out cassette and chainring wear.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
the typical detriment of smart trainer or any trainer usage of more than 1 hour involves a strong desire to stick a hot fork in one's eye, so there's that.
Yeah, I'm relegated to a hot, odoriferous garage, so this is severely compounded.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
Just a reminder, if you don't already, I highly suggest using a sweat guard.
Something like this https://saris.com/products/sweat-guard
Other brands make them as well.
I think I've been putting off investing in one hoping I was going to put in more miles outside, but thank you for recommending this, I think i just needed someone to push me.