Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Octalink V1 - was/is this a decent BB system?

i mean - shimano went to octalink V2, so V1 must have had some issues?

anyway, i have a crankset i'd like to repurpose from a triple to a wide compact double and it's octalink V1 interface. current BB is roasted.

buy a new BB and go, or skip it and use a ST bb/crank?
Old 05-21-2018, 06:57 PM

they work great
Old 05-21-2018, 06:57 PM
You still here?

IIRC the V2 Octalink BB was for MTBs. V1 was for road.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:58 PM
mentholated

i thought v1=road and v2=mtb.
not that it was a redesigned or updated model or whatever.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Administrator

ahh, i didnt know that about road/mtb, thanks for the clarification.

OK, i'm ordering a new BB, thanks team!
Old 05-21-2018, 07:14 PM

V1 has narrower splines, and as mentioned was used for road but also and XTR. Mountain/V2 had wider splines and was used for XT and below.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:17 PM

It got a bad reputation in some quarters for stripping, but that's only because you had to match the splines and then pull them together. People wouldn't match them properly, would tighten the crank arm bolts until the splines butted hard against each other, and they thought they had done it. They hadn't. The crank splines would bump off the opposing splines and everything would loosen up and spin. It wasn't hard to strip splines if you only engaged them a couple millimeters instead of the full 12 mm or so. Do it right and it's an incredibly durable and reliable system. It's also held up as one of the most rigid crank systems around.

When you get bottom brackets, try to get the Ultegra BB-6500. That one was utterly indestructible. The next best is the currently available Dura Ace track bottom bracket, the 7710. It's basically the same as the 6500 in a steel casing. There's a 105 version that Shimano still makes as a replacement item, but while it's durable it isn't all that great. The DA-7700 bottom bracket for road Dura Ace is the one that Shimano's own mechanics think is their best bottom bracket ever. It uses annual and needle bearings to give a wonderful low-friction ride, but it's susceptible to dirt and needs to be serviced very frequently. And over time, the plastic housing for the needle bearings gradually wears and the bearings tend to fall out, making servicing a pain. If you can replace it every year or so and service it every month, it's a great product. I'd go with the 6500 or 7710 instead.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:19 PM

they are harder to find, especially the xtr ones, the road units are a little easier to find. I like the original loose ball units but most prefer the sealed bearing ones. I believe you can still get them new because the dura ace track cranks take the 109.5mm spindle units that the regular road units used.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:27 PM
Administrator

i need the 118.5 spindle length, which i think means i'm working with the 105 level stuff if i dont want to spend hours on ebay...
Old 05-21-2018, 07:29 PM

118.5 was for triples, 109.5 was for double. There were Ultegra and DA triple BBs, but if buying new and not scouring ebay 105 is good 'nuff.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:30 PM

The best bike mechanic I know is also the owner of a fine LBS. He often recommended using the Ultegra V-1 BB rather than the Dura Ace even when selling/installing a whole DA Group because the Ultegra is a sealed unit that needs no maintenance whereas the DA is loose ball bearings that should be serviced from time to time. I think the Ultegra may have slightly more friction due to more complete sealing so the DA might be better for racers. I think 25,000 trouble-free miles is common with the V-1 Ultegra BB.

The Octalink system eliminates wear caused by mounting and removing a crank that can happen over time with square-taper designs. OTOH I never had a problem with either design so maybe it's an answer to a question I never asked. :-)

I have 2 bikes left and 1 has v-1 Ultegra triple and the other has V-2 crank/BB.

I guess I should sell my Ritchie 50-34 cranks and the matching V-1 BB that I used on my Hampsten.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:38 PM

I've had DA 7700 cranks and BB installed for about a month on my road bike. I really like it, it's incredibly smooth, light, and stiff.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:58 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Octalink V1 is awesome. I've had one that's been through all sorts of muck and it just keeps rolling.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:03 PM

Great BB. Used them for decades. Finally upgraded to 7900/9000 cranks and went with the newer BBs, but Octalinks were fantastic and lasted forerver.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 PM
Steel..what else??

I still use them.