Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 10:32 AM

SPD pedals with the most float

For years I have been using Sidi ergo shoes with older look pedals (A3 and red delta cleats).

I recently purchased Sidi Dragons (for ease of walking) and shimano spd A600 pedals. After yesterdays ride my right knee sounded like I was the tin man - it creaked and cracked loudly for awhile. This is the first time that has ever happened, to that degree.

While on the bike it seemed as though my range of motion was limited and I required more float.

Any thoughts, recommendations or suggestions for pedals with additional float?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Speedplay Frog.

I have them on my four road bikes and the tandem...I wouldn't consider anything else. All the float you will ever want, simple two-sided design that is easy to get in and out of, easy to walk in.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:01 AM

You may just need to play with the setup of your cleats on the shoes to find the best position for the cleat. They have 4* of float, compared to 6*? on the delta so not a huge difference.

If that doesn't help Speedplay Frogs probably have the most float. I had issues clipping out of my Frogs when mountain biking at times due to my size 14 shoes and toe hitting the crankarm depending on where in the pedal stroke I clipped out (also had to do with needing to clip out due to my lack of technical skills on the trails). I moved to Time ATAC and have been happy with the float, and release for years. I use Speedplay X2 on all my road bikes with keep-on covers, and Time Atac on my mountain bike, or when, I plan on doing more walking with a road ride I'll toss them on. I do notice the cleat through the shoe more on the Time on the road, but that is likely due to a fairly flexible shoe.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:03 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
Speedplay Frog.

I see my work here is already done.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:38 PM

If we are talking about Shimano SPD mtn. pedals there are 2 types of cleats. One has some float and the other doesn't and they both work fine in the same pedal. Wellgo makes some near-clones that work fine also.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:23 PM

Similar issue, ended up happy on time ATACs.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
Speedplay Frog.

I have them on my four road bikes and the tandem...I wouldn't consider anything else. All the float you will ever want, simple two-sided design that is easy to get in and out of, easy to walk in.
Thanks all - so speedplay frog seems to be the consensus vote. I had looked at them awhile back but wasnt sure about how secure they were, once engaged - any problems pulling out of them?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:53 AM

You want Time ATACs.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Thanks all - so speedplay frog seems to be the consensus vote. I had looked at them awhile back but wasnt sure about how secure they were, once engaged - any problems pulling out of them?
Every time I try another pedal I end up back on Frogs, road and mountain. You won't pull out of them until the cleats wear out. On the road that's a pretty long time. Another story on the mountain bike.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:22 PM

Another option is crank brothers- candys or eggbeaters. Not a lot of love in here for them from some people, but the float is much better than Shimano- I like them for both road and MTB, and it's what I suggest for nervous people learning to use clipless pedals for the first time as they are easy to clip in and out of, but still very secure if the cleats aren't too worn- they are brass so they don't last as long as Shimano steel cleats.. I have no experience with Speedplays for offroad, but I do know I end up waiting for friends who need to clean out their SP cleats if they've walked through a little sticky mud.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
...any problems pulling out of them?
I was hit by a car once while using Frogs; the car pulled out in front of me and I had nowhere to go. The only choice I had was what part of the car to hit, so I picked the front wheel and put the bike into a sideways skid so I didn't hit head-on. I was able to get my right foot disengaged, but the left left was trapped when I hit the front quarter panel. The cleat stayed attached to the pedal and I ripped the sole off of my Shimano shoes.

So, in my experience, they stay engaged. I am not, by the way, recommending this test. I lost a frame and a pair of shoes...not to mention a left Frog cleat that ended up somewhere on the side of the road.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:28 PM
Byron

Another Frog lover.
Very easy entry and exit.
Plays well with knees.
Easy grease port for maintenance.
Was on Speedplay road version for years, but the last 10 or so on Frogs.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
You want Time ATACs.
Flash maybe right. I ride with them and like them very much. Guys who like their SPDs complain that the ATACs have too much float. They are similar enough in action IMO. So they might be the ticket.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:04 PM

Yep. Good consistent message here.

Frogs on every bike I clip into.

That said, the Time ATAC recommends are probably good as I have a friend I trust who swears by them for mountain biking as they clear mud really well.