Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 11:30 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
I don’t know if I would ride it. I would take into account if you’re easy on equipment, condition of the roads you ride on, etc.

If you do use it, I would use it on the rear tire. Using it on the front and it goes could be catastrophic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
its on the rear. I definitely need to use it this week since I am not home where I have some spares. If it was bulging though I would go to a shop and buy a new tire but seems like it can handle a few week rides.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:59 AM

I can't stand riding on tires that are suspect. I'd boot it to ride as far as necessary to replace it but I wouldn't start a ride with it. Heck, if so many people have had similar failures with these tires why buy any more of them?

I see the defect in the sidewall but it looks like there is a scallop taken from the tread as well.

The only time I had this kind of sidewall failure was when using a Hollywood rack I let a bike wheel get too close to the exhaust pipe of my car and it burned through the tire and tube. We were a long way up Sunrise Highway for a mtn. bike ride so I used a $20 bill as a boot, put in a new tube and away we went. I wasn't very worried about it failing because I was introducing my wife-to-be to mtn. biking and knew we wouldn't be going much faster than 10 mph on single track. It worked fine for the day.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
its on the rear. I definitely need to use it this week since I am not home where I have some spares. If it was bulging though I would go to a shop and buy a new tire but seems like it can handle a few week rides.
Keep it on the rear, patch up the inside and outside, then replace once you're back home. Short term it should make it, but long term a new tire's a lot cheaper than an ER visit
Old 05-21-2018, 12:40 PM
That guy..

Happened to my compass tire. They had 80 kms on it.

I patched it from the inside. I should have sewed it and then patched...but was lazy.

Its been like this for over a year now. Gravel riding. No issues.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I can't stand riding on tires that are suspect. I'd boot it to ride as far as necessary to replace it but I wouldn't start a ride with it. Heck, if so many people have had similar failures with these tires why buy any more of them?

I see the defect in the sidewall but it looks like there is a scallop taken from the tread as well.

The only time I had this kind of sidewall failure was when using a Hollywood rack I let a bike wheel get too close to the exhaust pipe of my car and it burned through the tire and tube. We were a long way up Sunrise Highway for a mtn. bike ride so I used a $20 bill as a boot, put in a new tube and away we went. I wasn't very worried about it failing because I was introducing my wife-to-be to mtn. biking and knew we wouldn't be going much faster than 10 mph on single track. It worked fine for the day.
I feel the exact same way! After sidewall issues with Michelin tires, I went to the Continental GP line and never had an issue.

If it were me, I’d toss it and try a different company.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:57 PM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
I feel the exact same way! After sidewall issues with Michelin tires, I went to the Continental GP line and never had an issue.

If it were me, I’d toss it and try a different company.
I dont think that is a tire issue as much as a debris issue. I am not sure I would blame. Veloflex
Old 05-21-2018, 12:58 PM

I'd toss it in a heartbeat. I value my teeth and very happily sacrifice ride quality for a tough tire.....Gatorskins, Schwalbe and the like. Plus I hate flats.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:21 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
I dont think that is a tire issue as much as a debris issue. I am not sure I would blame. Veloflex
they are just too damn fragile. Everytime it rains or rained the day before I get a flat... Now this. They do ride well don't get me wrong but they are made out of butter.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodcad View Post
I'd toss it in a heartbeat. I value my teeth and very happily sacrifice ride quality for a tough tire.....Gatorskins
Oooof, you lost me at "Gatorskins".
Old 05-21-2018, 01:30 PM

use a dollar bill behind the hole on the inside.. glue it up to the hole...fold the dollar in half and then half again.

Ride it and forget it. I have used this trick to ride over 100 miles in one day over mixed terrain... I had no glue, so I know glue would make it so much better.

Stephen
Old 05-21-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
they are just too damn fragile. Everytime it rains or rained the day before I get a flat... Now this. They do ride well don't get me wrong but they are made out of butter.
I think you hit the nail on the head. You have to find a compromise between a supple ride and a tire that is too soft. I’m pretty picky and yeah, I miss the ride of the Michelin’s, but after too many flats and sidewalk issues I changed to Conti’s and never looked back. Do I get flats? Sure. But not even close to the amount I used to get. And never had a sidewall issue in many thousands of miles of riding.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:00 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have been super lucky with my corsa g+. They really been stellar but a lot of people have had problems on them (similar to this).

I would go conti or even a michelin SC4 but the problem is that this bike will take max 25 in the back and because I have 23mm rims that means a 23mm tire and a lot of tires out there stretch out to more than 25.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:41 PM

My uneducated opinion: Softer tread compounds stick better, wear faster, ride softer (maybe) but the sticky rubber picks up more debris and keeps it around long enough to make a puncture whereas a harder compound might not have picked the stuff up at all.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:30 PM

My take: don't take the risk over the longer term.

looks like you hit a fair sized rock and that would take a bite out of any sidewall. I've seen Vittoria, Michelin and Conti's with the rubber sidewall gouged out.

Veloflex are sublime tyres, the very best. IMHO the inflation pressure is paramount, or critical, and to use lower pressures is to invite problems. Can I ask what pressure the tyre was operated at and the rider weight?
Old 05-21-2018, 07:36 PM
commuter racer

gaffer tape