Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2018, 07:53 AM

Shipping my bike across country--Advice Please!

Need some advice or perspective here--

I'm taking a bike trip out west this summer. I live on the east coast.

I want to ship my bike out via bike flights and have my LBS pack the bike. For a bunch of reasons I'm not interested in buying a hardshell case (mostly I have no place to store such) so I"ll probably have the shop pack in a used cardboard bike box. I don't have a "travel" bike per se. I would ship a full size bike.

I have a very nice ti Serotta, my main ride, which I would prefer to ship. I could also ship a steel touring bike, not as nice a bike, heavier, will not be as fun to ride on the tour.

How worried would you be about shipping your nice bike and having the LBS pack in a used bike box? Is this a real worry, or is it pretty unlikely to be damaged? I'm struggling with whether to send my nice bike, which I will enjoy much more, or send my "backup" bike instead, on the theory that if its damaged or lost I wouldn't care.

Any perspective here would help! Not sure if I'm worrying about shipping my bike too much, or not enough!!
Old 05-19-2018, 08:12 AM

Check with Bikeflights. They have their own boxes, which you can buy, and they are nice. Shipping one way is somewhere around $75, but they may have a "deal" for return shipping.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:29 AM

Man up and ride that Serotta cross country.....or use Bikeflights. If packed well it should be fine.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:32 AM

I shipped a bike back East (Albany, NY) from La Jolla, CA. in March. First experience with BikeFlights. Had a local shop pack it and arrange with BikeFlights. It was about $45 to pack the bike. The shops should have plenty of boxes. They did it right in bubble wrap and disassembling what needed it, but I (a poor mechanic) was able to reassemble on my end. Total cost was about $140. A more expensive bike shop in La Jolla wanted $85 to pack it.

If your LBS has a good condition box that they've recently received a new bike in, I don't see where purchasing your own box adds anything.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:35 AM
Two wheels good

Two weeks ago I borrowed a very nice Evoc travel case, packed it carefully and took it on Southwest for a cross-country flight. It was $75 each way. I watched everyone gently handle and saw it go into the jet a couple of the airports. It arrived in CA and worked great but when I came home and went to pick it up from the Oversized luggage claim at BWI I could hear case after case being slammed around behind pick up area. It would have been comical if I didn't have a bike back there. Anyway, they "modified" the rear derailleur and the hanger. It was nothing I couldn't fix but it left me with three takeaways: 1) I'm glad I didn't bring my favorite bike which doesn't have a replaceable derailleur hanger. 2) Next time I'm going to take off the RD and swing it around, out of the way. 3) I might try BikeFlights next time.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:37 AM
aka RAEKWON

I have shipped my bike from NY to Portland and back via bikeflights. Cardboard box is great. Just make sure you trust the bike shop and all will go well. You don't need a hard box, most bikes are transported in cardboard boxes.

Make sure you insurance it, thats the most important thing but I would send the bike I like to ride, ride it, enjoy it and if it does get lost or broken thats what insurance is for (it will probably be fine though)

You could also pack it yourself. Sure its a lot more work but you then know for sure its packed well... just buy pipe insulation tubes and packed it very well. I have done it multiple times and bikes have always arrived pristine.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:57 AM

Any chance you're heading into the LA area with this?

Your two options are bikeflights or checked baggage. If you fly on Alaska you can check the bike for just $25, they waive oversize fee for bikes. Worked great for me in the past. Still get it packed however you would pack it to ship via bikeflights.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:09 AM

I’ve shipped close to 100 bikes through bikeflights in old bike boxes from my lbs. I have only had 1 frameset get damaged and it was just a bent seat lug, so no structural damage.

You will more than likely have no problem whatsoever, but pay the extra few bucks to insure whichever bike you choose to bring along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2018, 10:21 AM

When traveling with a bike, keep in mind that if your bike is lost or damaged on a flight, you will get virtually nothing from the airline. Also, the TSA reserves the right to open any box, unpack everything, examine it, and then repack. They may not repack it the way it was originally packed.

When you ship a bike via Fedex or bikeflights, you can insure the bike for its full value. I used an Iron Case to ship a bike a couple of dozen times...mostly back when shipping was cheaper and the Iron Case didn't get flagged for being oversize.

Never had an issue...except once when the fedex tag came off in transit. Fortunately, I had written my contact information on the box itself. Fedex called me, asked for the original tracking number, and stuck a new label on the box. After that, I stuck a label on the box and a separate one in one of their heavy plastic label holders that attach via loop.

Oh, and last time I shipped a bike, I thought I could do it cheaper myself. I picked up a box from a LBS and sent it via fedex. Turns out that many bike boxes are considered oversize and Fedex charged me $180 for a one way from FL to CA. While I was able to talk them down, next time I'll have the LBS pack and ship via bikeflights.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-19-2018, 10:26 AM

Rapid, as an alternative, Potomac Pedalers (if you are a member) has an Iron Case you can rent.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:33 AM

why pay the bike shop for something so remedial as packing a box? you just wrap the bike frame up in bubble tape or foam, be sure to pay special attention to pressure points and sharp things, fill the box with as much light stuff as you can to keep things from banging around, and ship it via bike flights. its really very easy and there is little risk associated.

how do you think we all satisfy our bike lust here? these bikes dont all magically show up and we aren't all driving cross country, we are putting them in boxes and using bike flights!

Old 05-19-2018, 10:41 AM
UN-Registered® User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Tourist View Post
I want to ship my bike out via bike flights and have my LBS pack the bike. For a bunch of reasons I'm not interested in buying a hardshell case...
Don't need to buy a case. Most bike shops will rent you a hard case for not too much and it's the best protection you can get. One of our shops rents a Serfas case for $50 for 3 weeks.

I have shipped my bikes on a case to a FedEx/UPS Store near where I will be staying and I pick it up from there. Obviously, shipping a bike means down riding time if you only have one bike.

On the return, I do the same. If there are flight delays or whatever, you bike will be safe at a FedEx place.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkelly View Post
I shipped a bike back East (Albany, NY) from La Jolla, CA. in March. First experience with BikeFlights. Had a local shop pack it and arrange with BikeFlights. It was about $45 to pack the bike. The shops should have plenty of boxes. They did it right in bubble wrap and disassembling what needed it, but I (a poor mechanic) was able to reassemble on my end. Total cost was about $140. A more expensive bike shop in La Jolla wanted $85 to pack it.

If your LBS has a good condition box that they've recently received a new bike in, I don't see where purchasing your own box adds anything.
What shop did the packing? People frequently ask me about packing/shipping from La Jolla/San Diego so I'd like to know where to send them.

Last edited by Ken Robb; 05-19-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
why pay the bike shop for something so remedial as packing a box? you just wrap the bike frame up in bubble tape or foam
When I did that, the big orange bill for tape, bubble wrap, etc, came to almost $30.

Oh, and when I asked for pipe insulation, I got a funny look. They didn't stock it at this location (south Florida)! So I bought more bubble wrap...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-19-2018, 01:25 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post

Oh, and when I asked for pipe insulation, I got a funny look. They didn't stock it at this location (south Florida)! So I bought more bubble wrap...
OT, but I once received a frame wrapped in multiple layers of USPS free padded envelopes. I cursed the seller (not on this forum) for not only stealing from me, a taxpayer, but making the frame very hard to unwrap. Yes, he used the self seal feature. There must have been at least 50 envelopes used. Try removing them without damaging the paint when wrapped tightly around a frame.