Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2018, 01:23 PM

I would be appalled if custom builder's agreed to build every which way and had no opinions on how some things should be done. That kind of ambivalence to design is what Chinese weld shops are for.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:26 PM
Yours truly

If one builder does not offer what you want then go to another one, as life is too short not to get what you want with your money. With that said, some builders are more flexible to work with than others so you just have to shop around for more options. Erik Rolf from Alliance was very flexible to work with when I had him work on some of my projects (I am as picky as it gets) a while back, as he would do things that some of his builder friends would not do. Not only that, I would rate Erik a top-notch Ti builder, as I would bet him against some of the well known names in the business. Unlike some others so called "custom" builders, Erik would come as close to a true custom builder in my book.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:28 PM

I'm talking TITANIUM here. If the seat tube OD for most builders is 34.9 and a 31.6 seat post option is only available for a select few, what is the limiting factor of the other builders who only offer 27.2? Are they using a tubing with thicker walls or something? Do they not want to use tubing that'd allow for a 31.6 seat post? If so, why not? Just wondering why some can and some can't.
I remember asking SEVEN why they didn't have internal rear brake cable routing as an option. "We don't think it has any practical advantage" was their answer, pretty much. Others have said, "We think the holes create unnecessary stress risers", which seems like a cop out. Also, I see MOOTS now offers it...they didn't before.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 05-18-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
I would be appalled if custom builder's agreed to build every which way and had no opinions on how some things should be done. That kind of ambivalence to design is what Chinese weld shops are for.

I think we’re talking two different things here. A Holland will have a different design than a Potts, but both are going to be expertly done.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff N. View Post
I remember asking SEVEN why they didn't have internal rear brake cable routing as an option. "We don't think it has any practical advantage" was their answer, pretty much. Also, I see MOOTS now offers it...they didn't before.

Moots is probably just doing it for hydro disc brakes, not regular caliper brakes.

And I have to agree with Seven in general...though the setup on my Ellis is pretty dang sweet from an artistic standpoint.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:34 PM
Yours truly

For a Ti frame, the seatpost diameter is determined by the insert that is welded to the seat tube. Paragon makes these Ti inserts. There is no reason why a Ti builder is not able to do one in either of the three sizes.

Internal cable/hose routing usually requires inserting a tube into a tube and welding it in place, which could be a challenge for some builders.

Quote:
I'm talking TITANIUM here. If the seat tube OD is 34.9 and a 31.6 seat post option is only available for a select few, what is the limiting factor of the other builders who only offer 27.2? Are they using a tubing with thicker walls or something? Do they not want to use tubing that'd allow for a 31.6 seat post? If so, why not? Just wondering why some can and some can't.
I remember asking SEVEN why they didn't have internal rear brake cable routing as an option. "We don't think it has any practical advantage" was their answer, pretty much. Also, I see MOOTS now offers it...they didn't before.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:42 PM
killin' it

How many seat post size options do you need? It's a GD seat post. Budget in the cost for a new one while you're plunking down $5k for a ti frameset if your current one doesn't fit. Donate the old one to the homeless and go ahead and treat yourself to something nice. You're worth it.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigoat View Post
For a Ti frame, the seatpost diameter is determined by the insert that is welded to the seat tube. Paragon makes these Ti inserts. There is no reason why a Ti builder is not able to do one in either of the three sizes.

Internal cable/hose routing usually requires inserting a tube into a tube and welding it in place, which could be a challenge for some builders.
Exactly! And yes, internal rear cable routing is extra work but...as with most builders that offer this...they can present a bill for such services.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myette10 View Post
How many seat post size options do you need? It's a GD seat post. Budget in the cost for a new one while you're plunking down $5k for a ti frameset if your current one doesn't fit. Donate the old one to the homeless and go ahead and treat yourself to something nice. You're worth it.
Just two... 27.2 and 31.6.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:48 PM
Yours truly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Oh no a builder should never listen to a customer in regards to how a frame is built in terms of construction techniques, as that is not the same thing as offering all the desirable features that a customer wants.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:49 PM
killin' it

Quote:
Just two... 27.2 and 31.6.
Sorry man I feel for you.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:50 PM
but not really

Quote:
I'm talking TITANIUM here. If the seat tube OD for most builders is 34.9 and a 31.6 seat post option is only available for a select few, what is the limiting factor of the other builders who only offer 27.2? Are they using a tubing with thicker walls or something? Do they not want to use tubing that'd allow for a 31.6 seat post? If so, why not? Just wondering why some can and some can't.
I remember asking SEVEN why they didn't have internal rear brake cable routing as an option. "We don't think it has any practical advantage" was their answer, pretty much. Others have said, "We think the holes create unnecessary stress risers", which seems like a cop out. Also, I see MOOTS now offers it...they didn't before.
Did you even read the response that Mike provided to you?

Last edited by old fat man; 05-18-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:59 PM
but not really

Quote:

Please show me the ti insert that Paragon sells to bring a 34.9 tube down to 27.2.

It's okay to not know everything
Old 05-18-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fat man View Post
Please show me the ti insert that Paragon sells to bring a 34.9 tube down to 27.2.

It's okay to not know everything
Why would they? There's no reason to combine a flexible seat post with an ultra stiff seat tube. If someone wants a 31.6 seat post it is going to be paired with a reasonably matched seat tube diameter.

Last edited by Kontact; 05-18-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Oh no a builder should never listen to a customer in regards to how a frame is built in terms of construction techniques, as that is not the same thing as offering all the desirable features that a customer wants.
It isn't the same, but it is brand differentiation. Seven, for instance, refuses to do quite a range of things because they believe it adversely affects the ride and long term durability of the frame. Other companies have their own philosophies that limit what they will or won't do.

We should like that these companies have created their own sets of rules through long experience, rather than getting peeved that every custom maker is like every other.

Does anyone actually complain that Colnago won't supply them with a curved fork or that Spectrum won't TIG a steel frame? Let's get real, here.