Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 08:51 PM

Update on Natchez Trace Parkway assault

The driver who hit a cyclist and claimed he threw the bike at the car has been convicted. 10 months and $1,200 fine.

Considering most of these people get off Scott free, this is a slightly positive outcome.

Last edited by bikinchris; 05-22-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
The driver who hit a cyclist and claimed he threw the bike at the car has been convicted. 10 years and $1,200 fine.

Considering most of these people get off Scott free, this is a slightly positive outcome.
I think it is only 10 months.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:02 PM
ZhugeLiang

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/38105823...-natchez-trace

The man charged with hitting a bicyclist on Natchez Trace Parkway and then leaving the scene back in July 2017 has pleaded guilty to several charges.

In federal court on Monday, Marshall Neely III pleaded guilty to reckless aggravated assault, lying to a federal agent and obstruction of justice.

As part of his plea deal, Neely will spend 10 months in prison, followed by three years of supervised release. The 59-year-old will also be responsible for paying $1,210 in restitution to the victim.

The incident happened on July 8, 2017. Police claim Neely hit the bicyclist, causing him to be thrown off his bike, and did not slow down or stop to check on the man.

Another bicyclist recorded the entire assault on video and posted it on Facebook.

READ MORE: Facebook video shows hit-and-run involving cyclist on Natchez Trace | Bicyclists involved in Natchez Trace hit-and-run share their story | Arrest made in bicyclist hit-and-run on Natchez Trace Parkway | Driver says he didn't realize he hit cyclist | Driver accused of hitting bicyclist on Natchez Trace indicted by federal grand jury

Neely's son went to the Williamson County Sheriff's Office and told police he believed the Volvo in the video was his father's, based on stickers on the car's back windshield.

When authorities went to Neely's house, they said they found him unconscious on the floor. He allegedly told police that the bicyclist threw his bike at him. He also reportedly admitted to taking the stickers off his car so he wouldn't be identified.

Neely previously told News4 he felt bad about what happened but said he did not hit the cyclist on purpose. Neely added he would have stopped if he had realized he hit someone.

Neely is the former dean of the University School of Nashville.

The victim, Tyler Noe, was with a friend training for the Ironman Triathlon when he was struck.

"That’s the craziest thing that's ever happened to me. I've never experienced my life flashing before my eyes like that. And I don't think anyone needs to go through something like that ever," said Noe in a previous interview with News4.

Noe said he was very lucky and that his adrenaline helped him get on his feet immediately after getting hit.

"No one should be scared like that. I'm grateful that after everything that happened to me, I’m still breathing," Noe said.

His friend, Greg Goodman, was wearing a GoPro on his helmet that captured the moment Noe was struck. He turned over the video to investigators.

Goodman also posted the video on Facebook, which has since been viewed over 2 million times.

The Natchez Trace Parkway is a designated bicycle route. In Tennessee, bicyclists are allowed to use the full traffic lane to ride in when necessary.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:23 PM

I hope the victim takes him to the cleaners in the subsequent civil trial.

Surprised that he wasn't convicted of tampering of evidence and obstruction of justice.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:58 PM
slower than you

I doubt there will be much to "take him to the cleaners" for. A scratched up Volvo, maybe.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:55 PM

Yeah, and apparently now without even stickers. And he'll probably be out in 10 days.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
I think it is only 10 months.
Thanks. I corrected it.