Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 09:58 PM

NYC Quesitons

Coming to NYC on a Wednesday evening in July I think from DC. Going to stay just one night, would love to start my Thursday morning before I set out to explore the city the rest of the day (taking a late train back to DC is likely) for just an hour or two with an RCC rental. Ideally, back and ready to go explore from 10am until I have to go to the station.
I posted on the RCC Forum but didn't get a response.

Few questions:

-Any decent Thursday morning group rolls? Not into the park hot laps listed on the RCC app for regular rides.
-How hard would it be to get a ride through and out of the city done in two hours? Anyone have a good GPX file to share?
-How is riding a bike in the city these days? It's been a decade since I've been there.
-Decent hotel in soho or around WSP that wont break the bank for a weeknight?

Thanks-
Old 05-21-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
How hard would it be to get a ride through and out of the city done in two hours? Anyone have a good GPX file to share?
If you start from SoHo, you could ride up to the George Washington Bridge, cross and recross it, and return through Manhattan in two hours. Or you could cross the GWB, ride down the NJ side to Hoboken, and take the PATH back to the city.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:22 PM

Make it three and a half and ...

... you can get the River Road loop in from Soho. Same thing as poster above, but get a beautiful ride up the Hudson along the river through actual forest, lots of actual hills, on a road with few cars, followed by a fast ride back down to the bridge and back down through the city. Worth it.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:21 AM

I'd ride to High Bridge, cross the bridge and take the paths through to Van Cortlandt Park. I'd then ride down Broadway under the elevate tracks from Horace Mann (238th st to 218th st) then cross over on dyckman's (Fort Tyron, you can ride up to the cloisters for views) and take the path along the river home.

Riding under the tracks will fry your senses. Watch the car chase in French Connection first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzEloJ5venk

Last edited by verticaldoug; 05-22-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:46 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyTirando View Post
... you can get the River Road loop in from Soho.
^^^This. Best ~25 mile ride within walking distance (literally) of Manhattan.

Of course, from Soho it's a ~35 mile ride with an hour of junk miles on either end.

You could post on the New York Cycle Club message board to ask if the A/D-SIG crew is still leading their usual Thursday morning River Road ride in July.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
I'd ride to High Bridge, cross the bridge and take the paths through to Van Cortlandt Park. I'd then ride down Broadway under the elevate tracks from Horace Mann (238th st to 218th st) then cross over on dyckman's (Fort Tyron, you can ride up to the cloisters for views) and take the path along the river home.
Although High Bridge is cool, I'm not so sure this is the best route for a tourist on a limited time schedule. But that's just my opinion.

Depending on your appetite for city streets and desire to get out of the city, like others suggested I'd head north on the West Side Greenway, over the GWB onto Henry Hudson Drive and turn around at Ross Dock to stick within your time limit. It'll give you a taste of the contrast of City / Forest that we get to enjoy with some great views. It's mostly an uninterrupted route with no lights and car traffic allowing you to enjoy a decent pace.

Come back the way you came, or to mix it up with a little more time involved, head over to the east side of the island for an island circle

If you've got other interests or need a route file for something, just holler.

Last edited by BobbyJones; 05-22-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:28 AM
aka RAEKWON

I agree, a little more time and go do river road which is very nice. Otherwise I would just do central park, west side path, manhattan bridge, then into brooklyn and a couple laps around prospect.

Ridding a bike in the city is fine, same as a few years ago. Gets chaotic sometimes, but that is part of the fun to me
Old 05-22-2018, 10:08 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
^^^This. Best ~25 mile ride within walking distance (literally) of Manhattan.

Of course, from Soho it's a ~35 mile ride with an hour of junk miles on either end.

You could post on the New York Cycle Club message board to ask if the A/D-SIG crew is still leading their usual Thursday morning River Road ride in July.
AFAIK, Sully, Johel, Fred et al are going to do this. I'm probably going to pick it up this week.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Coming to NYC on a Wednesday evening in July I think from DC. Going to stay just one night, would love to start my Thursday morning before I set out to explore the city the rest of the day (taking a late train back to DC is likely) for just an hour or two with an RCC rental. Ideally, back and ready to go explore from 10am until I have to go to the station.
I posted on the RCC Forum but didn't get a response.

Few questions:

-Any decent Thursday morning group rolls? Not into the park hot laps listed on the RCC app for regular rides.
-How hard would it be to get a ride through and out of the city done in two hours? Anyone have a good GPX file to share?
-How is riding a bike in the city these days? It's been a decade since I've been there.
-Decent hotel in soho or around WSP that wont break the bank for a weeknight?

Thanks-
What is an RCC rental? Will you have a check-out time late enough for you to shower after your ride?
Old 05-22-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
What is an RCC rental? Will you have a check-out time late enough for you to shower after your ride?
Rapha Cycling Club has inexpensive rentals of nice canyons for members for when we travel.

I am beginning to think a ride is too ambitious. Perhaps just coffee at the RCC and off to explore some more. I'd like to get a museum visit in as well as a few other things.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Rapha Cycling Club has inexpensive rentals of nice canyons for members for when we travel.

I am beginning to think a ride is too ambitious. Perhaps just coffee at the RCC and off to explore some more. I'd like to get a museum visit in as well as a few other things.
If you only have two hours for a ride, I think you'd be better off using the free time to explore a museum or visit some other interesting places.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
If you only have two hours for a ride, I think you'd be better off using the free time to explore a museum or visit some other interesting places.
Thats what Im thinking too. It looks like my train is going to head out at 5:30pm on Thursday evening. Not much time to waste.

Thanks to everyone for the contribution.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:13 PM

Yeah, the fact of the matter is in NYC there's a lot of junk miles no matter what. It's either Central or Prospect Park loops for time-efficient rides, or Hudson River Greenway-->River Road (or conversely you could do a Jamaica Bay loop if based in Brooklyn) if you've got more time and want a traditional-feeling road ride.

That said, grabbing a coffee, renting a Citibike and cruising down the West side on the greenway is pleasant and a good way to sight-see.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:17 PM

depending where in lower Manhattan you're staying - just to get to GWB is about a 40 min trek. I don't think you'll have enough time. Laps or riding around the city is your best option.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:08 PM
tailgunning

the better question is... what size bike do you ride?