Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 08:08 PM
Administrator

universal praise. this is good to hear!

i have a 105 unit on order!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i need the 118.5 spindle length, which i think means i'm working with the 105 level stuff if i dont want to spend hours on ebay...
The 118.5 mm BB-6500s are the easiest to find these days. The 109.5 mm ones disappeared pretty early. So you might have the best chance of finding the ideal bottom bracket and at a better price.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:09 PM

I've been using v1 octalink since about 2005 and have serviced the DA BB a couple of times. Have a new DA BB sitting around somewhere as a backup. I find it to be easy and reliable.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 PM
Administrator

none for sale on e-bizzle right now other than a used one, but i'll keep a search open for future proofing!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:15 PM

I haven't seen a 109.5mm Ultegra unit for sale in years so I've stocked up on the 105's. They're good enough for my requirements.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:43 PM

nashbar has the 105 version for $55:
https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/...cket-sh-bb5500

Excel has them on sale for $38
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...ajor=1&minor=6

Jenson @ $34
http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-105...-68mm-English?

I still use one on my flat bar cannondale with a 6500 triple group. I have never had trouble with the BB.

Last edited by NYCfixie; 05-21-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:44 PM

V1 with the narrower spline engagement was for use with the harder forged alloy in the XTR crankset, and also suitable for the road cranks where riders were not landing from jumps with their weight coming down on the horizontal crank arms.
The lesser MTB cranks from XT down with cast HollowTech ("hollow forged" only at the pedal eye btw) got the V2 with longer spline engagement.

Their were altogether four V1 bb lengths available, 109.5mm, 112mm, 116mm and 118mm. The XTR 112mm or 116mm will work with the triple if the seat tube isn't too fat and if the chainstay clears the chainrings. This overall improves a triple's chainline imo little unless you cross-chain the middle and small-to-small.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
V1 with the narrower spline engagement was for use with the harder forged alloy in the XTR crankset, and also suitable for the road cranks where riders were not landing from jumps with their weight coming down on the horizontal crank arms.
The lesser MTB cranks from XT down with cast HollowTech ("hollow forged" only at the pedal eye btw) got the V2 with longer spline engagement.

Their were altogether four V1 bb lengths available, 109.5mm, 112mm, 116mm and 118mm. The XTR 112mm or 116mm will work with the triple if the seat tube isn't too fat and if the chainstay clears the chainrings. This overall improves a triple's chainline imo little unless you cross-chain the middle and small-to-small.
Shimano was rather clear about what size BB to use for road cranks:
109.5 Double
118.0 Triple
Old 05-22-2018, 06:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i mean - shimano went to octalink V2, so V1 must have had some issues?

anyway, i have a crankset i'd like to repurpose from a triple to a wide compact double and it's octalink V1 interface. current BB is roasted.

buy a new BB and go, or skip it and use a ST bb/crank?
V2 had bigger splines.

V2 was for XT and below because 'some' saw 'lash', the aluminum 'valleys' getting munched by the smaller steel 'mountains' of the BB spindle, particularly when jumping with one foot forward and one back. Some track people saw the same thing.
V1, cart bearing ones, are for the most part, fine..kinda small bearings as they made the spindle so large. BUT 'some' issues with octalink made for introduction of external bearing BBs.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:53 AM
Administrator

thanks. i've ordered the 118.5 105 level BB as they are easily available new.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:45 AM

I used V-1 or V-2 octalink for years with the XTR system.
just make sure you get the BB that works with the crankset.
I don't think V1 and V2 are cross compatible, but I could be wrong on that. They are close, but not exact so people had issues...

that said, they were great at the time and better than ISIS and the other stuff, but external bearing BB are better now... and easier to find.

When i finally abandoned the octalink system, I sold off all of my spares on ebay for a ton of money. i was shocked.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
I used V-1 or V-2 octalink for years with the XTR system.
just make sure you get the BB that works with the crankset.
I don't think V1 and V2 are cross compatible, but I could be wrong on that. They are close, but not exact so people had issues...

that said, they were great at the time and better than ISIS and the other stuff, but external bearing BB are better now... and easier to find.

When i finally abandoned the octalink system, I sold off all of my spares on ebay for a ton of money. i was shocked.
You are right..different spline dimensions completely altho I have seen a v1 BB with a v2 crank crammed on it..

Well they are cheaper and far easier to work on but have downsides like what to do when the crank arm of chainring hits a frame or the dragginess of the seals..funny, the headset bearings went inside and the bottom bracket bearings went outside..
Old 05-22-2018, 10:07 AM

I still have one of them, not sure exactly which one, on my MTB. XT BB that I bought sometime around 2003/2004 I think.

I'm not sure I could remove it to service it. It has been working perfectly in my current frame since 2005 with 0 service all these years despite being rode in all kinds of bad weather, salt, you name it.

For some reason the rings haven't worn out, but like I said I am worried it's corroded into the frame or something (it was properly installed, but still).

It has just lasted forever. That bike is basically in a state where the next big thing that goes the bike will just get stripped/tossed/replaced. It's got some nice parts on it but it's positively ancient and not worth putting any of them. Everything on it is 5-10 years out of date minimum and the frame is a design that's almost 20 years old. Next time the wheels go significantly out of true it's probably done because a bunch of the nipples corroded.

I think this old fashioned XT BB might still spin more freely with no chain on it than either of my road bikes which have modern BBs/cranks.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:52 AM

One thing to keep in mind about Octalink is that it is a Shimano proprietary standard, and while they licensed the rights to make Octalink cranks, they never licensed the right to make Octalink BBs to any other company. So while several companies made Octalink cranks, only Shimano has made Octalink BBs. This is unlike many other BB standards, where there are often multiple manufacturers making compatible BBs. If Shimano ever decides to stop making Octalink BBs, then there will be no more Octalink BBs available.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:03 AM

Octalink bbs are the best 3 piece bbs ever made. And yes the duraace 7700 is the most beautifully spinning bb when you get it just right. Spins like a record cup n cone but has the stiffness of a modern system. I always felt like the got the design of the 7710 and 7700 reversed.