Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 08:27 PM

Help me choose - 2018 Orbea Orca vs Cervélo S3

Hello,

Narrowed down my options to an M20 Orbea Orca vs a Cervélo S3. Both will be full Ultegra.

I own a 2013 GRD Orca and love it to bits and have waited 5 years to upgrade. Money not too much of an issue. Have tried both bikes and geometry wise both are great fits. I’m in NorCal and frequently commute to work via cycling in lieu of driving for my dedicated office days as well as go on long group rides and occasional hill climbs.

Gathering opinions as I am at a loss and want both but wife would likely not be happy if I progress down that route.

Thanks!!
Old 05-21-2018, 08:47 PM

I loved my Orca - until the lbs clamped the seat tube and cracked it. Now, I'm riding ti or Pegoretti.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiretrax View Post
I loved my Orca - until the lbs clamped the seat tube and cracked it. Now, I'm riding ti or Pegoretti.
Hope the LBS bought you one of the above..copy to -'pal'

I'd say Orbea, better company, IMHO..I had a genuine Sh__Show with cervelo and a warranty.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:30 AM

Interesting. My friend also went through a bad warranty experience with Cervelo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Hope the LBS bought you one of the above..copy to -'pal'

I'd say Orbea, better company, IMHO..I had a genuine Sh__Show with cervelo and a warranty.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Interesting. My friend also went through a bad warranty experience with Cervelo.
Something quite special with an inside guy at a company calling you a liar..really something..
Old 05-22-2018, 09:32 AM

Yeah, my friend's ordeal totally turned me off the brand even though I'm sure they make good bikes and I even live in the city where they reside.
Another friend had an issue with one of their proprietary seatposts a couple years ago. it didn't get nasty but I just thought it shoulda been resolved a lot faster and without as much inconvenience to my friend.

This probably isn't the type of feedback you had in mind but just things to consider as well.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:20 AM

Huh, I had the absolute opposite experience with Cervelo. 10 year old frame warrantied with zero hassle. Their bikes are great IMO, have had several. My wife still rides a new R3.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 PM

LBS says the same thing that Cervélo is really good about the warranty process. S3 also incredibly comfortable and leaning towards that slightly but hard to ignore the value of Orbea as less $ gets ty the same package in a lighter bike... not that that matters plus there’s brand loyalty and knowing that it’s absolutely something I would enjoy and love having owned one for years... decisions decisions!
Old 05-23-2018, 07:41 AM

Wow.....I would hardly consider a S3 a comfortable road frame....and if looking at the rim brake model, the tire clearance is very tight in the rear for 25mm tires on a wide rim.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:05 AM
Serotta Bike Fit Technician

Check the derailleur hanger alignment fresh out of the box on the S 3 if that is a bike you are interested in. Super light hangers on the rim brake R and S models need significant alignment straight away because the frame isn't perfectly square in that place. Already weakened hanger will come out plane after normal use needing constant realignment and replacement. This has been our experience by a large margin. This process is what Cervelo maintains is acceptable and they will not replace frames with hangers that are not square from the outset.

Pm for further info if you wish.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Our local race team is on Orbea's and I'm pretty sure they are the Orca's. Most of these guys have quite a bit of time in the saddle on a number of bikes, and I can get their input if you are interested.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:00 AM

I have built a couple Orca's for my brother in Law... excellent finish out the box. Rode great as well.

I would go that route.

Stephen
Old 05-23-2018, 01:05 PM

Orbea all the way.... Way better "bling" factor....
Old 05-23-2018, 01:52 PM

From a brand perspective, Orbea's a much cooler marque. Aesthetically, it's a much more attractive package. If you're going the disc route...which you should...there was a lot of thought put into it.

I've not ridden a current-gen S3, but I have ridden an S5, and the Orca is a much better ride in almost all aspects save the aerodorking.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:06 PM
Administrator

I texted one of the guys on the local race team, and they are on the new Orbea Orca and his comment was "Great bike. No complaints. Stiff but still comfy."