Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zank View Post
That style weld is from continuously feeding the wire versus dabbing. It doesn't matter if it's one pass or two.
Hey Mike.

Looks so freaking cool Are you spitting out Ti frames these days ?
Old 05-21-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
Maybe. But Lionel seems to be disagreeing with you about how the welds got smooth. Was this a very early frame with the pressed BB?

I don't know why the scratches would still be visible.
Yep, it had that "wonderful" press-in BB bearing setup. Again, this was in the early days of the 3-2.5 Ti frames. Merlin made them and Spectrum only had stock sizes. I still had to wait nearly a year for it! I even test rode Tom's personal bike. I was a bit over 6' and Tom, well, let's say he is quite a bit under that. We had the seatpost well above the safe insertion limit to get even close to my saddle height.

The ground down welds were one thing I did not really care for. The scratches looked worse, to me, than the welds. Remember, in those days the welds everyone raves over now were considered an eyesore by some. Tom also clear coated the Ti frames. It made cleaning easier but removed the "buff it back to new" feature of brushed versions. The clear coat was rugged but still showed milky white spots where rocks and such had made an impact.

Tim

Last edited by mcteague; 05-21-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Yep, it had that "wonderful" press-in BB bearing setup. Again, this was in the early days of the 3-2.5 Ti frames. Merlin made them and Spectrum only had stock sizes. I still had to wait nearly a year for it! I even test rode Tom's personal bike. I was a bit over 6' and Tom, well, let's say he is quite a bit under that. We had the seatpost well above the safe insertion limit to get even close to my saddle height.

The ground down welds were one thing I did not really care for. The scratches looked worse, to me, than the welds. Remember, in those days the welds everyone raves over now were considered an eyesore by some. Tom also clear coated the Ti frames. It made cleaning easier but removed the "buff it back to new" feature of brushed versions. The clear coat was rugged but still showed milky white spots where rocks and such had made an impact.

Tim
Yeah, early Merlin welds were pre-puddle and pretty fat looking even by today's standards.