Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2024, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanH View Post
Bontrager speed stop won't work because of the cable exit below the BB placement.
Oh yes, I had forgotten that there is a special version of the EE brakes with different cable routing for under-chainstay mounting. As far as adding/removing spacers under the brake pads, that probably won't make a difference. EE brakes use a bellcrank style actuation which remains nearly linear through out its travel. Adding/removing spacers under the pads just offsets the range of pad travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanH View Post
What happens with SRAM levers and Shimano brakes? Isn't that the combo where the whole lever travel barely moves the calipers so the calipers have to be super close? If so, shouldn't the opposite be true?
Yes, as mentioned above, the new Shimano levers have a higher cable travel (lower leverage) that earlier Shimano levers, and probably SRAM levers as well. But the change wasn't drastic, so it may only give a smidge more clearance. That's an awfully expensive experiment, which may yield only small results.

Under chainstay brake mounting is an idea that keeps getting recycled, and there are good reasons that bike builders keep going back to traditional brake mounting.
Old 05-02-2024, 03:39 PM
tailgunning

this is probably a stupid question -- but you have the single spacer on the calipers right now right? by default the EEs ship with 2x of the brake shoe spacers on each side (at least mine did)
Old 05-02-2024, 04:55 PM
Formerly rchman

@Mark thanks for the knowledgeable response

My issue isn't constrained by how wide the brakes open. I can get the caliper to be further open (pads further away) but then my lever would bottom out on the handlebar. I currently already have way more pull than I like. So, this is why I'm trying to explore if there's alternative options on cable pull ratios.

As someone mentioned above, single pivot brakes allowed for a very large pad clearance while still performing well. But, I don't think they make single pivot, direct mount brakes?
Old 05-02-2024, 05:11 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

yeah, my front English direct mount i just sand the pads to get it to even fit a narrow rim due to the aero fork. Just will need to replace sooner is all...

Edit, just read ur last post. Campy pull the culprit I guess.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:09 PM

Depending on the direct-mount stud location and reach, perhaps these Paul Racer M calipers could work?..

Also, from what I recall messing around on my bike, SRAM levers seemed to have a lower mechanical advantage (i.e., they pull more cable for a given amount of lever travel) than the Shimano levers that were intended to be used with dual pivot brakes. I can try to measure the cable pull on my SRAM set-up, but with the caveat that my stuff tops out at 10 speed, and the newer stuff may be different?
Old 05-02-2024, 10:49 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastashop View Post
Depending on the direct-mount stud location and reach, perhaps these Paul Racer M calipers could work?..
How would those work without a cable hanger?