Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Rides, Events, Gatherings and Charity events

Old 03-19-2017, 09:58 AM

Rasputitsa

Saturday, 4/22 in E. Burke, VT

Apparently, the course has essentially been reversed this year. That could mean another run, but this time up the potentially muddier side of "Cyberia." Looking forward to it, and still gotta get the bike together and start riding!

I've done it each year and wonder about the bump in crowd numbers for this rendition. It should be fun in any event.

Last edited by Jad; 03-19-2017 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Date/place
Old 04-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Ride or what?!

Old 04-23-2017, 08:48 PM

I didn't it for the second year in a row. Totally awesome this year. The CX finish was a great addition. Looking forward to next year!
Old 02-24-2018, 05:45 PM

Whose riding this year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2018, 01:05 PM

I'll be there--gotta get moving on some riding, so it's good motivation. I think the pre-mud season mud season has got a good start in Burke...
Old 02-26-2018, 04:10 PM
weather watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad View Post
I'll be there--gotta get moving on some riding, so it's good motivation. I think the pre-mud season mud season has got a good start in Burke...
At the rate things are going, Cyberia may be melted out by race day!
Old 04-14-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scharny View Post
At the rate things are going, Cyberia may be melted out by race day!

The latest Instagram showed snow at the finish at the BASE of the ski hill!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2018, 09:04 AM

how was it?
Old 04-27-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisen View Post
how was it?
Brutal (AF)

3 hike-a-bike sections through slushy snow, the last was the final 1/2 mile or so to the finish. I got to the bottom of the final hill into the resort and had nothing in the tank. I'm a big dude (260lbs) and 34x34 wasn't low enough gearing for me on several climbs. So the walk (of shame) up that last 3ish miles took me nearly an hour on dead legs BEFORE the jog through the snow to the finish...

Several very sketchy sections of light snow over icy roads and one road down hill with very coarse fresh gravel that had me white knuckled.

I'm glad I did it, glad to be done with it...

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
how was it?
Had fun. The snow sections were a bit much. Even the fat bikes were walking those, though I suspect they could have let some air out and floated over. The weather was very agreeable. Since it rained the day before, the course was suitably muddy but totally rideable, aside from the snow.
We did on tandem with appropriate gearing for the climbs- 30/36, but the WTB Byways tested my confidence on the muddy rutted descents, especially with my stoker freaking out. We actually fell three times trying to ride in the snow, but they were low speed, slow-motion falls.
The volunteers were great. This being a "race" I was not expecting the volunteer support along the way, with beer, pickle, and energy bar hand-ups, maple syrup shots from shot glasses made of ice, etc.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
Had fun. The snow sections were a bit much. Even the fat bikes were walking those, though I suspect they could have let some air out and floated over. The weather was very agreeable. Since it rained the day before, the course was suitably muddy but totally rideable, aside from the snow.
We did on tandem with appropriate gearing for the climbs- 30/36, but the WTB Byways tested my confidence on the muddy rutted descents, especially with my stoker freaking out. We actually fell three times trying to ride in the snow, but they were low speed, slow-motion falls.
The volunteers were great. This being a "race" I was not expecting the volunteer support along the way, with beer, pickle, and energy bar hand-ups, maple syrup shots from shot glasses made of ice, etc.
Which tandem were you riding, I hike-a-biked with a couple on a Cannondale and finished pretty close to them.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbhidy View Post
Which tandem were you riding, I hike-a-biked with a couple on a Cannondale and finished pretty close to them.

That was us! Most likely am guessing. I was aware of four tandems. We never saw the two in front, and were cat-and-mousing with a Salsa tandem much of the way.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
That was us! Most likely am guessing. I was aware of four tandems. We never saw the two in front, and were cat-and-mousing with a Salsa tandem much of the way.
This is me at the finish (best described as waddling) through the snow https://www.instagram.com/p/Bh15kmqFRo4/

Old 05-04-2018, 08:58 AM

Sounds like my kind of awful! Thinking of getting a crew together for next year. Thanks for sharing folks!
Old 04-27-2018, 03:56 PM
Imshi Cycles

Quote:
how was it?
awesome! one of my favorite years, and ive done all 5.

compared to years past, the snow sections were very friendly, cyberia was much shorter and flatter than previous snow hike-a-bike's that have featured in this race. most of the last section just before the finish was also quite rideable on 37's, including the run into the finish line. maybe faster to run it (if you were racing) but i personally prefer to finish the BIKE race on my BIKE

the roads had a great variety of conditions to offer. slush, mud, snow, ice, soft, hard, fast, slow...it was a complete cross section of spring in the NEK.

its a challenging race, make no mistake about it, not a good "intro to gravel" by any means. but if you are experienced on dirt and looking for something to test your skills, its a must-experience for sure.

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 05-04-2018 at 10:35 AM.