Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2019, 09:44 AM

B&M Secula plus is great. Mine is mounted on the seat stay. I use a battery powered flasher during the day as well.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post

I owned a bike a few years ago that had a dynamo hub and loved the functionality and never having to worry about charging a battery or anything else.

There is something extremely satisfying about generating our own electricity for the lights on the bikes.
Not just lights, with a USB converter (e.g. Igaro D1) you can also charge electronic devices, like GPS units, phones etc. using the dynamo, great for when touring on a bike.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
The comparison to a Dinotte is not realistic. To me, they are for different purposes. A Dinotte has massive power to make a good daytime light that wakes the texters from their state of distraction. I find that mine is way too bright for nighttime use, even on the lowest setting (non blinking of course).

All dyno tail lights are much weaker and are only useful at night. In fact they are perfect for that. I have a chainstay mount B+M Secula. I don't have a rack to mount to, so some of the bigger B+M lights aren't really an option.
Yeah, I meant which dynamo tail light is the "Dinotte" of dynamo tail lights (i.e. upper tier, top notch, etc.), not which dynamo tail light is as bright as a Dinotte.

Thanks for all the input. I don't have a rack on the bike so it sounds like the Secula Plus may be a good option. It will be run along with a batter powered light (Dinotte, actually) with the purpose being that if for some reason the battery light were to die I wouldn't be left lightless.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockd15 View Post
Yeah, I meant which dynamo tail light is the "Dinotte" of dynamo tail lights (i.e. upper tier, top notch, etc.), not which dynamo tail light is as bright as a Dinotte.
I see. Sorry about that.

Unfortunately, there is no good comparison to Dinotte on that front either. Dinotte lights are very good in both their performance and quality of construction / durability. There aren't really any dyno tail lights like that. You have those that are built well (Supernova) that are mediocre performers, and B+M lights which perform well, but are generally a bit on the chinzy side (lots of plastic that would shatter if you dropped it). At least the B+M lights aren't too terribly expensive.

I don't know if any dyno tail lights that match the Dinotte combination of rock solid construction and high performance.

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/
Old 01-31-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
B+M lights which perform well, but are generally a bit on the chinzy side (lots of plastic that would shatter if you dropped it). At least the B+M lights aren't too terribly expensive.
That's true of some of the B+M lights, but I have to put a good word in here for the IQ-X -- it's well made (of metal) and I also like the mount, because you can hack it into a good fender-mount.

I upgraded to the IQ-X from an Eyc. I definitely agree with your assessment wrt to the Eyc; the Eyc (unlike the IQ-X) also isn't really bright enough for dark/rural settings.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efixler View Post
That's true of some of the B+M lights, but I have to put a good word in here for the IQ-X -- it's well made (of metal) and I also like the mount, because you can hack it into a good fender-mount.

I upgraded to the IQ-X from an Eyc. I definitely agree with your assessment wrt to the Eyc; the Eyc (unlike the IQ-X) also isn't really bright enough for dark/rural settings.
Agreed. But specifically when it comes to tailights, options are poorer.

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/
Old 01-31-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I see. Sorry about that.

Unfortunately, there is no good comparison to Dinotte on that front either. Dinotte lights are very good in both their performance and quality of construction / durability. There aren't really any dyno tail lights like that. You have those that are built well (Supernova) that are mediocre performers, and B+M lights which perform well, but are generally a bit on the chinzy side (lots of plastic that would shatter if you dropped it). At least the B+M lights aren't too terribly expensive.

I don't know if any dyno tail lights that match the Dinotte combination of rock solid construction and high performance.
That's kind of the feeling I've had. That should be ok for my purposes, I think.

I'm my Googling I did come across someone saying you can get an ac/dc converter and run the Supernova tail light with a non-Supernova headlight.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:54 PM
Randomhead

it's too bad nobody makes a high-end taillight. Well, Schmidt charges enough that their taillight has to be considered high-end. I would really like to see one at night, the fender mount looks really nice. For $100, it better be good.

Like I said up-thread, the supernova taillight is really bright. So bright I wonder if that's why the headlight is so dim. But I don't think I would use it with another brand.