Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 10:04 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Can anyone explain how an autonomous car can position itself on a snow covered road?....or a dirt road?.....or new pavement that hasn't had lines painted yet?

dave
The Uber AV test cars here in Pittsburgh don't operate in bad weather.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship View Post
Have you seen the Rivian? I dunno about coal rolling rednecks but this truck makes a claimed 800hp and has a 400 mile range and lots of extra cargo space. The real issue is who wants to spend 70k on a truck?
70k on a farging US made truck is about standard..maybe a 'little' at the high end but my Bro in Law, works for a local Ford dealer, and $100k trucks are not that uncommon. People are such sheeple..they think $2 gas is like forever...

Musk says he'll be on Mars pretty soon too..look up "eccentric billionaire"..see pic of Elon....
Old 02-20-2019, 07:18 AM

Being in the IT field and understanding how products are delivered to production with bugs and security flaws I would never trust such a vehicle from a pure safety perspective anytime soon.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:33 AM
Hey, watch this!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Can anyone explain how an autonomous car can position itself on a snow covered road?....or a dirt road?.....or new pavement that hasn't had lines painted yet?

dave
Tesla is gunning for your autocross titles my friend
Old 02-20-2019, 08:56 AM

I like to drive. I have no desire for a car that does it for me. Hell, I still like using CD's and actually turning my head around to look out the back window. Being completely reliant on the vehicle seems pretty scary.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:35 AM
AZ Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I like to drive. I have no desire for a car that does it for me. Hell, I still like using CD's and actually turning my head around to look out the back window. Being completely reliant on the vehicle seems pretty scary.
As of now, having autonomous cars being mandatory is not the question. The question is about when those systems will be available and acceptably reliable for those who want it.

I like driving myself, and to be a little immodest, I'm good at it. I would leave autonomous systems turned off most of the time, but, every now and then there are times when it would be nice to have the car take me somewhere. Then there's the fact that a strong majority of drivers are poor to incompetent, and that's when they're paying attention to the road. Add in the lack of self control with the 500 potential distractions and we have roadways full of people who shouldn't be driving at all. I want them to have autonomous systems available. They're obviously not interested in driving to begin with and the world is a better place without them driving. But no, not mandatory.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparPorsche View Post
Being in the IT field and understanding how products are delivered to production with bugs and security flaws I would never trust such a vehicle from a pure safety perspective anytime soon.
Exactly. Car companies are so cost-focused that they would sell their first child for a penny a car. How am I supposed to trust such a company to fix their software or deliver a safe software in the first place? This is a really difficult engineering problem, vulnerable road users are just going to have to get out of the way. No thanks.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Yeah, that's just what we need...

W.