Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 11:14 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
I had a similar thing with my Gravel King SK's on Belgiums and going from a double wrap to single wrap of rim tape fixed it.
Will look into this. The tape is what came on the rim and probably double. But the thing is, the bead is on the channel and there is no tape on that part of the channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Park made some pliers that will seat a bead. Probably find one at an established bike shop. PTS-1, $56. They work great. Not sure how big of a tire they work on, might be limited to less than 35mm-ish. I have used a rag and channel locks with some success.
I saw those, good sugestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I don't think this is your problem, but Jan Heine had a blog post on mounting tires on deep well rims. When I realized that the trouble I was having getting tires to seat correctly on my Velocity Synergy rims was the rims, nit the tires, I had the wheels rebuilt with Boyd Altamont Lites, problem solved. I wished the wheel builder of the original wheels knew enough to not recommend the Synergy, but those are the breaks. Went to a different builder for the rebuild.
hmmm, the rims are not even that wide though, 21mm internal. And the tires are 36mm tires.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:22 AM

Challenge tires are, without a doubt, the worst. Sorry you're going through it with these QC issues.

I'd rather walk.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Challenge tires are, without a doubt, the worst. Sorry you're going through it with these QC issues.

I'd rather walk.
Unfortunately, I have to agree here. I want to like Challenge tires, but the problems I had with their Paris Roubaix were numerous and annoying. They make what is IMO one of the most beautiful tires out there, but the performance and QC issues are horrible. If they could consistently make a tire that you could "mount and forget" I'd be on board as a regular user.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:32 AM

Had a similar problem with a pair of clement (donnely) MSO tubeless. Seated fully but the tread was wandering and off center in places. Tech support confirmed it was a manufacturing issues that they had been getting sporadic reports. Said it was safe to ride as is, but provided a straight running set replacements for free none the less. I'd speak to challenge and see what they say.

Last edited by batman1425; 02-19-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:50 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1425 View Post
Had a similar problem with a pair of clement (donnely's) MSO tubeless. Seated fully but the tread was wandering and off center in places. Tech support confirmed it was a manufacturing issues that they had been getting sporadic reports. Said it was safe to ride as is, but provided a straight running set replacements for free none the less. I'd speak to challenge and see what they say.
email is out to challenge, lets see what they say...
Old 02-19-2019, 01:25 PM

What are you using for rim tape? could that be obstructing the tire from seating properly?
Old 02-19-2019, 02:11 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambers3 View Post
What are you using for rim tape? could that be obstructing the tire from seating properly?
just the tape that came with the wheels, so reynolds tubeless tape.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:06 AM

Mounting issues aside, I don't trust Challenge tires after a few bad experiences with them. Panaracer/Compass are safer options, I think. Good luck with your Challenge tires.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:21 AM

Challenge - "The most ironic name in the tire business"

Last edited by charliedid; 02-20-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:20 AM

Thank you for this thread. After my unpleasant experience with Challenge tubulars a while back I was noodling on trying some of their newer big-volum32 or 36mm) gravel tubs. What was I thinking???
Old 02-20-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
just the tape that came with the wheels, so reynolds tubeless tape.
Maybe remove the tire and check for high spots with the tape? Unfamiliar with the thickness of Reynolds tape, but that could be a factor.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:27 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Thank you for this thread. After my unpleasant experience with Challenge tubulars a while back I was noodling on trying some of their newer big-volum32 or 36mm) gravel tubs. What was I thinking???
I hate that I had to be the test victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by slambers3 View Post
Maybe remove the tire and check for high spots with the tape? Unfamiliar with the thickness of Reynolds tape, but that could be a factor.
Yeah I will probably retape and see if this is the problem. It is strange though that it also happens on a different set of rims.

Challenge actually has been messaging me on this which I do appreciate, they were quick with a reply. I am going to try a few more things and see if I can make it work. They assure me based on the pictures that the bead is NOT in so I need to see what I can do. Maybe I will take tape out and mount and see if its the tape.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I hate that I had to be the test victim
Nah, I had my own prior experience. This just reminded me of that.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:26 PM

I had this issue a month ago with 32mm gravel kings on boyd altamonts.Both wheels. It was driving me crazy. I fixed it by pumping the tires to about 110 psi or so for about 10 seconds. Then down to normal 45 psi. Perfect.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:39 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I had this issue a month ago with 32mm gravel kings on boyd altamonts.Both wheels. It was driving me crazy. I fixed it by pumping the tires to about 110 psi or so for about 10 seconds. Then down to normal 45 psi. Perfect.

ah. Interesting. I have gone over 5psi but don't really want to go too much over the max. I think with 32mm you can gl up to 110psi