Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 09:54 AM

Armadillo tires

A mechanic at my LBS recently told me the most thorn-resistant tires in their experience are Specialized Armadillos, Conti Gatorskins, and Schwalbe Marathons.

I have Schwalbe Marathons and Duranos on two bikes, so decided to get a set of Armadillos. (Incidentally, I've found Duranos are not nearly as puncture proof as Marathons.) At a recent group ride a man told me he had run Armadillos for years, then, around 2000 he had tread separation on several, including a brand-new one, and gave up on the brand.

Has anyone else had that experience? If so, was it recently?

Perhaps his experience was an anomaly?

Or Specialized has moved production since then?

Or they have changed the formula?
Old 02-18-2019, 10:09 AM

I had tread separation on two of them also. Around 2010 or so.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:36 AM
Registered (ab)User

I ran Armadillo Elites on my commuter/foul weather bike for 11 years (2007-2018) and never once had a tread separation.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:41 PM

One of the toughest tires out there, and also one of the nastiest to ride. Uncomfortable, not particularly good on slippery surfaces, just miserable riding. They did avoid flats and they did last forever, which was not a benefit in my mind.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Commuted on them for years also. The original armadillos rode like crap but never flatted. The armadillo elites ride quite a bit better , still not great and I did have tread separation on one tire about 2011- the shop took it back and replaced it for free. The marathons have a pretty similar ride (harsh) but a bit better traction in the wet. I also found duranos not as puncture proof as marathons but the ride is a little better.
Basically any punture proof tire is going to have a lousy ride compared to any good, supple road tire.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Basically any punture proof tire is going to have a lousy ride compared to any good, supple road tire.
The gasman knows what he's talking about.

There are different levels of compromise with puncture resistance/durability and ride quality. If you increase one variable, you tend to decrease the other.

Imagine, if you will, one tire to rule them all: puncture resistant, durable, supple, light weight, low rolling resistance, cornered well, good on wet roads, and with great temperature range, for $7.

That tire is not currently being made.

In the meantime, any tire you choose is a compromise one (or a few) of those variables that are most important to you.

Last edited by berserk87; 02-18-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:44 PM
Kind of OK

You could just go ahead and go with wood tires and get the same effect. I had a set and was gobsmacked at how bad the ride was. Really.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:40 PM

I used Armadillo tires on my Oahu commuter for three years. Once a week I'd deflate the tire, pinch the tread, and use a scribe to pick out the chunks of glass. The only flat I got was when I hit a section of barbed wire fence and that was about the same as hitting a roofing nail. I'd replace the rear tire every 3 months (1800 miles) the front every 6 months. They wouldn't be worn out at 1800 miles, I'd just reach my threshold of missing chunks of tread.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:50 PM
Proud Grandpa

Thorns?

Put some goop in those tubes. OrangeSeal is what I rec. but even Slime works.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:28 PM

I've run armadillos in the winter in the past...boy do they ride rough. durable though
Old 02-19-2019, 02:12 PM

I rode a set once. I decided I would rather change a flat, ride a flat, or just ride on the rim.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:22 PM

If I commuted in miserable or cold weather......flat resistance w/b everything.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
One of the toughest tires out there, and also one of the nastiest to ride. Uncomfortable, not particularly good on slippery surfaces, just miserable riding. They did avoid flats and they did last forever, which was not a benefit in my mind.
My '97 Armadillo still rides the back wheel when the bike is in the basement on the trainer. Can't disagree with your description of its riding characteristics on the road and it weighs a ton, but is fine on the trainer and thus far has been indestructible.
Gatorskins for the road.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:25 AM

Slime tubes...... anyone using them?

For spring am going to run a pair of 28c tires and need new tubes for same. Am wondering about Slime tubes due to all the trash that is on the side of the roads around here after the winter. Do they work well? Anyone tried them and think they are good? Don't care about weight as I'm in no hurry in the spring.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97CSI View Post
For spring am going to run a pair of 28c tires and need new tubes for same. Am wondering about Slime tubes due to all the trash that is on the side of the roads around here after the winter. Do they work well? Anyone tried them and think they are good? Don't care about weight as I'm in no hurry in the spring.
You can read reviews on the website of one of our forum sponsors: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...g-tubes?sg=500.

Tags
armadillo, puncture resistance, tires